Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Defender - what do I need to know.
TimC

posted on 18/1/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Defender - what do I need to know.

Morning All,

Myself and the brunette both love the look of a Landrover Defender. I'm about to move away from a Co Car so it presents a potential opportunity to give proper 4x4 ownership a go.

The side-benefit is that I'll have something to tow the racecar.

Now truth be told, I don't see myself doing much offroading; I confess it's an image thing as much as anything.

I don't want to spend 5-figures, in fact much less would be better. But, can I get something really smart and reliable for sensible money? What are the pitfalls?

I really like the look of this on Pistonheads.

What do you think?

tul214

posted on 18/1/12 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have never had one but did test drive a few. (we ended up buying a D3!)

From what I saw at that price, it is a bargain.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Now truth be told, I don't see myself doing much offroading; I confess it's an image thing as much as anything.
What do you think?

You want to look like a C***?!?

[Edited on 18/1/12 by loggyboy]

TimC

posted on 18/1/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

You want to look like a C***?!?

Talk me through that then Genius....

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just my opinion on 4x4s that are bought as status symbols!
splitrivet

posted on 18/1/12 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Havent had a Land Rover but used to drive a jeep was good fun for the first 6 months but soon got sick of having my teeth shaken out on even the shortest journey, cr@p handling, cr@p, fuel consumption, no security (just had to pop the soft top to nick gear) and generally feeling like I was driving 1940's technology and this was after I'd uprated suspension/shocks. In the end the missus wouldnt even get in it.
When the sun came out and you removed the ragtop it was brill but usually as soon as you started taking the top off you could see the clouds coming over and it took half an hour the put the bleeding thing back on.
But I did have bazzing fun offroading in it at weekends, but if your not offroading and have no intention of doing so I honestly cant see the point.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

TAZZMAXX

posted on 18/1/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
TimC, I had a 200tdi Defender truck bodied and it was a fun vehicle, good for towing as well. My only criticism of Defenders, and you'll find out whether this affects you by sitting in one, is that you may get annoyed with your right arm being so close to the door and window and then your left arm having to reach out a mile to change gear. A foible of the original design as it were. Being before ecu's it will still be nice and simple, no unitized injectors to fail and break the bank with. If you fit in it and feel comfortable you will enjoy it.
tul214

posted on 18/1/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just my opinion on 4x4s that are bought as status symbols!

What do you suggest I buy then to pull 2 horses + box out of a muddy show field?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tul214
What do you suggest I buy then to pull 2 horses + box out of a muddy show field?

You really need to think about that a bit more....

tul214

posted on 18/1/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Why?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Geez - you have one cuz you need one, where as im stating that i find it laughable that people by them for status symbols without acctually using them for their intended purpose.
Neville Jones

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota Hilux crew cab or Landcruiser.

Thousands of terrorists, minority armies, african militia, NATO and UN can't be wrong.

Cheers,
Nev.

tul214

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Geez - you have one cuz you need one, where as im stating that i find it laughable that people by them for status symbols without acctually using them for their intended purpose.

You made the sweeping comment!!

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sweeping as in saying that people that buy 4x4s for status symbols are c***s. Not that sweeping, id say its a fairly recognised in public opinion. 'Chelsea Tractors' and all that.

TAZZMAXX

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sweeping as in saying that people that buy 4x4s for status symbols are c***s. Not that sweeping, id say its a fairly recognised in public opinion. 'Chelsea Tractors' and all that.

That's an argument that could be applied to many vehicles though about needs and wants. We can't use cars on public roads that are capable of achieving over twice the motorway speed limit, but we have them. True, a lot is about status but why not if you can afford it?

T66

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
My mates TD5 90 on mt tyres used to do 30mpg....

If a 4x4 is a status symbol, whats a Lotus 7 type car by the way ?

Loads of good London charge victims kicking about, Im seriously considering buying one so I can join you looking like Loggy suggests.

My last 4x4 was a Lada Niva, (Ukrainian tractor) I bought this purely as a Chelsea tractor/status thing - Cravat, Plus4s and a tweed moustache...current one is a Freelander van, rigger boots, Snickers jacket and 40mpg.

90 TD5 in the planning stage.

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
But if you buy a 100k ferrari and only use it to tootle back and forwards to work or shops you are definately a c***! more so than the Cheltrac owners!
michael kitching

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
defenders are great vehicles but you do need a constant supply of money with them. before you buy check bulkhead for rust and oil in the loom. and also be prepared for a loud and fairly harsh ride. but this vehicle will do everything you want it to.
PSpirine

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bla bla bla.

Back on track.

Defenders are rubbish to drive. I have the opportunity to drive brand new ones and even those are appalling. If you're going to do some off-roading, they are fab and a lot of fun. However, they are crap on most roads, and have a HORRENDOUS turning circle.

If you think you may ever decide you want to have some fun green-laning etc. then you could always give one a try. 80s-90s defenders seem to have stopped depreciating if kept in decent nick so you won't lose much if you run one for a year. They're fairly reliable in the sense that they'll usually get you where you're going, but bits WILL stop working and there will constantly be small things to fix.

I'd have a think about what it is you want from it as a car.. There are other cars to look "cool" in (perfectly valid reason for a purchase if that's what you want) which are much better to drive..

michael kitching

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
bla bla bla?
i just basicly said the same as you have!

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by michael kitching
bla bla bla?

I think he was bla-ing at me!

mad4x4

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Look for obvious damange on the chassis esp the central crossmember under the gearbox, this takes abuse offroad.

RUST on Chassis and out riggers, Rear crossmember,

Check Bushes where axle ties to chassis

Front Axle spring mounts on Axle rust badly

Bulkhead just at the corner below the windscreen and down the A pilar.

Dents on the front wings just in front of wheel arch show it has been offroad

Biggest thing is go over the chassis very carefully. every thing else on them is not to bad.

If shouldn;t "wander" to much on the road if it does check backlash on steering

Check the drop arm out of the steering box these fail due to lack of grease/maint . Cheap fix if you catch it before it fails completly.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

PSpirine

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry bla bla bla was in reference to the off-topic chat about chelsea tractor images etc. Whilst I agree with it, it's completely irrelevant to the OP!
tul214

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by michael kitching
bla bla bla?

I think he was bla-ing at me!

And me!

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Ian Pearson

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
A Toyota Landcruiser or Hi Lux will give you years of comfort and reliability with comfort. I grew up on a diet of Landrovers, but the Landcruiser decimated the Landrover market for a reason. I worked in the oilfield in the Mid East for 7 years and the Landcruiser Pickup was the workhorse. Rugged, reliable and extremely capable, it's also comfortable. I almost bought a Discovery a few years back, but after much research, ended up with a 12v 80 Series Landcruiser. It'll legally tow up to 3.5 tonnes with ease, and seven years later I'm still driving a 22 year old car that looks and drives like a car under ten years old.

It's thirsty though, but the 24v is slightly better. The Hi Lux is probably more fuel efficient. Do some research and don't rush your decision.

Good Luck!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.