Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Clutch in MK Indy R with an R1 Engine
Rob WM

posted on 23/1/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
New Clutch in MK Indy R with an R1 Engine

Afternoon all.

I have attempted several searches but not found what I am looking for, if anyone knows of a thread can you let me have the link.

If not I think I need to fit a new clutch in my MK. At present it has the factory standard clutch (Yamaha YZF R1 2006) do I simply replace this or should I upgrade? What would you suggest I upgrade too?

Is it easy to change a clutch? Will I have to remove the engine?

I think I need a new clutch because when slecting first the car makes a loud bang. When I take off there is sometimes a judder, do you think this is the clutch (Have checked the prop and diff etc and there is no play in them). There is no clutch slip when accelerating etc.

I built the car but left the engine alone as I had done nothing more than a brake pad change before I built the car, so if I am honest I am a little nervous of attempting such a task, any hints or tips would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Rob

twybrow

posted on 23/1/12 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
The bang could be normal for a sequential box - they ar enever as quiet or refined as a regular H-box. If you are not getting cluctch slip, I see no reason to suggest you need a new clutch. Most epopel start by beefing up the clutch springs, which takes about 15 minutes total to do (you dont even need to drain the oil on most bike engines).

I would think more likely is the need for you to adjust your clutch cable, to make sure it is engaging and disengnaging cleanly.

If it does all need replacing, I would be very surprised if you needed to remove the engine. Assuming you have the clearance to work, you should be able to get to the cluch cover without removing anything else from the car/engine. A clutch on a bike is 100 times simpler than on a car!

wylliezx9r

posted on 23/1/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
All sounds normal to me, I fitted up rated springs on my car and could hardly feel any difference. The clunk is made louder and more forceful on a car install due to the propshaft nothing to worry about IMO.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

ashg

posted on 23/1/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
most of the bike engined cars i have been out in have made a clunk when pulling away, i would say its normal. i believe a trt prop can reduce the noise if you are that bothered by it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Rob WM

posted on 24/1/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks fellas your comments all make sense. I guess the fact that the engine is bolted directly to the chassis without any bushes etc will only magnify the clunking noise.

I did wonder about uprated springs but Malcolm at Yorkshire Engines told me not to bother as the clutch shouldn't slip and the springs are designed with the engine torque etc in mind so that the clutch will slip rather than damage the engine.

I will leave it for now and see if it gets any worse.

Thanks again

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.