Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: my 1st blacktop zetec install help/advice coventry
verybudgetzetec

posted on 6/2/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
my 1st blacktop zetec install help/advice coventry

hello all! my name is dave & i've been bobbing around this forum for around 2 weeks but only went through the verification process today to allow me to post, i'm based in coventry & a bit of a novice really! i have been fiddling with old cars of all type for years but i've decided to get myself a blacktop zetec & get it all setup for RWD to swap into my current car

i've only got a 1275 midget engine in my current car so it'll definately be a big jump in power when i fit the zetec!!!! also going to have to fit a type 9 box & probobly custom prop-may get away with a standard one-not sure untill the engine/box is fitted

i know this is a "locost" forum but i have to confess i am going to investing a brand new zetec, all the other parts will be 2nd-hand & refurbed my myself

so far i have managed to get some parts together such as a megajolt ignition setup with edis components-this is my current project to install & get up & running n my car to get rid of points & dizzy! plus i think it'll give me the benefit of having a working igintion setup to run the planned zetec

i have some kawasaki zzr1100 carbs which i have cleaned up & drilled the main jets to 1.7mm, bogg brother recommended this + other bits to get me up & running, i have NO clue what screws do what adjustment & which bits of tubing on the bike carbs are fuel feed/return/breather so need some advice on these-so far i have managed to strip them down to check the diaphrams in the tops & also got the bottom parts offf to check the floats were'nt sticking & as said above, i took the main jets out & drilled them
i plan to make my own manifold for these out of mild steel

other than buying a brand new engine i plan to fabricate alot of parts myself & or use good 2nd hand parts as basicly i have lost my job! but to keep my sanity whilst trying to get into employment again i'm going to plug on as best i can with my car project!
i'm a singleton with no kids so in some ways makes life a little easier

i have managed to get an rs2000 ally bellhousing & clutch fork before my job loss which was a bonus really/aslong as it fits with the blacktop zetec

i do have a few concerns cost wise being the water rail i need & also i'll need a rear bowl sump for my application due to the engine crossmemember i am using & tiny engine bay so if anyone can point me in the right direction of how to DIY these parts that would be fantastic

i can weld (just) i can paint (just) & i'm ok with most mechanical stuff, wiring just blummin baffles me!

i know a few questions i ask will have been asked before & i will be using the search, i have the time at the mo :O/ but if you guys can give me a parts list of bits i need to do this & any help advice i' be truely greatful

my plan is to take pics as i go, maybe/hopefully some vids too

i did see a vid on youtube of a chap i believe who posts on here with a yellow car that built a sort of frame to get an engine up & running on out of the car-i'd really love some advice on how to do that!!!!!

anyhow enough of my lengthy introduction & list of annoyingly/probobly repetitive questions

hope you guys can help cheers from dave

[Edited on 6/2/12 by verybudgetzetec]

eddie99

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ask away any questions, they will get answered on here

I've got a 1800 blacktop in one of our cars.... I also spend most of my time in Coventry so if you need any advice. Happy to help where i can.

However i used original ford throttle body on a made up plenum, and used a raceline sump and water rail so didnt fabricate any of those bits however plenty on here have done.

[Edited on 6/2/12 by eddie99]

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
whitestu

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i do have a few concerns cost wise being the water rail

My water rail is some 32mm vacuum cleaner pipe off ebay for about a fiver and a couple of hose bends. Cost very little and works perfectly

Here it is installed

[img][/img]

Alan M

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Dave Mac in Coventry is your man for the propshaft. Tell him what you are fitting to what, measure between output shaft and diff flange and he'll make a prop and balance it for you. (Good prices too)!

I work for Nuneaton College and we have a running Zetec engine rig, on original injection. I'll help in any way I can (pics, advice, etc).

ashg

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
these days locost seems to mean anything under 60k which is what a top of the line ultima or cobra will set you back. so i don't think you have anything to worry about

any pictures of the car and the current setup? we like to see everything on here.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

stevec

posted on 6/2/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am in Holyhead road, I can help a bit aswell I needed.
As said Dave Mac in Northey road is your propshaft man in Coventry.

