<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: E46 M3 or 5.7 Monaro
Gaz7612

posted on 27/2/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
E46 M3 or 5.7 Monaro

Hi all
Thinking about changing my car.
At the minute I've got a 2005 2.0 Impreza STI with stage 1 mods (about 330/340 BHP)

Looking to either get a 2003 E46 M3 coupe or a 5.7 monaro.

Does anyone have any idea what these to are like compared to my current car?
The car will be my main car.

Many thanks Gary

daniel mason

posted on 27/2/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
id have the m3, if i could afford servcing and running costs. i have had 2x imprezas 1 an sti, and an evo 8 and loved them all. great cars!

Gaz7612

posted on 27/2/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just getting a little bored of the Impreza now, had it a year.

I've always wanted a M powered car but something keeps pulling me to the monaro....

nick205

posted on 27/2/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
No experience of either, but I'm pretty sure the Beemer would be a nicer place to sit.

Autosri

posted on 27/2/12 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
The m3 is a great car but they can get rediculously expensive to maintain I think one of the services is around 1k parts are expensive if you need replacements but they don't seem to go wrong all that often They handle increadably well and the cabin area is a really nice place to be
I own a e46 330 clubsport and did coincider an m3 but realised I couldn't afford to look after it properly so went with the 3 litre as I knew I could look after it properly and then fitted nitrous

I'm looking at a manaro as my next car just for the rawness of it but if I'm honest I know very little about them

big_l

posted on 27/2/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have a e46 m3 convertible it's a 2001 and what a car absolutely bullet proof and
If you use cruise control I can average 30 mpg on the motor way !

Sadly for me it's time to sell it I need a bigger car (Porsche cayenne)
But some one will get a very good deal I'm after 7.5 k no offers
Good luck with the search

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

bj928

posted on 27/2/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
i would have to vote with the american muscle, all the BMW's i have driven i have hated, but thats just me, i went for the AMG merc and would have another, loverly cars, and not to bad to look after, the monaro at a guess would be easier to look after and as it is sold stateside as a pontiac GTO, parts would be dirt cheap
Waitey

posted on 27/2/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
M3.

The 5.7 Monaro is a bit useless to say the least.

305bhp All Steel Duratec Westie

Gaz7612

posted on 27/2/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waitey
M3.

Have you had both cars then?

Ninehigh

posted on 27/2/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted by the Monaro, but I would have the Vauxhall badges taken off!

bj928

posted on 27/2/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
another thing, the monaro is basicly an vauhall omega with a v8 and 2 door, so bits are cheap
coyoteboy

posted on 27/2/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Monaro can't be too good, they're only managing to drag 330 hp from a 5.7 V8, can't imagine much more effort went into the rest of the car? Never tried one though.
maccmike

posted on 27/2/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
test drive em both, RS4?
flak monkey

posted on 27/2/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Monaro/VXR8. Great laugh
bi22le

posted on 27/2/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
test drive em both, RS4?

That would be my direction too. You get the build quality and value for money from a german built car but the sound track of a V8..

I have never owned either but have worked on both. The Monaro does feel alittle plastic and cheapish.

You dont see many though so you would get the exclusivity. Nice situation to be in though, good amount of money to spend of a general driving car.

My 2p added!!!

HTH

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Ninehigh

posted on 27/2/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Monaro can't be too good, they're only managing to drag 330 hp from a 5.7 V8, can't imagine much more effort went into the rest of the car? Never tried one though.

Isn't that about standard for an American lump? Then again if you really wanted to I imagine you could get just over 600..

Then again I make that just under 58bhp/litre.. The 1.6 ford zetec engine is rated at 115bhp (iirc) so that's 71.. Is that too much a difference?

nick205

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Isn't that about standard for an American lump? Then again if you really wanted to I imagine you could get just over 600..

Then again I make that just under 58bhp/litre.. The 1.6 ford zetec engine is rated at 115bhp (iirc) so that's 71.. Is that too much a difference?

22% more bhp/litre seems a lot to me, the Monaro would push out 650+ bhp at the same modest level of tune.

Looking at the M3 specs it's making something like 110 bhp/litre in comparison.

Before anyone chips in I do appreciate the importance of torque figures as well BTW, just musing on the specific power output per litre side of things

bj928

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
the 5.7 v8 is just an old v8 with 2 valves per cylinder, as advanced as a pinto, but will just keep on going when all the high tech modern engine in the BMW has gone south, look out for a ford falcon, looks like the monaro but has a better engine and more modern multi valve engine.
bj928

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
here is fords answer to the monaro if u can find one, straight 6 turbo or v8 32v, also some are played with by tickford, you don't see many so you could be in a rare club

froggy

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
My mates m3 has had an engine failure due to the vanos falling to bits and the rear end started tearing itself out of the floor so we had to repair the chassis on a 2002 model . Very heavy on brakes and a pain to work on .

Bang for buck a monaro with some fettling to the brakes and suspension will be a hoot to drive and performance hikes are very good value for money compared to the bm .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

rdodger

posted on 27/2/12 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
I tested a VXR8 last year and loved it. Much better than I thought it would be.

In the end I just couldn't live with the 18mpg (got it down to 9mpg on the test drive!)

The sound was AWESOME!

morcus

posted on 28/2/12 at 03:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've no experience of either but I'd rather have a go in a monaro than an M3.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

StrikerChris

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
M3 all day long,but as said parts can be expensive so theres alot of dogs out there now they're getting on abit.Worn disks and tyres are a good sign the previous owner couldnt afford to run it,walk away....

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Waitey

posted on 28/2/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz7612
quote:
M3.

I owned a E46 M3 for 9 months, my best friend had a 5.7 Monaro. He sold it for an E46 M3. Says quite a lot really.

It wasn't really that fast, the interior was pretty naff and it was a bit soft.

If you tune a Monaro then it may be a different story, but as a standard package, the M3 wins hands down. The 6.0 VXR Monaro is an improvement, but its not vast.

Running an M3 isn't too bad either, it was certainly cheaper than my TVR T350. A big service inc valve clearances is £500 on the M3 from an Indy.

They are good on fuel too, mine returned 27mpg on my commute to work (15 miles of B roads)

The brake discs are expensive at £200 a pop but they last well, all other parts are highly reasonable I found.

[Edited on 28/2/12 by Waitey]

305bhp All Steel Duratec Westie

Gaz7612

posted on 28/2/12 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz7612
quote:
M3.

I owned a E46 M3 for 9 months, my best friend had a 5.7 Monaro. He sold it for an E46 M3. Says quite a lot really.

It wasn't really that fast, the interior was pretty naff and it was a bit soft.

If you tune a Monaro then it may be a different story, but as a standard package, the M3 wins hands down. The 6.0 VXR Monaro is an improvement, but its not vast.

Thats perfect thanks.
Havent even known anyone thats had both cars, so for your friend to of had both helps.
Think i'm just worried about getting a M3 and lots of things going wrong were as the Monaro is a much safer bet..

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.