Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bin the blackberry and try Android?
MK9R

posted on 27/1/12 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
bin the blackberry and try Android?

Had blackberry for years, currently have a 9800 torch but after 18months and 3 of them I'm starting to get frustrated the RIM expirience. Lack of fun apps, terrible touch screens, clunky OS (os 6) and realiability issues. I must have a proper keyboard, I can't stand touch screen for typing (tried iphones etc), don't want an apple product (and they don't do keypads), and would like to try android, so at the moment leaning towards a sony. Xperia pro mk16 (not the mini) or amybe htc deesire Z.

Anyone made the swap from bb and happy? Or done it and regretted it? Has anyon got one of the above phones or hasve another suggestion?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 27/1/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Blackberry with work for years. I now have an HTC Desire and it's so much better! Touch screen took some getting used to but that was the only hurdle!

And the HTC has been abused but (touching wood) never let me down!

Regards

Wyn

britishtrident

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Having changed from a QWERTY phone to a Android (Orange San Francisco) I found a touch screen is OK for txt and email after installing the Swype app.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

llionellis

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I habe a tiutch screem asd find ig ok
ashg

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
went from a 9800 to a htc desire. have never looked back. want keen on the touch screen keyboard at first but i now love it as the keys are bigger than the bb

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

McLannahan

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by llionellis

Touché

speedstar

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'll have a HTC sensation for sale next week if you're interested? Need to swap to a blackberry for work so its surplus to requirement
MK9R

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedstar
I'll have a HTC sensation for sale next week if you're interested? Need to swap to a blackberry for work so its surplus to requirement

How much?

Thanks for all your replies. Still can't get rid of the feeling I need a physical keyboard though....

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Thanks for all your replies. Still can't get rid of the feeling I need a physical keyboard though....

Depends how much typing you do, thinkg moving to a htc (used legend) I have taken to calling people more, but was already making the transition that way anyway. Larger screen makes a lot of sense for everything else, using it as a satnav, surfing the net, booking train tickets, etc.

Daniel

stevebubs

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

How much?

I have both in my pocket - a BB Bold 9780 (work) and a Galaxy S2 (home)

If you're not using the Swype Keyboard, typing on a touchscreen can be a painful experience. Swype takes a little getting used to, but is fantastic and you will soon find that you can type as quickly using it as using the keyboard (imagine that instead of typing on your computer keyboard, you just dragged your index finger from one key to the next and lifted off at the end of the work - it's that easy).

Played with the Touchscreen BB and they're, frankly, rubbish. Wouldn't go near them.

Until I got the S2, I found Android battery life poor; and if the batteries weren't rubbish the processor was too slow to be effective. The S2 will easily see me through the day and if I could get work email on the S2 I would be tempted. However the Bold battery lasts 2-3 days which is far more than most and probably the reason why I won't explore moving away from it in the near future...

[Edited on 27/1/12 by stevebubs]

Humbug

posted on 27/1/12 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Having changed from a QWERTY phone to a Android (Orange San Francisco) I found a touch screen is OK for txt and email after installing the Swype app.

ditto - I had an old fashioned Nokia and was a bit wary about switching to touch screen for typing. I looked at the HTC Desire Z which has a "real" keyboard you slide out from underneath but in practice it is much bigger and heavier than what I ended up with: an HTC Wildfire S. I did find the touch screen keypad a bit fiddly with my fat fingertips, even in landscape mode , but I love Swype, which is a lot faster and more accurate.

scudderfish

posted on 27/1/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I came from a Nokia N900 and thought I'd have to get a Desire Z for the keyboard. However I was swayed by the smaller size and better performance of the Desire S and I now don't miss the physical keyboard.
speedstar

posted on 27/1/12 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

How much?

