Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: benifits of a Sierra Type 9 Straight Cut Gearbox
whitstella

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
benifits of a Sierra Type 9 Straight Cut Gearbox

hi

just wondering what are the benifits from having 1 of these gearboxes????

cheers steve

coozer

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Errr, none unless your DEAF!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

whitstella

posted on 28/2/12 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
errr

WHAT
Chippy

posted on 28/2/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Straight cut gears are stronger than helical cut ones. This is because all of the tooth is in contact as against just part with helical. Most, if not all, race boxes are straight cut. There main drawback is they are "F" noisy. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

whitstella

posted on 28/2/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
cheers

thanks for the info i understand more now thanks
loggyboy

posted on 29/2/12 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
You know how noisy (whiney) reverse is on a lot of older cars? thats because most have straight cut reverse (cheaper).
Now imagine that times 2 or 3 (considering most people rarely use more than 1.4-2k revs when reversing)

snapper

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
In a 7 type car there is a good chance a straight cut gearbox will be loader than the exhaust.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 29/2/12 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Straight cut gears produce less friction ie reduce transmission power losses.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Paul Turner

posted on 29/2/12 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
When I started with 7's back in the 80's if you wanted a nice set of ratios (with a usable first) strait cut was really the only option. Had 2, both were 4 speed which are quiet once you are in 4th, with a 5 speed its noise all the way (unless you use 4th as top).

Now there are several suppliers who manufacture helical cut close ratio boxes thus for road use there is really no need to buy a strait cut. I have a BGH in the car but it was troublesome originally (sorted under warranty but it was a 400 mile round trip twice to sort) and I have since found out that many parts used are not new e.g syncros, they should be in a £1200 box surely. Worried about reliability I decided to get a spare sorted, Steve Perks at SPC built it for me from the front of a type 9 4x4 V6 box and the back of a dead diesel box plus his close first kit. It only cost me about £300 since the alloy bellhousing off the V6 box sold for £200 on e-bay, box cost me £6 on e-bay. He also does a beautiful full helical close box if you have a deep wallet, much better spec than BGH.

For racing I would probably still buy strait cut because they do release a few horsepower but for the road no way.

skippad

posted on 29/2/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
In my last kit i installed a trans-x straight cut box which was the best upgrade i ever made!
The ratios were so suited to the kit, long first gear (55mph in first) close ratio box, all ratios were just perfect (especially on track) and the sound (to my ears) was just fantastic....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 29/2/12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
And it just added to the whole 7 experience!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oddified

posted on 29/2/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I also have a tanx straight cut box in my car, and whilst it's obvious it is straight cut from the noise, it really isn't bad at all and far better than most other makes that i've been in/used. It's quite easy to have a conversation with a passenger or listen to the radio

Perfect ratios for my car/engine too.

Ian

Dopdog

posted on 29/2/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
wow that took nine replies until skippad said why we use them! much better ratios keeping the power all the way to top and also as oddified said not that bad and is surely the reason why we have these cars!! performance.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.