Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Subaru Foresters ? Advice
T66

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Subaru Foresters ? Advice

My freelander will be going in the next few months, did fancy a Discovery td5/ Shogun SWB / - Running costs are putting me off.

And Im considering a Forester 2.0XE - Not everyones cup of tea, cheap to buy compared to the rest, and will tow and do crap weather if needed.

Any Locosters had one ? Know anyone with one ? Pros/Cons ? Horror stories ?

Looking at a 2005/2006 ish model - auto. £5-6k

scootz

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Had a shot of an STi one once... bonkers!

PS - did you pick up my voicemail?

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
no voicemail Scott ?? you have a u2

Ps - STI ? Not as bonkers as the old Saab......

[Edited on 9/2/12 by T66]

sebastiaan

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
They drive pretty well for what they are. A bit sluggish thoug, especially with a slushbox. I think the '05 - '06 models were the last of the old series? I actually liked those a lot better than the "new" one, which actually is an old forrester with a new body plonked on top. Should be mechanically bulletproof, just don't get an LPG converted one as the valve seats don't last. (I was involved in the development of the official "ecomatic factory converted" models for the Benelux and Germany)

Basically, it's a good choice as far as softroaders go, but I'd also look at a similarly aged legacy tourer if I were you. A lot nicer still to drive and also comes with AWD. You might also look at a 2.5 outback; those are actually good to drive, and would be as able off-road (well, in a field) as a Forester.

richmars

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Had a 2l non turbo for about 3 years and I love it. I just does what it's suppose to with no fuss. I use it mostly on road, plus about once a week on a muddy track picking up logs, and it's been fine. Currently doing about 32mpg, and just routine maintenance.
T66

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
They drive pretty well for what they are. A bit sluggish thoug, especially with a slushbox. I think the '05 - '06 models were the last of the old series? I actually liked those a lot better than the "new" one, which actually is an old forrester with a new body plonked on top. Should be mechanically bulletproof, just don't get an LPG converted one as the valve seats don't last. (I was involved in the development of the official "ecomatic factory converted" models for the Benelux and Germany)

Basically, it's a good choice as far as softroaders go, but I'd also look at a similarly aged legacy tourer if I were you. A lot nicer still to drive and also comes with AWD. You might also look at a 2.5 outback; those are actually good to drive, and would be as able off-road (well, in a field) as a Forester.

Good reply - I was looking to avoid the 2.5 engine (fuel) , and I do like the Outbacks but the 3.0 engine is putting me off, the price of them is great !

I drive a Freelander now (sluggish) and at 45 Im very ready to not change gear (auto), Id heard Subaru flat four bottom ends were soft, is the 2.0xe bombproof more or less. ?

scootz

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
no voicemail Scott ?? you have a u2u...

LOL... who's phone have I left a random message on!?

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richmars
Had a 2l non turbo for about 3 years and I love it. I just does what it's suppose to with no fuss. I use it mostly on road, plus about once a week on a muddy track picking up logs, and it's been fine. Currently doing about 32mpg, and just routine maintenance.

Auto or manual ? They have a tough reputation, and the appeal is there are loads of them for sale.

T66

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by T66
no voicemail Scott ?? you have a u2u...

LOL... who's phone have I left a random message on!?

My old mobile number ? ends 6113 ?

scootz

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
That's the one!

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Biff :

scootz

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
You hit the ABC there Ivo... Accuracy, Brevity and Clarity!

It's Evolution Baby!

sebastiaan

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 and 2.5 should both be oretty good, although I've got no clue about real world fuel consumption. The flat 6 I've got no personal exoerience with, but a legacy 2.5 or an outback would be my personal choice.

If you do go for a 2.0 auto, get ready for a LOT of automatic downshifts in slightly hilly terrain. I'd say test drive both before comitting to buy a 2.0

quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan

Good reply - I was looking to avoid the 2.5 engine (fuel) , and I do like the Outbacks but the 3.0 engine is putting me off, the price of them is great !

I drive a Freelander now (sluggish) and at 45 Im very ready to not change gear (auto), Id heard Subaru flat four bottom ends were soft, is the 2.0xe bombproof more or less. ?

SPYDER

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Although not directly applicable to your requirements ...
I had a 1997 Forester from nearly new. Kept it for nearly ten years. 110k miles including plenty of towing. Still on original clutch and exhaust. Electric aerial failed at 5 years followed by digital clock. Nothing else broke or fell off. Had replacement discs more than once and things like batteries and bulbs. Totally rust free when I sold it. If the later models are built like mine was then I can recommend them. My next car will be a diesel Forester.

rf900rush

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a 2000 outback since 2003
Parts that have need do be fixed so far are

Head gasket (last year) (Diy with 2 of us .10hrs)
Suspension drop links. (easy)
Back exhaust box. (easy)

VDC system is intermittent but is only fitted to the Lux version. does make it idiot proof in the snow

I have been looking for a newcar one to replace it.
Each time I look at all the other options the Outback and forester still look the best all round options for me.
I have looked at nissan X trail, hyundai 4x4, volvo XC90, and a few others.
The wife is off disco's since driving my old '75 Range Rover

Have used the Outback to Pull the wifes caravan. (below)
Not so good on fuel towing, but mid to hi 20's running around.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Sebastian -

I will have another look at the Outbacks, bulk of them in the £4-£6k brackets here are the 3.0 model, which scares me.

