Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Omex 600 no crank signal?
adrianreeve

posted on 1/3/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Omex 600 no crank signal?

Trying to start engine for the first time. Got a base map from omex, very helpful guys, and all sensors are calibrated correctly. However, when I crank to try and start it, the parameters screen shows no rpm. As the ecu doesn't see the engine cranking, it won't do anything. I've spoken to guy at omex, and he's suggested some things, and has said to ring back tommorrow if they don't work, but in the mean time thought I'd ask the collective if they have had any similar experiences?

Cheers

Adrian

Chippy

posted on 1/3/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
If your not getting any RPM signal its usually down to the crank sender/sensor, are you using screened cable, do you have continuity in the wires, is the gap between sender and trigger wheel correct. Just a few things you can test/try. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

adrianreeve

posted on 1/3/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ray

Than for the reply. Using the omex semi assembled loom, so it is using screened cable, and it's a standard zetec sensor, using the flywheel marks, so should be no problems there. I'll check continuity I case I've buggered up the wiring. I'll also check to see if the pins are wired the right way around.

Cheers

Adrian

omega0684

posted on 1/3/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
is the sensor within 0.5 mm of the teeth on the trigger wheel, i had a similar problem, my sensor was 1mm from the teeth and it wouldn't see the signel, i moved it to 0.5 mm from the teeth and it started first time.

[Edited on 1/3/12 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adrianreeve

posted on 1/3/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure, but as its all standard ford stuff, I assume it's ok. Also don't think you can adjust the gap., as it sits in a fixed housing.
omega0684

posted on 1/3/12 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrianreeve
Not sure, but as its all standard ford stuff, I assume it's ok. Also don't think you can adjust the gap., as it sits in a fixed housing.

Make a bracket thats adjustable!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adrianreeve

posted on 1/3/12 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
But the flywheel is in the bellhousing, nowhere to put a bracket....
FatChapChipChop

posted on 1/3/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Adrian;

Not started that MegaSquirt I bought from you yet .. But, going back to previous cars, 2 of which were Zetec's, the only problems I encountered were

1. Sensor pins swapped round to correct signal.
2. Duff sensor.

The cable screen should be earthed only at the ECU end, and not at the sensor end. Otherwise, check the two wires are not shorting and have continuity end to end.

You can't go wrong with the sensor position as you ay, since there's a housing that locates the sensor in relation to the flywheel.

Cheers !!

Neil

Drive fast, don't look back!

adrianreeve

posted on 1/3/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Neil, let me know if you need any more info for the Megasquirt.

Thanks

Adrian

adrianreeve

posted on 1/3/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Gents

Thanks very much for all of the replies. Think I've found the problem....

Just popped into the garage to continuity test the crank sensor cable. Nothing. Look at bit further. I bought a semi assembled loom from omex, and used the wiring colour codes shown in their manual. Unfortunately, it would seem that the loom builder mixed up the shielded cables for the crank sensor and the road speed sensor, so the ecu wasnt receiving any signal from the crank sensor. I'll redo the sensor using the other cable, and all should be well

If anyone else has a semi assembled loom, just make sure you check the pin outs rather than just trusting the colour codes.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

Cheers

Adrian

adrianreeve

posted on 1/3/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Success!

Just changed the cable over, and the engine fired on the first turn of the key!!!!!

Thanks

Adrian

karlak

posted on 1/3/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Success!

Just changed the cable over, and the engine fired on the first turn of the key!!!!!

Thanks

Adrian

Nah, dont believe.. Not unless we see the video

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Chippy

posted on 1/3/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Success!

Thanks

Adrian

Well done, great when it actually fires up. Regards Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.