Steve.

verybudgetzetec

posted on 6/2/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
thats awsome chaps, yeah anyone with a bit of experiance will definately be called for once i have the engine in my posession!!! which wont be long i dont think

as for the water rail, the zetec will be right up to the bulkhead bar (needs to be) so i think i'm going to have to get a racline or retro ford water rail, there is a water rail on ebay by a company called flakspeed, it utilises the OE ford thermostat housing Item number: 350467651082 i'm not sure if they are any good????? what do you guys think, its an odd design but i may have room that side of my engine

or if there is anY diy method, i have seen some people bolt a thermostat housing from a pinto on the back of the zetec cylinder head & use an inline thermostate somewhere along the pipe run?????? i've not seen an inline thermostat

as for the sump i'm not sure what route to take, if i could locate a sierra 1.8 cvh sump & oil pickup pipe i could modify these myself but i cant find one myself, local scrapyards have all but gone in coventry :O(

"my eventual plan once its all up & running is to drive to the nurburgring, have a few laps around & drive home-would be a great achivement for a home build i reckon!"
4re there any zetec engines that have to bowl of the sump at the flywheel end as standard?

basicly the cash to make this project happen is going to come from selling off all the car parts i have hoarded from previous cars i have owned, well...........untill i land my next job, if things are slow then i think i'll be venturing to collage to learn some relevant car building skills, tig welding & auto electrics would be superb!!!!

so far from reading on this site i have gathered this small parts list:
1 2ltr zetec blacktop engine
a zetec 1.8 flywheel
1 good type 9 gearbox with rs2000 bellhousing
a sierra dohc starter motor for direct fit
a rwd rear bowl sump-managed to locate a sierra 1.8cvh type with oil pickup but will need advice on how to modify it!!!!
a water rail due to a lack of space by my bulkhead bar!
bike carb intake manifold for zzr1100 carbs
megajolt & edis ignition setup including coil
ford focus exhaust manifold so i can make a super simple single dowpipe to meet up to my current exhaust-simplicity is king as they say!

if there is anything i have missed please advise................

stevebubs

posted on 6/2/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

i do have a few concerns cost wise being the water rail

My water rail is some 32mm vacuum cleaner pipe off ebay for about a fiver and a couple of hose bends. Cost very little and works perfectly

Here it is installed

Ditto - the water rail is primarily for aesthetics; if you have the space, you can do without it.

mazie

posted on 6/2/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Im in Cheylesmore so your welcome to pop round mine and have a look at how things are fitted. Try Whites scrap yard on the A45 towards the M1, ive had a few things from there now.
verybudgetzetec

posted on 6/2/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
fantastic some people pretty local to me on my end of town, brilliant! that will defo be a help once i have the motor in my hands!

one thing that is bugging me is do i actualy have to use a radiator expansion tank with a blacktop zetec, i had a look at the raceline website & it "seems" you dont need a an expansion tank, no for my application this would also be a bonus due to a lack of space

i must say my car is'nt a locost kit, its an un-known to be honest & space in the engine bay is a bit small, i'll get some measurements, the zetec will be a squeeze but fun once fitted & working

if anyone could shed light on the needed/not need expansion tank situ that would be great!

RK

posted on 6/2/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
You mentioned that you found wiring "confusing". It actually isn't really, and is kind of fun to learn, but to make it neat and tidy is VERY difficult. I have wired my car completely 4 times, and it isn't where I want it. I just don't know how, but I've done my best, and it works.

When you get to that part, I would highly recommend you try, and hire someone as a last resort if you want.

scotty g

posted on 7/2/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
none of the zetec's were designed with RWD in mind so the sumps don't have the deep bowl at the rear you need, CVH sumps are getting more difficult to find. the Blacktop has its sump made in 2 halves, the upper half boltted to the block is cast alloy but then there is a lower half bolted to that made of steel so can be chopped about as much as you want.
here's a LINKY to a site on how to do the chop.