The 2.0XT is marginally more thirsty, but has a lot more power. I might have another look at the 2.0 turbo models etc.

Maybe a 2.0 turbo auto might be the one.

T66

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
I've had a 2000 outback since 2003
Parts that have need do be fixed so far are

Head gasket (last year) (Diy with 2 of us .10hrs)
Suspension drop links. (easy)
Back exhaust box. (easy)

VDC system is intermittent but is only fitted to the Lux version. does make it idiot proof in the snow

I have been looking for a newcar one to replace it.
Each time I look at all the other options the Outback and forester still look the best all round options for me.
I have looked at nissan X trail, hyundai 4x4, volvo XC90, and a few others.
The wife is off disco's since driving my old '75 Range Rover

Have used the Outback to Pull the wifes caravan. (below)
Not so good on fuel towing, but mid to hi 20's running around.

We are on the same wavelength - XC70/90 / Xtrail - All the Volvos up to about £9k are big milers, Xtrails get glowing reviews, but Im not sure about the car to look at. (Ugly)

I dont tow too often, but my trailer is fairly light anyway.

Cannot spend £12000+ on a diesel Forester with the kit car still in the garage consuming spare cash.

2.0XT is starting to sound like a good option.

richmars

posted on 9/2/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mines a manual. I also thought the low ratio box would be useful when I go off road, which isn't fitted to the larger engines (I think). Mines about 10 years old, but only at 81k miles, coming up to it's second cam belt change (I'm the second owner, first didn't do many miles but looked after it well.)
We need something with some off road ability, but not too big, so the Forester is perfect.

nick205

posted on 9/2/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Friend had 05 Forester for a couple of years through work. Very underrated IMHO, not a star in any one aspect, just a very good all rounder.

NigeEss

posted on 10/2/12 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
My sister has an R reg Legacy estate and an X reg Outback, both have been faultless. Yes, they're
a bit heavy on fuel(well they are both 2.5l) but do everything you ask of them from towing a caravan to a
track day at Oulton in the R reg !!
Her best friend has a 54 plate 3 litre Legacy est and is an absolute beasty Sadly with a thirst to match
as you can't help but boot it every where as the flat 6 sounds ace and with 240 ponies it don't hang about
either.

[Edited on 10/2/12 by NigeEss]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Bare

posted on 10/2/12 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
A "b" grade car by any reasonable yardstick Pedestrian and agricultural in use.
Having said that..Many love the things Beyond My ken though. Lumpy Target Drone engines and all.
My sister has a Subaru Franchise and despite her best efforts I prefer to walk than drive, let alone own a Subie :-)
Personal preferences though :-)

Ivan

posted on 10/2/12 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
Had a 2.5 Auto Outback for 2 years and 60000km and loved it except for lack of overtaking ability but brilliant cruiser - no idea what consumption I got but think around 28 MPG. Now have 2.5XT manual Forester (2 Yrs - 60000 km) and it is absolutely my favourite car of all time (Don't ask me why but I just enjoy driving it so much) - only complaint is road noise on long trips which I have improved by a subjective 50% by soundproofing doors but still not as quite as Outback. Both cars brilliant on gravel. Subaru slush-box is very old fashioned with slow changes and a tendency to inappropriate changes which can get annoying.

Both cars have been totally reliable - will definitely buy another Subie. Only replacement part was blown shock on left rear of Forester at 400 pounds that happened on a 500 km high speed drive on poor gravel roads in the Richtersveld, so my own fault, but the car is just so much fun in those circumstances.

A friend who has had two Imrezas and does his own maintenance work says that they are the easiest cars to work on - he says that you can see that they were designed by engineers without too much interference from accountants - but then he has spent most of his life being an Alfa fanatic so guess any other brand would be easier to work on.

Forester is significantly better than Outback off road mainly because of shorter overhangs and wheelbase and higher ground clearance but neither are true off road vehicles.

Most of my mileage (60 - 70%) is on the National roads on trips of about 700 - 1000 kms a day and about 10 - 15% on gravel tracks and roads - the rest is in Urban environment.

hughpinder

posted on 10/2/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 2.5 (non turbo) legacy estate fro about 3 years. It was good to drive, and returned 32mpg on a run with all the family and out holiday luggage in (while covering 460 miles up to scotland in 6.5 hours). Typically was 28-30mpg for mixed driving. Was low 20s towing a horse trailer (about 1.2t all up I guess). Mine was gas converted and achieved the same mpg on LPG which was rather strange. The oil seal rings went after about 65000 miles which was why I finally got rid of it, and I was told this was quite common on LPG converted cars - no problems with the valves though. Compression was still good, and you could't actually tell there was a problem unless you looked behind you while it was warming up to see the smoke screeen! It used its tyres up in about 15000 miles, I had a clutch (£650!!) and radiator(also £650 from the main stealer). At the time I had mine the 2.5's were as rare as hens teeth so you ended up at subaru for everything - should be ok for bits now though

Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.