Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ignition light on
KitCatE1

posted on 28/1/12 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ignition light on

Hi guys, my tiger has been sat in the garage for a few weeks, it wouldn't turn over yesterday to a point that the battery was on its arse and flooded, any way I changed the spark plugs today and jump started it, joy it started left it running for half hour runs fine but the ignition light is on, turned it off fired right back up, battery was new last year alternator is new cars only done 900 miles since 2008 Could the battery be goosed? Cheers
Ben_Copeland

posted on 28/1/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Multimeter will tell you for definate.

Could be a bad corroded earth....

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 28/1/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would suspect a quacked regulator or diodes in the alternator however.

First thing to do is check all the connections to battery and alternator are tight and also check the earths.

You should also charge the battery with a battery charger for at least 12 hours (16 to 24 is better) then let the battery rest off charge for a few hours. Then check the voltage across the battery (should be 12.5 v in UK winter temperatures 12.8 v in summer weather) then check voltage when starting the engine when turning the engine over the voltage across the battery should always be over 9v. If battery is in good condition and fully charged I would expect 10v from a small car battery 11v from a larger tintop battery. Below 9v ie falls quickly to 6v although may rise after a few seconds to 8v indicates a dead cell in ther battery.

If passes the above then check the charging voltage by measuring voltage across the battery with engine running at a fast idle. Voltage should be 13.4v to 14.9v with engine running at over 1500 rpm. Then check battery voltage at 2,500 rpm with head lights on again it should be 13.4 to 14.9 volts. Then switch the headlights off with engine still at 2,500 rpm at no point must the voltage jump above 15v .

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

dray13dad

posted on 28/1/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
give the alternator a bit of a tap,if no good give it a bigger tap (best done running) thats the car not you
KitCatE1

posted on 29/1/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys no it was me I must of disturbed the connections to the alternatior when i was doing the last plug that will teach me to leave the wires dangling lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.