Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cant start engine
foxy1305

posted on 26/2/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
cant start engine

After the winter layup and a bit of tinkering, tried to start teh Westfield crossflow today. Of course the battery is flat. So hitched up to my weekly diesel car, but still wont start. About a quarter turn and thats it. So then with a jump starter attached, bump started the car. This was no trouble and all runs fine. But when stopped it wont start under its own battery supply. Just about turns over once, just like a flat battery but this isnt the case as its been hooked up to a perfectly good high power diesel car battery. So what is my problem. Can it be a duff starter motor or solenoid maybe. Really scratching my head!
dave r

posted on 26/2/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
check main earths

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/2/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Charge the battery and clean the connections for a start, then check the earth lead to the engine
britishtrident

posted on 26/2/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
(1) Undo & clean the battery terminals
(2) To do a quick and dirty test on the earth straps, use one jump lead to connect a good clean earth on the engine to the battery negative, then try the starter, if it starts its is the earth braids.

What voltage is the battery showing across the terminals with the engine off ? It should be at least 12.5v if the battery has a decent charge.

Jump starting from a battery no matter how big won't charge a completely flat battery.
A flat battery needs a slow low amp rate charge absolute minimum 12 hours 24 better 30 hours max.
If after charging the battery and resting it for half an hour the terminal voltage still doesn't show 12.5 to 12.8 volts the battery is goosed.

If that doesn't work you need to do a bit diagnostics with volt meter to test for a dead cell in the battery battery.

The test is to check the voltage when operating the starter, if when you operate the starter the voltage very quickly drops to 6 volts the battery is goosed, but if the battery voltage stays over 9v the battery is probably OK.

I can recommend anybody having similar problems to buy load voltage tester such as a Silverline 282625 a seriously useful bit of kit and Argos are selling them for £12.99

link to item in Argos online shop.

[img][/img]

[Edited on 26/2/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

foxy1305

posted on 26/2/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
The slave battery I have used is fine. This is not a battery problem. My W/F battery I think is shot but but connecting a good car battery or jump lads does not make the car start it still only just turns over once and then dead. When bump started it runs fine.
britishtrident

posted on 26/2/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have you altered the ignition timing ?

I any event you should check the battery voltage under no load and when you operate the starter.

Alp if your battery is completely flat or goosed normal DIY jump leads won't do the job.

[/I]

Dusty

posted on 26/2/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you connected a known good battery and it still failed where did you connect it? If you connected a known good battery to the existing battery terminals and the problem is a seriously corroded joint at one of the battery lead ends , say on the starter or the engine earth or one of the leads is part broken then you still won't get the current flow you expect and it still won't start. The car has been standing unused for months. Corrosion happens. Start at the most likely problem (and the cheapest). Clean all ends of large cables before you look elsewhere for the fault.
KitCatE1

posted on 26/2/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for cleaning the terminals had to jump start mine the last couple of times cleaned all the terminals starts first time, saying that it is a pinto takes the power of a god to turn the bugger over lol
foxy1305

posted on 26/2/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you all know more than me but with the jump leads connected or a jump starter connected it does try to turn over. This doesnt sound to me like corrosion, am I wrong?
Dingz

posted on 26/2/12 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

am I wrong?

Yes, read Dustys reply

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Peteff

posted on 27/2/12 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Remove the duff battery and put the good battery onto the car then try to start it. Humour us. Are you connecting to your battery terminals or to the live and a good earth point on the chassis ?

[Edited on 27/2/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blakep82

posted on 27/2/12 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
jump leads cannot supply proper cranking current, only an extra boost to support a weak battery. your battery is completely knackered, and as you say can't hold a charge.
replace knackered battery with good battery (NO jump leads) and i can almost guarantee it'll start run and restart fine

i tried starting my car with no battery in place (same as completely knackered battery basically) and connected up with jump leads. managed a quarter turn and some smoke from the leads.

ditched leads, connected battery up with proper cables and battery clamps, started and ran perfect

so, take the old battery out and its not doing anything, and swap for the good battery from your diesel, and it'll all be good

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 27/2/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Proper pro jump leads (£40 upwards) will start a car with a dead flat battery DIY quality leads won't.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.