Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: attaching cables drilling roughcast walls
swanny

posted on 17/2/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
attaching cables drilling roughcast walls

Hello all,

just a quick question here regarding roughcast exterior walls.

had a quote for installing a digital aerial and other stuff which seemed steep (100 quid an hour?) so have decided to do most of cabling and other bits myself and just get the guy up on the chimney to replace old analog aerial and connect up my cables.

This will mean drilling into and then attaching cables to our roughcast exterior walls.

aerial guy seemed quite nervous about drilling these to make holes for the cables incase loads of roughcast came off in the process. there is also the issue of trying to secure cables to the same wall.

i wont be running huge amounts of cable as i intend to do the link from front to back of house via the loft but obviously want the visible bits to be neat. (existing cabling was done prior to roughcast 2-3 years ago)

any experts on here suggest clever ways to drill or attach cables to this? or do i just need to be careful and get on with it?

thanks

paul

BenB

posted on 17/2/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Why drill it? You're only attaching a cable to the wall... Is it not possible to attach the wires to the wall with one of the multitude of glues / adhesives available.
swanny

posted on 17/2/12 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
i need to drill the holes to get the cables into the house itself. (should have said we are adding aerials to rooms where there currently isnt any)
paul

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/2/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe he has a massive sds drill or something that is damaging. If concerned, drill without hammer action or a mild one, not too aggressive.
tradesmen hate it when they get the blame for damage which does regularly happen when drilling, especially on a suspect area. Roughcast was often applied over poor quality bricks too, another cause for concern.

Confused but excited.

posted on 17/2/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
swanny, there is no such thing as a digital aerial. If this is what you have been told by an installer, find another one.
If however you are having problems with reception and not getting all the channels,, then you may need to change your original aerial for a wideband aerial.
If you want to feed several TV sets then just use one aerial and a powered distribution amplifier.
HTH.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

daniel mason

posted on 22/2/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
what type of house do you have swanny? stone or cavity walls? and where are you trying to get wires from and to? u2u me with details and ill explain the best and most cost effective way of doing what you want.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.