Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 gallon fuel tank (cheap/IVA loaner)
speedview

posted on 23/1/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
2 gallon fuel tank (cheap/IVA loaner)

Hello!

I'm after a 2 gallon fuel tank for IVA purposes (need to keep the fuel load down to meet axle weight limits). Needs to be metal, doesn't need to be pretty. Anybody got anything that meets the bill kicking about?

Cheers,

--
Marko
marko@cosic.org.uk

PSpirine

posted on 23/1/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Got a 1 gal (around 5 litres) that I use for veg oil twin tanking. Any use?
Grimsdale

posted on 23/1/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Please correct me if i am mistaken, but surely you supply the axle weights to the IVA tester? why would you cause yourself this problem? Why not just tell them a larger figure?
speedview

posted on 23/1/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Grimsdale,

You do quote them, but you're not allowed to exceed the manufacturer of that axle's rating. Fine plating a kit at 500 kg if the 'axle' could carry 800 kg in the donor, but not the other way around. Its intended to get rid of all the shoddy stretch limos that you see kicking about, but I've got caught by it doing a 4 door convertible:

http://www.speedview.co/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/xj8/img_5867.jpg

http://www.speedview.co/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/xj8/img_4345.jpg

Pav - might be pushing my luck at a gallon, as it does need to run for ~30 minutes at the IVA test and its a big car with a 4.0 V8...

Cheers,

--
M

Grimsdale

posted on 23/1/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
ahhhh, now i see, thanks for filling me in.
Impressive project by the way - well off the beaten track!

MikeR

posted on 23/1/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Why not get a 10l metal fuel 'jerry' can?
speedview

posted on 24/1/12 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Err, why didn't I think of that!

Off to find a 10l paddy can in the morning!

Grimsdale - cheers!

blakep82

posted on 24/1/12 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
a jerry can wouldn't pass IVA as a fuel tank... at least not without some modding, which you're clearly capable of
filler neck, fuel and return hoses, breather etc but could be done yeah

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 24/1/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
As above a tank with a handle on will not pass IVA. You could plumb it in and cover it over so they don't see it though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

speedview

posted on 24/1/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking one of these:

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/motoring-workshop-tools/emergency-breakdown-solutions/petrol_cans/Rhino-10-Litre-Paddycan-Red-11377814?ecamp=cse_go&t mcampid=4&tmad=c&CAWELAID=809736647

Flapwheel off the handle (or add to it and turn it into a fuel pump mount); two long tabs added to the base for half a dozen M6 bolts to the floor; filler neck where the screw cap used to be, supply/return on one side and breather at the top.

MikeR

posted on 25/1/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Why does it need a filler neck? its got a fuel cap so just use that (but make sure its teatherd as thats an IVA requirement).

something to hold it down, and if you get the aircraft fuel tank push in fittings you only need to drill holes (although they're not that cheap).

swanny

posted on 25/1/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
likey that project

speedview

posted on 26/1/12 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Swanny :-)

Ok, if anybody needs one in future:

10 litre metal Paddycan (B&Q/Halfords type)

V-reg Ford Fiesta tank/pump/fittings. Cut the pump ring and rollover valve out, replace the 'handle' area of the Paddycan with these and weld away. Keep the right angle plastic fittings and carefully cut the hard plastic hose off.

51 plate Fiat Punto filler neck. Its all plastic/bend hose, and it has concentric filler/breather steup, so there's a 30 mm hose for fuel inside a 45 mm hose that does all the breathing, meaning only one 'neck' to weld to the tank. Also its all super bendy, and fitted inside the same hole as the XJ8 filler neck so from outside looks completely OEM.

Rolled a strip cut from the Fiesta tank into a 45mm OD pipe by wrapping it around the body of an old shock, worked well!
Tank is mounted using ~30x12x1.5 mm C-channel cut from an old set of shelves welded up into a frame, using 6* M6 rivnuts to the chassis rail/boot floor. Going nowhere, and well earthed.

P-plate Nissan Primera for fuel hose and clamps. It has lots of 8mm injection hose and 8 stainless fuel hose screw clamps under the bonnet and easy to get to.

52 plate Ford Focus for the right-angle plastic fittings to connect to the OE Jaguar metal fuel lines. Again carefully cut the hard plastic pipe off.

Cut the Nissan hose into four 4" lengths. Pipe in 8 mm water pipe with an olive soldered onto each end as a hose barb. Use the 4" hose lengths and the 8 jubilees to connect the plastic fittings to your copper pipe. Inch long pieces of fuel hose with a slit down them, 1/2" nylon P-clips, and M5 rivnuts hold the copper pipe in place every 150 mm or so.

Rollover valve connects to the OE Jaguar breather valve/charcol canister pipework with a piece of 3/8" (Jaguar are gits!) steel pipe soldered to a run of 10 mm copper pipe/hose.

You can make a convincing hard pipe to match the quick-release fittings by drilling a washer out, tacking and tacking it to the hard pipe with two small welds. Just watch the orientation, so that the retaining clip of the quick-release clears them. (it'll be obvious with the bits in your hand) Doesn't need to seal, as that's done with an O-ring.

Best bit? The Fiesta tank is the same depth as the Paddycan, and has an inbuilt level gauge, which matches the Jaguar sender (near enough), so the dash fuel gauge still works! Wonder if the needle will make a whoosing sound as it drops? Bets on whether the 'brain' will throw a fault code (if programmed properly, it should sense that level sender is reading very different to nominal amount of fuel injected, suggesting mahoosive leakage or other fuel system problems)

Photos tomorrow once the paint is dry.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.