Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Guns and shooters!
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 29/1/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Guns and shooters!

I have recently recieved my firearms certificate and off i went to purchase my first gun last week. A Ruger 10/22.

Went up to the local target club to zero the sights. After about an hour and approx 60 rounds I was putting 1 inch bench rest groups out to 25 yards. still a lot of work to improve that.

I also have on my cert a .17 HMR, underlever .38, black powder .45 revolver. so feel some purchases coming in the next few months.

Anyone else out there do a bit of shooting? Anyone got a spare Ruger 10/22 barrel floating about?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MakeEverything

posted on 29/1/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I have recently recieved my firearms certificate and off i went to purchase my first gun last week. A Ruger 10/22.

Went up to the local target club to zero the sights. After about an hour and approx 60 rounds I was putting 1 inch bench rest groups out to 25 yards. still a lot of work to improve that.

I also have on my cert a .17 HMR, underlever .38, black powder .45 revolver. so feel some purchases coming in the next few months.

Anyone else out there do a bit of shooting? Anyone got a spare Ruger 10/22 barrel floating about?

Used to do loads. About 3000 rounds a week, and that is without the midweek MOD range shoots and competitions every few months.

Had a replica AK47 in .22, .357 Magnum winchester underlever, .308 No.4 Lee Enfield (Conversion), 12g Baikal side-by-side and a Remington 870 with section 1 magazine extension and adjustable poly choke.

Oh the single days!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mookaloid

posted on 29/1/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
like this? You tube linky

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

T66

posted on 29/1/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have a reasonable amount of experience with pointy things-

However Liam, Some people dont "get" firearms, but their use is a very disciplined sport, brought up on watching ridiculous movie shooting where they mistakenly think its easy. Its far easier to miss.

Find the best shot in the club, and see if they will spend some time with you.

1) Concentrate totally on the foresight/rearsight picture. The target should be slightly out of focus, its all about the sight picture.

2) Stance - Single handed I guess for what you are doing, this is about what your comfy doing, ie facing or body turned away from the target. Dont move your feet/body/grip between shots.

3) Grip - Hold the barrel weak hand in an overhand grip, and with the shooting hand slide it up the grip till it seats against the curve at the top. Do this everytime

4) Breathing - With the pistol pointing at the floor, settle your breathing, and with a light exhale raise the weapon to the target.
With practice you know your trigger and start applying pressure before the weapon reaches the target. As the weapon settles onto the target
pressure must be increased. If you think "pull" you will snatch the shot and miss. If you anticipate the bang, this will also give you problems.

5) Key to good shooting, is read the theory till you understand it, then dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Concentrating on using the same
technique/stance everytime.

Cornishman

posted on 29/1/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I go shooting 4 times a year.

Every Sat in February I am out in the woods Pidgeon shooting.

It goes something like this..............

The first Sat I miss everything and get cold.

The Second Sat I get a couple of lucky ones and miss everything else and get cold.

The Third Sat I get nothing and get cold.

The Fourth Sat I see nothing and get cold.

I find it helps to shoot at a few fir cones every half hour or so to keep your hands warm on the barrels.

I love it and will continue to go every year.

Steve

Canada EH!

posted on 29/1/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
To keep from flinching squeeze the trigger slowly at first so the gun goes off as a suprise
T66

posted on 29/1/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
To keep from flinching squeeze the trigger slowly at first so the gun goes off as a suprise

Thats it ! - The trigger pull must be a constant application of pressure, resulting in the weapon firing. A sub conscious act, achieved by a technique

This is why you need to practice a lot of dry firing. Because you cannot anticipate a bang, as its empty (hopefully), and nor can you snatch it after its banged (still empty).

MakeEverything

posted on 29/1/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
...achieved by a technique...

...called the Marksmanship Principles. You should be able to find these on the net, but they cover stance / position, sight picture, breathing, and other contributing factors to the technique. Basically, you should practice these until it becomes second nature / cognitive when you pick up a firearm.

The same goes with safety rules which by the way, not everyone respects. Ive seen a more mature fellow of a club demonstrating rifle drills at Bisley, half way down a live range. Fortunately, the RO had the sense to stop shooting until he had finished (or was that pause in disbelief?). Just keep your wits about you and dont be afraid to stop someone else if they are doing something wrong.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

dave r

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cornishman
I go shooting 4 times a year.

