Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wtd. mountain bike.
owelly

posted on 19/1/12 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
wtd. mountain bike.

As the title....
I don't want to spend much as its only for the odd trundle with the kids and the ocasional trip to the pub!
Localish to Whitby/Teesside or Worksop/Sheffield or the roads in between.
I've seen a Saxon Everest on Ebay for £90 delivered but I guess they'll be crap? So what have you folks got cluttering up your sheds? Or recommend me a bike for sub-£100.
Cheers.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 19/1/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
For a hundred quid you'll get a pile that won't work after about 15 minutes. Your best bet would be to get to your local bike shop (lbs) and chat to them, buy a decent bike (on cycle to work scheme if poss) then start using it properly. It's fun, hard wok, very rewarding, by product is you get healthier (except when recovering from crashes) etc etc and you can still go out on local trundles with kids. Get involved with local mtb clubs (look up Go Ride which are aimed at getting younger generation into cycling etc).

Then you'll end up slightly obsessed and go to places like this just south of Edinburgh (Tweed Valley)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIPvZ19oQ7Y

or Wales etc etc etc

It's a bloody brilliant sport, I just wish I hadn't waited until I was 43 to get back into cycling

Cheers

ATB

Simon

owelly

posted on 19/1/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply but as I said, I don't mind spending a hundred quid but I don't have any more spare cash. And I certainly don't have any time for another hobby. There's no chance of any ride to work scheme as my bosses know there's no way any of us would want to ride 20 miles to work, up some notoriously steep hills, over notoriously dangerous roads to get to work, do a 12hr shift and then ride home again! Both journeys would be in the dark during the winter months, and dodging caravans and tourists for the summer months. I did call in at the only bike shop in Whitby and he offered me a new bike, made from cast iron and granite, for £125 or what he called a 'mid-range bike' for £300.
So, I've still got £100......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 19/1/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Just have to keep your eyes on ebay/gumtree.... they pop up occasionally...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

twybrow

posted on 19/1/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Freecycle! I got a very nice hybrid bike, that needed a tweak to the brakes, and a new wheel (£2 from the tip)... Save your money, and have a look at what others are giving away!
richmars

posted on 19/1/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Like others have said £100 isn't a lot, but if it's all you want to spend, don't waste it getting something with suspension. Keep looking for something second hand, but for limited use, just a basic hard tail (non suspension) is the best way to get something decent.
Strontium Dog

posted on 19/1/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Local tip, two bikes for a fiver and Bob's your Auntie he certainly isn't! I paid more for my last bikes tyres than the bike by a long way! Locost me.....or is that just cheap?

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

Simon

posted on 19/1/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't say anything about using it for work - I've done about 2000 miles on my bike over the last couple of years and maybe 30 - 40 to and fro work Of course the advantage of a mtb, is you don't have to ride on the roads - paths/bridleways/farmtacks etc are much more fun and safer

As others say, buy as good as you can 2nd hand and hard tail - front suspension may be a bit iffy though

ATB

Simon

owelly

posted on 19/1/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers folks. In the interest of the environment, you are no longer able to buy stuff from the local tip. It now has has to travel by lorry to the other side of the country to be recycled. And the local Freecycle is full of professional 'Freecyclists' who gather stuff up and sell it!
But, I won't bother with anything new. I'll keep jumping in skips and scrounging through junk shops.

nick205

posted on 19/1/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I hear your budget constraints, but a new £100 adult bike will last you 6-12 months at best and be a pig to ride. If you can bide your time, watch the local papers, gumtree, loot, ebay etc for a 2nd hand steed.

tul214

posted on 19/1/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
NTDWM

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

big_l

posted on 20/1/12 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
i have a real smart claud butler mountain bike disc brakes front suspention i paid £500 12 months ago ill sell for £170

a very smart bike indeed its only ever moved 30 miles max very light !!!! check your inbox i have u2ud phone number

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hiya Owelly,

I asked a similar question recently...

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=163944

kipper

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
mountain bke

Hi owely.
I have a bike here you can have for £45.It's not a tour de france contender but I think it will fit your disciption.
It has suspension front and back and everything works.
Ring me if any good.(i will u2u my phone No)
Regards Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

owelly

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies and u2u's. Texts and return u2u's sent!

loggyboy

posted on 20/1/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I paid £70 for my bike from halfords about 5 years ago - its a shockwave! obviously a cheap own brand from halfords, but to give it credit its still going strong. It stood for abotu 3 years with no use, but I dug it out back in october and have been using it pretty much everyday since then and seems like it will be carrying on fine. So you dont always have to spend lots.
ChrisW

posted on 21/1/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I got my last two bikes from the local Police auction. I think the first one was a cheapo full suspension thing and was about £15. It was fun for a bit, but the suspension got annoying as it seemed 50% of the pedal work went into making it bounce up and down, so I went back and got myself a Saracen aluminium-framed one with a ripped seat and a missing front brake for £10, then bought the replacement bits on eBay for a few quid.

Moral of the story? Find your local police auction!

Chris

My gaff my rules

kipper

posted on 23/1/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
bike

You have u2u.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.