Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any boiler engineers Hago BPS
tegwin

posted on 1/3/12 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Any boiler engineers Hago BPS

Do we have any boiler engineers or knowledegable folk?

I need some information on Hago (Danfoss) BPS nozzles. I want to use one in a non boiler application but need to understand how it works inside the boiler. Struggling to figure out what is used to control the bypass pressure. I guess some sort of servo valve?

Also trying to find somewhere that stocks them in the UK...

[Edited on 1/3/12 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

t16turbotone

posted on 2/3/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, BPS nozzles are not that common and i only see them in large Riello oil burners, they are very costly compared to standard nozzles but i will try to explain what you need to know. The return oil line in a bypassing burner is normally set up to include a hand or automated valve and a pressure gauge. When the valve is opened
it allows a portion of the incoming oil to return (bypass) to the tank. This
reduces the flow rate through the nozzle orifice because opening the valve
has reduced the pressure of th oil reaching the nozzle orifice. As the valve
opening is increased, the flow through the orifice continues to drop. By
reading the gauge and matching the pressure readings against flow charts
supplied with each nozzle, the serviceman can determine approximately
how much oil is passing through the orifice. Of course, since the orifice flow
is changing, it means the air delivery to the burner must also be adjusted
accordingly. This is normally accomplished automatically with a linkage built
into these special burners. I do have some extra info if you need it!!!!

Tony

tegwin

posted on 2/3/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply.

My understanding of the BPS is that it allows better "throttling' of the burner without loosing proper atomisation of the fuel which you may get in a standard non bypassing nozzle?

My plan was to use one in a small jet engine burning diesel fuel. If I select the nozzle properly the engine would idle with the bypass fully open and reach max RPMs when the bypass is fully closed. This should allow me to run a lower pressure pump than I would have had to if I went for a normal nozzle.

Because I dont want to build an evaporator system for the diesel a really good atomising nozzle is vital for all flow rates otherwise the diesel wont light off properly.

When you say costly, what sort of money are we talking? I cant find anywhere to get a price from.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

t16turbotone

posted on 2/3/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you have an interesting project on the go! For clarity we use these nozzles on oil burners to get a modulating flame output. As a point of interest a normal nozzle is about 4-5 quid, the last time i ordered a bypass nozzle it was 90 quid with its manifold system

Tony

tegwin

posted on 2/3/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Wow... thats a big price hike! Maybe better off with multiple standard jets... Not as "neat" though.

I guess if they are not used much, finding surplus stock on ebay is not going to happen!

tegwin

posted on 3/3/12 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
On a slightly differnet note... Do you have any ideas what sort of maximum pressure and flow I could get from a domestic Danfoss oil pump like this one? Danfoss BFP21L3 oil pump 071N0156 BNIB | eBay

If I cant get hold of a BPS nozzle I might try a standard 3gph hollow 60 degree nozzle and vary the pressure to see if I can get a good enough spread of flows to allow an idle and fast speeds.

I guess I would need max 300psi..

t16turbotone

posted on 3/3/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
According to my crib shets the pump you mention has "light oil" classification, 3450 rpm rotation CCW, max pressure 20 bar, max delivery of 24L per hour

Tony

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.