Every Sat in February I am out in the woods Pidgeon shooting.

It goes something like this..............

The first Sat I miss everything and get cold.

The Second Sat I get a couple of lucky ones and miss everything else and get cold.

The Third Sat I get nothing and get cold.

The Fourth Sat I see nothing and get cold.

I find it helps to shoot at a few fir cones every half hour or so to keep your hands warm on the barrels.

I love it and will continue to go every year.

Steve

that sounds everso much like me................

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Agriv8

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I was invited to a charity clay pigeon shoot after not picking up a 12 bore for over 12 years.

Was about to throw the towel in after the second stand as I was mising everything by a foot and a half.

started to get my eyes back in by the third stand and finished top of the group after getting 8 out 10 on the last stand taking the lead by 1 clay

Looking to get my 12 bore licence back

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

omega 24 v6

posted on 30/1/12 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I did quite a bit of shotgun work clays and rough in my younger days. Had a Berreta and an old spanish gun ( sarasqueeta IIRC).
One thing though. You list a .45 revolver??????? I thought all handguns were banned in the UK???

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

NigeEss

posted on 30/1/12 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6

One thing though. You list a .45 revolver??????? I thought all handguns were banned in the UK???

I thought that applied to private ownership, shooting clubs were allowed to have them.

I await the knowledged ones with the correct answer.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

MakeEverything

posted on 30/1/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6

I thought that applied to private ownership, shooting clubs were allowed to have them.

I await the knowledged ones with the correct answer.

Not quite. As an FAC holder, you need to be a member of a club. Revolvers are still permitted as long as they exceed a certain length and are single shot (unless .22). The length is about 2' I think so on,y joker style long barrelled revolvers or short ones with a long spur on the grip are permitted.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Ivan

posted on 30/1/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Got my first rifle when I was 5, hunted until my late teens, was a drill and weapons instructor in the infantry and fired my last of who knows how many rounds when on border duty in my mid twenties. Not fired a round since then so no banging for 37 years (ooer)

Wouldn't mind getting back into it some time.

Oh - despite all the above I am most probably the world's worst shot at still targets but pretty good at moving ones where my shake doesn't matter.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/1/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Muzzle loading Black Powder pistols are exempt from the handgun ban. So essentially all you old cowboy hand guns are allowed.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

T66

posted on 30/1/12 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Muzzle loading Black Powder pistols are exempt from the handgun ban. So essentially all you old cowboy hand guns are allowed.

Quite a few of the blokes I used to shoot with, moved across to black powder when the fullbore ban came in to place.

Is the largest pistol you can own now .32 or .22 ?

MakeEverything

posted on 30/1/12 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:

Quite a few of the blokes I used to shoot with, moved across to black powder when the fullbore ban came in to place.

Is the largest pistol you can own now .32 or .22 ?

No, there's no limit on calibre, so long as the range is licensed for its muzzle velocity by the home office.

I've shot a 45-70 pistol and rifle, and plenty do 38, 357 and 45 calibre pistols.

Black powder pistols are legal, but you'll need a separate black powder license.

[Edited on 30-1-12 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

tony-devon

posted on 30/1/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I do loads, currently sat at work, in an armoury

mainly Gallery rifle shooting, but also getting into the CSR military style shooting

shooting a 4 gun match at Bisley this coming weekend

got just about everything at home, lever action in CF and RF, .22 semi auto rifles and long barrel pistol, .303 7.62, 10+1 semi auto 12g shotgun and should have finished making the .223 AR15 in about a month, time and money

if your looking for any 10/22 parts just gimme a shout with what your after.

[Edited on 30/1/12 by tony-devon]

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deltron63

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not allowed to have guns
tony-devon

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
just to mention that if you want a barrel, you will have 2 options, swap it over with the seller, or buy it through an RFD etc and you will need a slot for ".22 barrel only"

just to scare you LOL I did a build up and test fit with a customer today, with a semi decent scope on top, you looking at £1700 for a 10-22 LOL

website is still in need of a lot of products adding to it, we opened a new showroom/armoury at beginning of the year and been snowed under with work

www.rudefatdog.com

and

www.blackguns.co.uk

pages are currently down due to server issues LOL, typical

[Edited on 30/1/12 by tony-devon]

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.