Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Laptop - Under £400 Which One ?
perksy

posted on 25/1/12 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
New Laptop - Under £400 Which One ?

Looking for a new laptop

Mainly for the internet but also to play basic games and do basic office tasks (need at least a 15" screen)

Budget is up to £400 maybe abit over

Does anybody have any recommendations ? or seen any good deals ?

I've heard good things about Toshiba ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Perksy

nick205

posted on 25/1/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be interested in this too - we're after one around the same budget for general family use.

austin man

posted on 25/1/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
are you also looking for a contract phone now or in the near future if so consider the carphone warehouse deals with free laptop. I am using one at the minute a 15" Dell Inspiron it was a £30 a month contract

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jollygreengiant

posted on 25/1/12 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
asda - dell inspiron for £279 at the mo.

linky

Just a thought.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

NigeEss

posted on 26/1/12 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
I recently bought a Fujitsu Lifebook from eBuyer, 750gb HDD, 8gb RAM, 15" screen Core i3.
£399 with a bag, does all I want from a lapdog.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

bj928

posted on 26/1/12 at 02:58 AM Reply With Quote
has to be an Asus, good brand wiithout the premium of brand name, i'm building a new pc soon, and as much as pos, all parts will be asus,

buy from america if you get the chance of a friend traveling to/from, 400 here you'll get next years spec over there for same money

russbost

posted on 26/1/12 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Acer, but whatever make you buy there are usually good deals at ebuyer.com & laptopsdirect.co.uk

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dhutch

posted on 26/1/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
The main thing with laptops, if you transporting them about, is a good case/chassis design which you tend to get more from the traditional makers than the newer electronics/motherboard makers who have go into laptops later. That said, if its going to sit out on a table all day and never move, the latter tend to pack more spec in per buck becuase they havent put much into the laptop design itself.

In the last year or two my brother, sister, and parents have all bought a Dell
- Sisters is the oldest an a 17" Dell 'Studio' the other two are the 15R Insperons afaik.

I have an only ThinkPad T30 i got off her for £50 as i mainly use my desktop.

Daniel

stevebubs

posted on 26/1/12 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
i3 Inspiron 15R with cashback via Quidco should fit the bill

That's what I chose for my daughter given a similar budget...

greenwood03

posted on 26/1/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
was in a similar position as needed one for a Xmas pressie so spent a bit of time working out the biggest bang for my bucks.

i used a site called something like hotdealsuk - a forum/members driven site that lists all manner of deals ( not solely computing)....by chance i saw a little known deal ( so little known that the staff werent aware )....for a lappie from sainsburys.
spec was good i5, 15 inch is what we needed and it was less than 300.
so that site might be worth a look.

also could look at the Dell Refurbished Outlet, things there a fair bit cheaper than o the main site, that was my plan til i found teh other deal.

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

splitrivet

posted on 26/1/12 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
This place has refurbed and new at much cheapness http://tier1online.com
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Jasper

posted on 26/1/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Dell all the way, great value and good service

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Peteff

posted on 26/1/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
I recently bought a Fujitsu Lifebook from eBuyer, 750gb HDD, 8gb RAM, 15" screen Core i3.

I've fallen out with ebuyer. I bought a dvd/divx player 10 months ago and it packed up. I asked for a replacement but their policy is over 6 months old you get refunded part of the original cost which they decide the value. I complained but it made no difference, read their terms and conditions very closely and don't send them anything back or it's the last you will see of it as I asked for my player back to pursue it with the manufacturer but they had already disposed of it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

perksy

posted on 26/1/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help lads

I'll check some of the links out

stevebubs

posted on 26/1/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
DEll Linky
iank

posted on 26/1/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss

I've fallen out with ebuyer. I bought a dvd/divx player 10 months ago and it packed up. I asked for a replacement but their policy is over 6 months old you get refunded part of the original cost which they decide the value. I complained but it made no difference, read their terms and conditions very closely and don't send them anything back or it's the last you will see of it as I asked for my player back to pursue it with the manufacturer but they had already disposed of it.

Set trading standards on them, completely against the sales of goods act.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.