verybudgetzetec

posted on 7/2/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
could i use a sierra cvh rwd sump on a blacktop? i can & fabricate in mild so not too phased about sump modding (famous last words)

also wiring, i just have one of those brains that does'nt retain anything, i vagueley remeber how a relay works, need to remind myself how to wire a basic switch, for instance a basic switch for an electric radiator fan-shicking really but on the flipside when i do have to throw myself into wiring as mentioned & i then enjoy it, if i have to leave a job to finish the next day i suffer brain drain i cant remeber how i have done the wiring previously

anything else such as welding, painting, fabrication i dont have a problome with-very strange fellow lol

also does anyone know who makes zetec inlet/intake manifold flanges???? i want to make my own bike carb manifold!

cheers all

scotty g

posted on 8/2/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
honestly not too sure about CVH to Blacktop but i would guess they do go together but as stated earlier, trying to get a CVH sump is gonna cost ya but the standard blacktop sump comes free with the engine.
Also, with regards to manifold flanges etc, do a search on ebay, "zetec rwd" or "zetec conversion" will throw up quite a few.

[Edited on 8/2/12 by scotty g]

cal

posted on 9/2/12 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
May i suggest DANST engineering for your inlet manifold. Got one from him when i fitted my zx7 carbs to my ZETEC. 1.7 main jets sounds very high tbh!! though if bog bros say so then cant really argue!! hope the conversion goes well!! are you running TPS or map for the MJ? if MAP then i have a pretty good base map for the 2.0 ZETEC
tims31

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by verybudgetzetec

i did see a vid on youtube of a chap i believe who posts on here with a yellow car that built a sort of frame to get an engine up & running on out of the car-i'd really love some advice on how to do that!!!!!

The man you want to talk to about this is big_wasa, a wealth of information about Zetecs and thankfully just round the corner from me

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

whitestu

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

also does anyone know who makes zetec inlet/intake manifold flanges???? i want to make my own bike carb manifold!

If you can get the carbs re-spaced just use the mainfold from a bike. I have Kawasaki ZX6r carbs respaced on the original bike rubber manifolds bolted to a 5mm ali plate cut to fit the Zetec.

[img][/img]

They work a treat and cost bugger all to make.

Stu

verybudgetzetec

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
cal, that would be superb if you have a megajolt map, my megajolt is the old v3 version, i'm not sure myself if this makes any differance or has compatabuility issues with the newer megajolt versions?

whitestu, thats a damn good idea there bud, almost like those "direct to head" throttle bodies, wonder if respacing my bike carbs can be a DIY JOBBY some investigation to be done, i really like that idea!!!

i managed to get a alternator setup for a blacktop zetec today for a half decent price although i'll be selling the alternator on as i'm going to try to get a smaller alternator than the lucas one but with the same two prongs on the top & one on the bottom (usually where the adjust bracket bolts) hope i make sence, its hard to put in text sometimes......

found a chap that does mild steel intake flanges for £11+a little postage cost so cant fuss to much about that, once i have got all the bits i need to start assembly/mocking up & as i make stuff i'll try to do pics & a thread on my zetec escapade!

i think i am going to make my own water rail/zetec thermostat relocation pipe, i think that describes what i'll end up making better

so i'm quite chuffed that things are moving forward, got the start of a few items i need rid of on ebay from old project cars etc etc on ebay so hopefully that will help balance the costs & also clear out stuff really i suppose i dont need really, sometimes you can keep to many things for a "rainy day"

whitestu

posted on 10/2/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

wonder if respacing my bike carbs can be a DIY JOBBY some investigation to be done, i really like that idea!!!

The are basically three steps to respacing the carbs

1. use ali tube and threaded rod to physically space the carbs to suit - dead easy
2. extend the throttle linkage tabs to suit - fairly easy
3. Extend the fuel rail to suit - the most difficult bit. Get some suitable sized alloy tube, cut to correct length and get grooves for 'O' rings machined into it.

Everything bar step 3 can be done at home with a bit of cutting / bending / bolting / welding depending on how you decide to do it.

For the fuel rail you just need someone with a lathe to turn the 'o' ring grooves.

