Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT CHANGES
snowy2

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
MOT CHANGES

i don't know if any of you out there are aware but from 1/1/2012 there were some changes to the mot regs some will impact on a good few of us.....
vehicle wiring must be in good condition and properly secured. loose dangling wires now fail.
battery condition and security is now checked.
spare wheel brackets are now part of the test, if the tester deems the bracket is not up to the job its a fail. spare wheel tyre condition is NOT PART OF MOT but if the spare is not fitted securely i.e. not by temp means like rope then it is a fail.
tow bar electrics must now fully work.
headlight washers and self leveling systems where fitted must work...if you have HID lights these items MUST BE fitted and in working order.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

loggyboy

posted on 27/1/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Theres lots more than that too:

SRS lights, minor splits in gaiters that could allow dust/dirt through.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html
Been discussed quite a few times over past few months.

[Edited on 27/1/12 by loggyboy]

A1

posted on 27/1/12 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
the cat things the most worrying... a few other seemingly pointless things that are maybe a little nit picking, but suppose that serves us right for sticking around the eu.
locoboy

posted on 27/1/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Seats moving fore and aft.........., thats most of the 7esque cars failed then...

ATB
Locoboy

loggyboy

posted on 27/1/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
Seats moving fore and aft.........., thats most of the 7esque cars failed then...

Again disscused already, the rules allow for 'orginal designs to be acceptable.' Ie if they never moved in the first place then its not a problem.

russbost

posted on 27/1/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
TBH most of it is fairly insignificant - it's stuff which shoukld be sorted anyway.

I'd missed "tow bar electrics must now fully work."!!

So how are they going to check that then? Is there going to be some sort of plug in test module?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/1/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Are these 'HID' things (sorry, I'm economically unviable hence the MK1 Mundaneo), the headlights on the more modern euroboxes (and huge 4WD) that blind the hell out of you (me)?

I guess the levelling is part of them? If that is the reason that they always seem to be pointing where it hurts, then a regulation to ensure the systems work can only be good.

As for the tow bar electrics, once again, coming up behind a driver with no lights on his caravan (and lets not get political about insane closing speeds) - particularly when riding the bike, is no fun. It's a shame that the mobile yakking majority need legislating to safe the lives of others..

No need to check the tow bar electrics on the '7' though, nor washers/wipers..... shame emissions is such a POS...

ashg

posted on 27/1/12 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
it all looks like perfectly reasonable stuff to me. the only interesting one is the seat runner position check as some people don't have their seats on runners. at the end of the day if your car had a cat at iva why shouldn't it have one at mot? I know this will rub a few up the wrong way but in essence anyone that has gone through iva with a cat then removed it is just flouting the rules.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

jacko

posted on 27/1/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
It makes me feel like my vectra isn't mine any more like spare wheel fixing [ so what if it bangs about in the wheel well
The rule is OK if the wheel is on the back of a car like a 7
I'm just having one of those moments
DAM MOT's

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mazie

posted on 27/1/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the cat rule doesn't apply anyway seeing as its not fitted as standard to a fury due to the nature of being a kit car, what is classed as standard on a kit car!
JoelP

posted on 27/1/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
bollox. I put a new battery on the jeep last year, after much faffing about i just picked one that 'nearly' fitted. After 5 attempts, id given up on a perfect match. Anyway, it doesnt bolt down...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

martin1973

posted on 27/1/12 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
as i understand it only the 13 pin euro towing socket will be tested
not the old style 7 pin.

martin

snowy2

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
if your car had to have a cat fitted for the IVA it will be recorded on the MOT database so it will need to be there for its MOT.

aerodynamix

posted on 27/1/12 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mot Regs

There are many new additions to the test , HID headlamps - if the car has self levelling suspension or headlamp wash wipe fitted it must work , if the car didn't , i.e. sports car or you have retro fitted HID lights you do not need headlamp washers and self levelling suspension , wording is due to be revised by VOSA- that's what I was told by VOSA Compliance Manager the other day.
If you have a seat that has adjusters and they do not lock or do not adjust or are insecure it will fail , if you have no adjuster/rail fitted it cannot be tested so it will not fail .
Towbar wiring is only to be checked on the new 13 pin plug .
Yes if you're a boy racer and you have wires hanging from everywhere subs / amps / extra wiring it may fail , I had a car before xmas and wiring was rubbing on alternator belt and shorting - not able to fail how wrong was that .
Most changes are a question of common sense , if your brake warning light is on it's quite probable that there is a fault - get it fixed !
Some aren't so well thought out though , as noted above it's the joys of being part of Europe ..... 2yr MOT next ?....

snowy2

posted on 28/1/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
It is a C+U requirement for headlight washers and self levelling headlights if HID bulbs are fitted....there was a commonly held belief that it would be checked as part of the MOT, However looking at the Manual this morning it words it as "May have them fitted" implying they are not required. this is likely to be changed very quickly as it seems to be an error (talking to a VOSA guy)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.