Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what ignition for zetec on bike carbs
steveyb

posted on 25/1/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
what ignition for zetec on bike carbs

hi, i have a 2.0 blacktop zetec engine from a mondeo, i got a set of 38mm yamaha fzr1000 carbs for it.
i need to make the manifold to fit these now, but that shouldn’t be a problem.
Is there a set length that is advisable for the tubing of the manifold or the distance from the head ports to the carb ports? I was thinking of cutting them roughly 60mm long.
the bit i am not sure about is the ignition, I have had a bit of a search on here on what other people have done, some good info!!

i also have a 4age toyota 1600 engine i would like to fit bike carbs to sometime but i will get the zetec engine done first.

i know that i need the EDIS module, and I have the coilpack and leads on the engine, the crank sensor and all is on it as standard. Will I need a throttle position sensor? i will check the carbs this evening to see if there is one there, if not can I use the one of the zetec throttle body if I make a bracket to link it to the carbs?
so from what I have read I will need some sort of ignition tuning system, the likes of mega squirt/ megajolt, what do most people use and what type of one would be a good reliable one that doesn’t need played about with every time you start it? What is it they actually do? Is it controlling the spark when the rev and engine load change?
I seen this link on here so I’m gonna read over it this evening to understand all a bit more.http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide

So basically what is asking is how do I control ignition on a engine when using bike carbs, I know some of it its just getting my head around it and understanding it.
So thanks in advance for any help

I want to get it running and understand how it all works and then move onto throttle bodies and stand alone ecu’s in the future on my 2.0 duratec

[Edited on 25/1/12 by steveyb]

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 25/1/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
At it's simplest, you use the EDIS unit to fire the coilpack using a 36-1 trigger wheel and VR sensor to locate TDC.

You then use a Throttle Position Sensor or MAP sensor to deliver engine load information to the megajolt.

The megajolt then adjusts the firing time of the EDIS unit via the PIP/SAW loop.

The megajolt is loaded with a 10x10 matrix of engine speed against engine load to produce a given amount of advance and away you go!

HTH

Edited to correct numpty 31 tooth error...

[Edited on 25/1/12 by Xtreme Kermit]

Slater

posted on 25/1/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I put a megajolt onto my Zetec / ZZR Carbs (with TPS). Used an EDIS from a fiesta and zetec coil pack + CPS on the back of the zetec flywheel.

I got the built megajolt unit for about 90 pounds about 4 years ago.

It came with good instructions and was quite easy to install and get it working OK, even for a novice like me, relaible too.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

lewis

posted on 25/1/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Trigger wheels will sell you a zetec ecu & all the bits you need In one pack,just finished wiring mine up and first start yesterday all quite straight forward.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

RichardK

posted on 25/1/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mega jolt for me as well,it's also the v3 which old but has been very reliable do far,once you get your head around how it works it's pretty straight forward to implement and loads of us have done it so can help as well as Brent on the autosportlab site.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locost@mintynet.com

posted on 25/1/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Megajolt V3 TPS ECU going spare that I took off my Zetec, it has the 14 pin loom connector. You will how ever have to make your own loom, which is not difficult.

On top of that you will require an EDIS, Crank position sensor and Coil pack, Id also get all the wiring plugs at the same time.

The only wires I had connected to the Megajolt loom was Switched Live, Gnd and Rev counter (I think that was pin 11 from the EDIS)

PM me if you are interested.

Ian

steveyb

posted on 25/1/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
I put a megajolt onto my Zetec / ZZR Carbs (with TPS). Used an EDIS from a fiesta and zetec coil pack + CPS on the back of the zetec flywheel.

I got the built megajolt unit for about 90 pounds about 4 years ago.

It came with good instructions and was quite easy to install and get it working OK, even for a novice like me, relaible too.

Thanks that's the info I'm after, so I can use the standard CPS of the Zetec engine without having to get a 36 tooth trigger wheel an sensor.

steveyb

posted on 25/1/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
At it's simplest, you use the EDIS unit to fire the coilpack using a 31-1 trigger wheel and VR sensor to locate TDC.

You then use a Throttle Position Sensor or MAP sensor to deliver engine load information to the megajolt.

The megajolt then adjusts the firing time of the EDIS unit via the PIP/SAW loop.

The megajolt is loaded with a 10x10 matrix of engine speed against engine load to produce a given amount of advance and away you go!

HTH

What is the 31 tooth wheel? I thought they were 36 toothed wheels? Is this needed with a vr sensor or will the flywheel and cps on the Zetec do for this?
For the likes of the 4age Toyota engine If I wanted to run a coil pack set up wouldnt I need the trigger wheel?

Slater

posted on 25/1/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, just use the VR sensor that points at the back of the flywheel. Make sure the cable is sheilded and you get the two wire the right way round. My instructions explained all this. I can e-mail them if you U2U your address.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 25/1/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steveyb
quote:
At it's simplest, you use the EDIS unit to fire the coilpack using a 31-1 trigger wheel and VR sensor to locate TDC.

HTH

What is the 31 tooth wheel? I thought they were 36 toothed wheels? Is this needed with a vr sensor or will the flywheel and cps on the Zetec do for this?
For the likes of the 4age Toyota engine If I wanted to run a coil pack set up wouldnt I need the trigger wheel?

And yes you are quite right, 36 tooth not 31. You get the prize for spotting my deliberate mistake

steveyb

posted on 25/1/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steveyb
quote:

HTH

And yes you are quite right, 36 tooth not 31. You get the prize for spotting my deliberate mistake

Ahhh so that was there to make sure I was paying attention in class lol.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.