Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone here own a Ferret Scout Tank?
DIY Si

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone here own a Ferret Scout Tank?

Afternoon all.

There is a chance of a life insurance policy I have paying me lots of money for having been quite ill. And with some of the money I would like to buy a Ferret Scout Tank. You know, one of these things:

But I don't know a great deal about them, nor do I know anyone local that has one so I can go have a good nose about. Whilst I would prefer a Stalwart as they float, having looked into them, it would ruin me. So this would be a nice little weekend run about type of tank!

So basically, do you or someone you know have a Ferret? Any hints/tips/advice would be welcome!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes please! Very jealous!

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

bbwales

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Sorry to be pedantic but it is a Ferret Scout CAR, it had a Rolls Royce B60 engine, or if unlucky it could have the BL version of the engine, the gearbox is a 5 speed preselect unit with forward and reverse ytansfer box and it is constant 4WD, the weak point is the transmission it can fail easily without you knowing and then it will fail again leaving you stranded, ask me how I know.

Anything else you want to know just ask, I have repaired a few in my time including an engine change in the desert which was a sheer joy.

Regards

Bob

mark chandler

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel slopes the wrong way and incredibly uncomfortable to drive from a very distant memory

You need a nice off road area to play in

http://milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=1

is where you need to look.

I would prefer something like this myself

AEC
AEC

Regards Mark

[Edited on 14/2/12 by mark chandler]

TimC

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote

britishtrident

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Stalwarts might float but they almost all had the propulsion jet unit removed back in the late1970s.
Do the sensible thing a buy a nice Champ.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC

A nice little "tonk"

[/I]

sebastiaan

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Do the sensible thing a buy a tank.

This is exactly why I love this place!

Davegtst

posted on 14/2/12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
How much does one of those go for? What about something like a brdm?http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/Tanks_Trucks_Jeeps_for_sale_page.html
kipper

posted on 14/2/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
ferret

I used to drive one when I was in TA'S , BLOODY AWFUL THINGS.
Engine was sweet as a nut but everthing else was very agricultural.
There is one sat outside the barracks in Calvert lane in Hull.
Best of luck.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

bobinspain

posted on 14/2/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Afternoon all.

There is a chance of a life insurance policy I have paying me lots of money for having been quite ill. And with some of the money I would like to buy a Ferret Scout Tank. You know, one of these things:

But I don't know a great deal about them, nor do I know anyone local that has one so I can go have a good nose about. Whilst I would prefer a Stalwart as they float, having looked into them, it would ruin me. So this would be a nice little weekend run about type of tank!

So basically, do you or someone you know have a Ferret? Any hints/tips/advice would be welcome!

Not being pedantic, but you'd have to be very ill indeed for a 'life policy' to pay out. You'd need to be dead, hence the term life policy.
Main thing is, make the most of getting better and buy whatever 'floats your boat.'

DIY Si

posted on 14/2/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbwales
Hi,

Sorry to be pedantic but it is a Ferret Scout CAR, it had a Rolls Royce B60 engine, or if unlucky it could have the BL version of the engine, the gearbox is a 5 speed preselect unit with forward and reverse ytansfer box and it is constant 4WD, the weak point is the transmission it can fail easily without you knowing and then it will fail again leaving you stranded, ask me how I know.

Anything else you want to know just ask, I have repaired a few in my time including an engine change in the desert which was a sheer joy.

Regards

Bob

I know, I know, but calling it a tank is easier for anyone who doesn't know much about them. I have spent a good while trawling round the net trying to find out what i can, but I suspect many of the folks with these sort of things are off playing with them rather than being on-line.

Whilst I know they're fairly basic things, I may only have room for something small and I won't have loads of money to spend on buying the initial vehicle. It's more the critical illness part of the policy that may pay out, so it won't be millions! But if it were I'd be dead, so every cloud and all that!

So then bbwales,

any tips of what to look out for? OR for that matter another option all together? I' not dead set on a Ferret, but they do seem to be fairly easy to get hold of and look after as these things go.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

monck

posted on 14/2/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think there very cool

If you want to buy one this is a good site to have a look on seems you can buy anything from a 80 ton tank to a helicopter

http://www.milweb.net/home.php

Ryan

mad4x4

posted on 14/2/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
What about linky

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

DIY Si

posted on 14/2/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't realise they'd become that cheap. Last time I looked at Hagglunds they were more than that.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/2/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
ferretscout

Dave the boss of three corners garage ambrosden oxfordshire has one in his reception area give him a ring if you want to have alook at one tel 01869 320100
T66

posted on 14/2/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Obvious guys to speak to are the all wheel drive club http://awdc.co.uk/

And for stalwart information, try Ralph Hosier - He is a fine engineer who has owned a few. http://www.rhel.co.uk/

what about the Russians ?? A GAZ66 camper ? http://www.russianmilitary.co.uk/

[Edited on 14/2/12 by T66]

bbwales

posted on 14/2/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

One of the major problems with the FSC was the brake bands in the gearbox going out of adjustment or the bands wearing, when this happens you can end up with your left knee near your ear when pre-selecting the next gear. if a hub breaks you need not nessessarily know about it until the next one goes and then you have 2 dead hubs and alot of sweat, blood and tears to replace them. The hubs are epicyclic reduction hubs. Electrics are ok but if anything goes wrong be-warned all the wires are white which makes fault finding a right PITA even though they are marked at each junction, all cables are screened to prevent interferrance to the radios.
Spark plugs are also screened and could be difficult to get hold of.

