Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dual Mass Flywheel Help
sky12042

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Dual Mass Flywheel Help

need advice

purchased a new tin top the other week, Honda crv 2.2diesel 57 plate, on first good run out noticed clutch slipping when above 2k revs, so took it back to garage brought it from and they said yeah clutch is slipping bing it back next week and we will replace clutch plates, so went in today, they ring up later to say that the dual mass flywheel is about on its limits, so they said while the clutch is out do i want them to replace DMF at £450.

Question is should this be part of the clutch related repair as only had it 1 week, and i've heard that DMF can cause slipping/worn clutch, if i do have to pay is £450 a good price, if i dont bother with new DMF, what is the likely outcome, dont want to end up replacing DMF is 6 months time.

Help.

Andy.

PSpirine

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I would replace the DMF purely because it's literally a 5 minute job if they're already doing the clutch (there should be no additional labour cost for them doing the DMF at the same time).

Not sure what they mean by "on the limits" - the actual dual mass damping springs/mechanism tends to fail relatively catastrophically and isn't a part that "wears" out.

Check how much the DMF costs on eurocarparts (can provide a discount code via PM if you want - not sure if it works on this category though) - I'd expect the garage to be able to get it at least as cheap as that for the same OEM brand.

paulf

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would tell them to change it as well at there expense or refund your money.What sort of warranty did they give? i would expect any fault to be covered for at least 3 months and if the flywheel is said by them to be on its limit then they need to replace it .
Paul

PSpirine

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked - £359.99 for a Luk DMF on eurocarparts, £305 with discount. Both of these are including VAT, so I'd expect the garage to be able to get it for about £260.

As I said, if they're doing the clutch, I certainly wouldn't pay more than a tenner on top to swap the DMF...

fesycresy

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
The DMF will start rattling like a pig and then break up!

How much are they from the motor factors? Looks like the garage could be getting some money back they're losing on the clutch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

sky12042

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
so do you think this should have been noticed before they sold it to me, and i should try and get it done under there waranty.

Andy

PSpirine

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I would tell them to change it as well at there expense or refund your money.What sort of warranty did they give? i would expect any fault to be covered for at least 3 months and if the flywheel is said by them to be on its limit then they need to replace it .
Paul

Just read Paul's post and then re-read the OP... if you bought the car a few weeks ago from the garage, they should fix everything for free.

EU mandates a warranty when purchasing a used car from a dealer. Most will only offer 3 months but that's plenty in your case. Get a written quote saying that the flywheel needs replacing as well and then get them to change everything free of charge.

Not sure what the specific law to quote is but I'm sure someone will come along shortly

austin man

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
go for it under warranty, a lot of people change the DMF for a solid one it may be worth considering this option if a solid one is available

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

sky12042

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
i got a 2 year rac warranty with the car, but i think they are trying it on with the DMF, surely the sale of goods act state that it must be fit for purpose at sale, if not then the seller should be given the chance to rectifie, i think thats right anyway...
britishtrident

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
There are specific angular movement limits for DMFs if the flywheel is outside the limits then there is no point in fitting a new clutch without also fitting a new DMF.
They have sold you car with vital parts worn outside the accepted limits so normally I would say if you have had the car less than 2 months the cost of the parts is down to them not you, either they fix it or give your money back.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

PSpirine

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Take it back, get them to fix both or take the car back for a refund (apparently both within your rights!)

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-buying-second-hand-cars/second-hand-cars-your-rights/

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
If the Dmf is at the limit of max wear tolerance then it needs changing, as for solid flywheel conversions I wouldnt touch them I have seen broken crankshafts when these have been fitted!. I would like to think the dealer that sold you the car should repair the car free off charge as you have only had it a short time.
perksy

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
As above
Its not 'fit for purpose' as it stands and pretty sure it will come under the sale of goods act

They either put it right and guarantee the work or you want a refund

Presumably if it has an RAC warranty it should have all been well checked before being offered for sale ?

sky12042

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the advice will have a word with them tomorrow, think it should be done under there sales warranty, as was like this when sold so surely not fit for purpose.

will let you know outcome

Andy.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Please do let us know.

I guess you've found out why the previous owner of the car decided to part with it....

craig1410

posted on 28/2/12 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
I agree they should repair the car without any cost to you.

However, how will you actually know if they have replaced the DMF or re-fitted the original ? If they aren't going to get any money from you for the job then they might be tempted to just put it back together and hope for the best.

I'd be inclined to offer to pay something towards the repair (say £100) but only on the condition you can witness the new DMF being taken from its packet and fitted to the engine. Maybe I'm being too cynical but depending on the garage involved my cynicism may be justified. £100 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that you now have a brand new DMF and clutch which you wouldn't otherwise expect to have in a 5 year old car.

HTH,
Craig.

snapper

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Manufacturers specify changing DMF, clutch plate and cover and on a Ford the hydraulic release mechanism.

I have just had the lot changed on a Mondeo as some Numpty only changed the clutch and whilst it looked ok the starter got filled with DmF dust 3 times then the DMF started breaking up, cost £650 cash

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

roadrunner

posted on 29/2/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
The DMF will start rattling like a pig and then break up!

How much are they from the motor factors? Looks like the garage could be getting some money back they're losing on the clutch.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a resonating rattle coming through my gear stick at the same revs in every gear, it starts at 3200revs then tapers off over 4000revs. I have checked exhaust and replaced all engine and gearbox mounts, and still the vibration is there, it even vibrates when in neutral.
I was starting to think it was the dual mass on its way out, but its been the same for the last year without getting worse.
If a dual mass is on its way out does it go fairly quickly.
Brad.

sky12042

posted on 29/2/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Update.

The garage have agreed to replace the DMF under warranty, but only after a lot of shouting and ranting about it.

rang our local Honda dealership and spoke to there service manager and he confirmed that if your replacing the clutch then you should replace DMF as well.

so a Big Thank you to you guys, would not of had the courage to argue about it without the confidance of the forum.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.