Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Giving up !
pumpers

posted on 18/1/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Giving up !

After much thought and heartache I've decided to give up racing for the immediate future. I'm just too busy to carry on and in all honesty have lost some of the passion. My locost has been sat in the garage for 18 months without turning a wheel !!! So it's time to get rid.

Could do with a bit of advice on best way to get rid of everything.

Should I strip everything down and sell seperately or go for the package option? I have everything required to start racing ( car/trailer/spares/racesuit etc) although the car will need some fettling now as it's not moved for a while.

Car is a Locost ( home built chassis/wishbones/brackets) with randall engine and some procomp upgrades ( suspenson/fuel tank/diff/gearbox/driveshaft). Engine requires a rebuild as it's burning a little oil, pretty sure it's the piston rings that require replacing. Certainly needs sorting before racing it again.

Also have a load of spares ( wheels/gearbox/engine- not race spec/diffs/etc)

Would I get alot extra if I sold seperately after taking off auction fees etc? and would it be worth it in terms of my time stripping everything and advertising it?

your thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks.

Craig.

MakeEverything

posted on 18/1/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you sell it on racecarsdirect as a starter package?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/1/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sympathies, I have some empathy. I've not been out on track all last year. The passion has dulled, the energy and inertia required to start it all up again isn't all there... Wiping old people's bottoms for a living recently has just added to the walls that rise around me.

OK, so I sold the car recently. Unlike the majority, I decided to sell it. I didn't break bits off it, haggle over the last pound or put it on Ebay for a 'value' several times more than any non - 'timewasting' indivual would pay.

Someone got a 'bargin' (Ebay speak and spelling), but I got a chapter out of my life to let the new one in. Life is too short to worry about what something owes you. Cancer and the Care Home await if you delay.

So - my advice: Put the whole lot on Pistonheads, don't answer Emails (serious people will phone). First person to the door with money in their hands is King, however much money it actually is.

eddie99

posted on 18/1/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Give us prices
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Chippy

posted on 18/1/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Personaly I think that I would sell it as seperate articles, "ie" Car, Trailer, Wheels, Gearbox, etc etc. I think you would make more that way, rather than selling the complete lot as one item. Just IMHO. Best of luck with the sale(s). Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

whitestu

posted on 19/1/12 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Personaly I think that I would sell it as seperate articles, "ie" Car, Trailer, Wheels, Gearbox, etc etc. I think you would make more that way, rather than selling the complete lot as one item. Just IMHO. Best of luck with the sale(s). Cheers Ray

+1

If you want to maximise the money you get split it and ebay it.

Stu

pumpers

posted on 19/1/12 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies everyone. I'll take a day off next week and itemise everything I've got, look at some realistic pricing and make a decision.
It would be a shame to split it all as the car has had a reasonable amount of development since I built it and with someone who was prepared to develop it some more and a decent driver it could well be somewhere near the front.
I'm not that bothered about maximising my return although it would be nice !! If the right buyer came along wanting to get started with a half decent car I'd proabably sell at a good price !

thanks again

Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.