Am after £250 and for that I'd include everything that came in the box, plus a car holder (had to buy a specific 1) and a leather sleeve... And postage (i'm nice like that :p)

The Venom Project

posted on 27/1/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Blackberry have good battery, much better than other smart phones, I have a desire and the battery is horse shit. However the phone is much more useful than Blackberry.

It would be worth waiting till the Motorola Razr Droid Maxx hits the UK, might be closer to Christmas, but the battery is twice the capacity of all the new phones now including all the Android, Windows, Blackberry and Apple.

A nice bit of kit, on Android

Well worth the wait.

It will be the only phone I get when my contract is up in May

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

andrew.carwithen

posted on 27/1/12 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I've recently bought a second-hand Samsung galaxy S i9000 (now superceded by the galaxy S2) and I think its excellent.
I'm a techno dynosaur but find using the touchscreen no problem at all (probably due to it having a large 4" AMOLED screen which is superb)

[Edited on 27/1/12 by andrew.carwithen]

MK9R

posted on 27/1/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting I'm not gettin any replies saying to stick withh BB!! And this the same day that a survey showed 75% of BB users questioned want to drop them in favour of other brands!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

britishtrident

posted on 27/1/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Interesting I'm not gettin any replies saying to stick withh BB!! And this the same day that a survey showed 75% of BB users questioned want to drop them in favour of other brands!

Blackberry are getting left behind in an operating system war which I fear MS will win, Android is currently the mass market front runner but will be undermined by shear corporate power of MS , while Apple will of course be the king of fashion niche market .

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 27/1/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
ISTR Some android phones can use a bluetooth or USB plug in mini keyboard.

[/I]

HowardB

posted on 27/1/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Austen,

I have a Nokia E7, it has a brilliant keyboard, but since they have joined forces with the darkside all new Nokia phones are likely to be Windoze.

I like the look of the Sony, and the good thing about a fold out keypad is that it leaves all the screen clear to see what you want,....

Not seen the Xperia in the shops, but would try before buy in case the slide mechanism doesn't meet your expectations, or the keys are too small.

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

gazza285

posted on 27/1/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by llionellis

Well done that man, have a

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

twybrow

posted on 27/1/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Nokia E6, which is Nokia's version of a Blackberry. It has a fully keyboasrd, and a touchscreen so the best (or worst) of both worlds. I am very pleased with it!
Simon

posted on 27/1/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Venom Project
.... I have a desire and the battery is horse shit. However the phone is much more useful than Blackberry.

I got one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Tech-Capacity-Replacement-3500mAh-Battery/dp/B004T2S1FG

3500mah to replace the standard 1600. Not bad for 14 quid ish iirc

ATB

Simon

The Venom Project

posted on 27/1/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an aftermarket battery claiming it was 3300mh but it was worse than the original, for me the Razr Maxx will be a breath of fresh air.

I like everything else about my phone. I have had 4 iphone's, they are simply a fashion phone, no better than any Android smart Phone, and in many ways much worse.

I love Apple products, but find a lot of stuff is way way over priced for the technology included.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

plentywahalla

posted on 27/1/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Forgive my ignorance on this new generation of smartphones, but I need some advice.

I am on my 5th Blackberry. I am frustrated by their poor reliability (nearly all have been replaced under warranty) and the lack of decent web browsing (I got an iPad instead).

But for work, I am addicted to the 'live' email feature, its about the only thing that Balckberry do well. Is there another smartphone that does the same? If there is then I will be another to say "switch"

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

UncleFista

posted on 27/1/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
Forgive my ignorance on this new generation of smartphones, but I need some advice.

I am on my 5th Blackberry. I am frustrated by their poor reliability (nearly all have been replaced under warranty) and the lack of decent web browsing (I got an iPad instead).

But for work, I am addicted to the 'live' email feature, its about the only thing that Balckberry do well. Is there another smartphone that does the same? If there is then I will be another to say "switch"

Do you mean Blackberry messenger or "push" email (instant) ?
If you mean instant email, gmail does this on android devices.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.