The FSC is a great vehicle to drive and you can fit electronic ignition to them (like the system fitted to the CVR(T) prior to dieselisation) which is what I would reccomend as the distributor has 2 sets of points in it, one movable and the other fixed which makes it interesting to time the points to the engine and you will swear a great deal when doing it, if I remember correctly the movable set was timed to cyls 1,3 & 5 and the fixed set to 2,4 & 6.

I know this sounds like doom and gloom but in the 22 years I served in REME I only remember sending 1 FSC to workshops for a new G/box and the engine change I did in the desert during the 1st Gulf War so they are quite reliable really.

Regards

Bob

MikeR

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I thought this was the same vehicle they had in the Coventry transport museam. If so when i looked at it a few weeks ago it said it was a damlier engine which combined with the very heavy body meant it was dog slow and topped out at 40 or 50 mph.
bbwales

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike,

No the FSC had a RR B60 which was a part of a family of engines with intercgangeable parts i.e. Valves/Springs/Rocker Shafts (split into 2 cylinders)/Pistons/Conrods/ Mains etc.

The B40 was fitted to the Champ, B60 to the FSC and the B80 fitted to Saracen and Saladin, there was another a B81 which did not have the interchangable parts and was fitted to the Stalwart.

The engine was F type, i.e. exhaust valves were side valve and inlets were overhead. RR made all the initial engines and then BL got the contract as they could produce the engine cheaper. The only way I found of knowing which engine was which was when you took the sump off on the RR all crank/conrods were hand scraped to remove the surface tensions whereas BL just shot blasted them.

Regards

Bob

DIY Si

posted on 15/2/12 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Bob,

Thanks for that, some good info there. So whilst fault finding can be a fiddle, over all they're a solid little vehicle? Since I would probably be using it for mainly road use, is there any thing that can be easily done to either increase it's top speed or it's range? I don't mind going everywhere at 40-50 mph, but it would be nice to be ale to go further afield in it should the desire arise. Or is it just one of those things that you have to live with?

The top speed is one thing that would put me off a Hagglund having looked closer again. Maxing out at 34 would make using it anywhere other than fields a PITA I think. Which is a shame, as I think they're really quite cool things.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

T66

posted on 15/2/12 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Humber Pig APV Military Tank Armoured Car Riot Security SWAT Police | eBay

JoelP

posted on 15/2/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66

Thats got to be eye wateringly thirsty, 7.5 tonnes with a 4.2 litre engine. Might even be worse than my jeep!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

T66

posted on 15/2/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by T66

Thats got to be eye wateringly thirsty, 7.5 tonnes with a 4.2 litre engine. Might even be worse than my jeep!

8mpg I would guess......

On a run

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbwales
Hi,

One of the major problems with the FSC was the brake bands in the gearbox going out of adjustment or the bands wearing, when this happens you can end up with your left knee near your ear when pre-selecting the next gear. if a hub breaks you need not nessessarily know about it until the next one goes and then you have 2 dead hubs and alot of sweat, blood and tears to replace them. The hubs are epicyclic reduction hubs. Electrics are ok but if anything goes wrong be-warned all the wires are white which makes fault finding a right PITA even though they are marked at each junction, all cables are screened to prevent interferrance to the radios.
Spark plugs are also screened and could be difficult to get hold of.

The FSC is a great vehicle to drive and you can fit electronic ignition to them (like the system fitted to the CVR(T) prior to dieselisation) which is what I would reccomend as the distributor has 2 sets of points in it, one movable and the other fixed which makes it interesting to time the points to the engine and you will swear a great deal when doing it, if I remember correctly the movable set was timed to cyls 1,3 & 5 and the fixed set to 2,4 & 6.

I know this sounds like doom and gloom but in the 22 years I served in REME I only remember sending 1 FSC to workshops for a new G/box and the engine change I did in the desert during the 1st Gulf War so they are quite reliable really.

Regards
Bob

Champ RRR B40 points were bad enough to setup, remember the little cam adjuster screw.

Re-white wires memories of changing the switch panel assembly on one particular Champs all the identifying sleeves were unreadable.

the pedal pumping to try and get a gear with Daimler pre-selector gearbox brings back memories of a 1950s Daimler car i encountered.

[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.