Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield suspension dimensions
Minotto

posted on 9/2/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield suspension dimensions

Hi guys.

I'm in the process of building an M3-powered one-off that is loosely based on the 1955 Ferrari Monza. CroMoly chassis, carbon fibre body, 18" wire wheels and not much more.

The chassis is taking shape and I was finalizing the suspension design when it struck me that the narrow-track Westfield SEi (with its nice looking uprights) has near-exactly the same dimensions for track widths and wheel base as the Ferrari.

Wanting to advantage of this lucky coincidence, I was thinking of purchasing the A-arms and uprights from Westfield, but would like to know beforehand if I can squeeze that humongous BMW engine in. Plus I'm getting to the point where I will need to weld the front and rear tubes on.

And so I am looking for some basic suspension measurements:

Both front and rear:
* Horizontal distance between the mounting points for the lower control arms
* Ditto for the upper control arms
* Vertical distance between the top and bottom pickup points

Unfortunately, Westfield does not answer my emails. (They ARE still in business, right?)

Does anyone here have these dimensions??

MANY THANKS!!

Hans

[Edited on 9/2/12 by Minotto]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/2/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield are probably too busy building Euro-compliant turn-key cars to answer the question.

I don't own a Westfield anymore, or have one in the workshop, but just to let you know that the front wishbones are available in normal and widetrack. The standard chassis will swallow a Hayabusa, oil tank, Rotrex and associated gear, intercooler(s) and a number of oil radiators.. I know this, I've done it. V8's go in... all between the standard wishbones.

I can't see you'll have a problem if you simply buy them and move the pickup points on the chassis to suit.

Minotto

posted on 9/2/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Don't under-estimate the size of that BMW engine! It is quite a bit larger than a typical V8. The engine is canted to the right (by some 20+ degrees or so) and because of that requires massive width (or a very asymmetrical chassis). My upper tubes are a whopping 71 cm (28" ) apart and will then clear the engine by half an inch only.

In order to use any decent suspension geometry, I will need to step the upper chassis tubes closer together right in front of the engine and use some weird looking off-set upper A-arms (two tubes swept back rather than one forward and one back).

Even when I'd simply order the stuff now, I'd still need to know for what chassis dimensions the whole lot has been designed, or the geometry could be all over the place.

Any idea who I could approach for these dimensions?

Thanks!!

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Westfield are probably too busy building Euro-compliant turn-key cars to answer the question.

I don't own a Westfield anymore, or have one in the workshop, but just to let you know that the front wishbones are available in normal and widetrack. The standard chassis will swallow a Hayabusa, oil tank, Rotrex and associated gear, intercooler(s) and a number of oil radiators.. I know this, I've done it. V8's go in... all between the standard wishbones.

I can't see you'll have a problem if you simply buy them and move the pickup points on the chassis to suit.

franky

posted on 10/2/12 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minotto
Don't under-estimate the size of that BMW engine! It is quite a bit larger than a typical V8. The engine is canted to the right (by some 20+ degrees or so) and because of that requires massive width (or a very asymmetrical chassis). My upper tubes are a whopping 71 cm (28" ) apart and will then clear the engine by half an inch only.

In order to use any decent suspension geometry, I will need to step the upper chassis tubes closer together right in front of the engine and use some weird looking off-set upper A-arms (two tubes swept back rather than one forward and one back).

Even when I'd simply order the stuff now, I'd still need to know for what chassis dimensions the whole lot has been designed, or the geometry could be all over the place.

Any idea who I could approach for these dimensions?

Thanks!!

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

The don't need massive width, just to be well packaged. My GKD was no wider in the nose than anything else

Minotto

posted on 10/2/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankyThe don't need massive width, just to be well packaged. My GKD was no wider in the nose than anything else

Ok, you've got my attention. Do you have some pics maybe?

Thanks!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.