Stu

verybudgetzetec

posted on 25/2/12 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
a little update guys, i have taken a chance & bought a 2.0 silvertop zetec engine from a mk2 mondeo,

obviously its a 2nd hand motor of unknown condition but i got it cheap as chips literally!!!

i plan to strip it to check it over but would like to get it running on a basic ignition & carbs to see what sort condition it is in currently

i dont know alot about these silvertop motors so if you goys could give me some pointers on them & what to check 1st,

i'll be giving it a damn good jetwash tomorow afternoon but it does'nt have any obvious oil leaks at present! so hopefully a good sign!!!!

obviously i'll bin the 2.0 flywheel for a 1.8 one

are there any guides'info on the internet reguarding rebuilding/reconditioning a silvertop, i'll be doing it all myself dues to cost! keep it as cheap as possible but mae a good little motor out of it, i only want to do a standard sort of check over & replace anything word beyon manufacters tolerance, of course gaskets/oil seals are a must

i have megajolt & edis parts + i have one of those ford esc modules

the engine i got also came with a loom but no ecu, its got all the stock injection setup on it!

would be great if i could get it running on the floor plz help i'm no used to these modern motors-i'm an oldschool pushrod type of engine guy usually

& these 2.0 zetec's are light & physicly small are'nt they

big_wasa

posted on 25/2/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
What do you want to know ?

I realy would advice not to open the motor up.

If you find a fault, get another,

Clean and service. A full rebuild costs more in parts alone than a new crate engine.

My vid ?

verybudgetzetec

posted on 25/2/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
is it not worth whipping the head off to check the head gasket?

i've been looking at it for the last 40 mins i'm not 100% its a 2.0 it may be a 1.8 but for the money i paid thats no great shakes but ar there any numbers/codes i can look for on the engine to confirm if its a 1.8 or 2.0 zetec?

good vid there wasa!!!! i'm a true newbie to getting an engien up & running on the floor although i have aquired a tubular metal trolley that i plan to mount the engine too in a rwd layout

do you guys think i should try to get it running on the floor with the original injection setup bearing in mind i have no clue how to go about it but dont mind having bash with some guidance also i have no ecu!!!! but being a silvertop with matching engine loom can i put a non pats ecu on it?????? & take it from there?

or should i just set it up with bike carbs & ford ecs or edis/megajolt

must admit i do fancy giving injection a go........but a bit clueless, need to get a good day on it buggering about to get my head around it

its all a bit exciting if its a decent motor........

verybudgetzetec

posted on 25/2/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
oh i forgot to answer you wasa,you as what i want to know but in all honesty i could do with a basic run down about these motors & injection to be honest

i'm a true novice to efi for sure......its baby steps for me i admit

building engines i can do without much greaf

cheers wasa & all

big_wasa

posted on 25/2/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt pull the engine apart unless you know it has a fault. As to engine size then there is a 16 18 20 cast into the block.

Full service inclueding cam belt and go from there.

The ecu's are wired differant between models and year so chances of getting any old ecu and it matching your loom arnt great but the loom can be rewired.
Early engines used eec-iv and latter eec-v, the differance is twice the amount of pins on the ecu.

You dont need to bench test it first but I love engines as much as I do cars. I plan on doing a simlar project this year with a super charged kv6.

I didnt use that engine in the vid, I sold it on. Just a toy.

If your motor has an engine number the first three letters will tell you what its from. The fourth and fifth from memory will tell you the year it was made.

Most of my engines have Pats as they have obd2 functions I like. Its no harder for me but I like wiring efi.

I can do the fuel injection for a lot less than bike carbs and Mjl but there is a lot of time in labour stripping and making looms up.

cheers

verybudgetzetec

posted on 25/2/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
did the silvertop engines have pats ecu or were they non pats? pats is some imobiliser type setup is'nt it?

when were the last silvertops used? i'll get out for a good look at the motor tomorrow morn! strip off all the un-needed parts

mine has a intake manifold with a single throttle body, the intake is plastic & like a blummin banana

is there any possability of me utilising the fuel injection setup what are the basics i would actually need for it to run

i only have the engine loom, no ecu at present, i know this sort of depends on whether its a pats/non pats ecu

would it help if i get whatever numbers/letters are on the block to see as mentioned above what size motor,what year its is etc etc

i hope i make some sort of sence

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.