Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 35mm praktica camera
jacko

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
35mm praktica camera

I have a camera as above with a 300mm lens and a small lens [ cant remember the size
what do you all think it's worth
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately i dont think they are worth much at all now

It might be worth looking to see if there is a 'collector' somewhere, i know there was a guy who used to advertise in my local paper wanted section for specific models.

Its a real shame because i had a few SLR's years ago, they are fantastic but not much call for them in these digital days.

I wonder if the lenses would fit DSLR's though ? they might be worth a fair price if they do??

Good luck

jacko

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Praktica MTL 3 35mm SLR Film Camera | eBay

Yes you are right i have just found this on EBay
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Its a real shame, my 1st proper SLR was a Praktica MTL5B, i had a wide angle lense, a 300mm lense, standard lense, got some amazing pictures over the years with it. It went pretty much everywhere with me. The wide angle lense was great for car shows.

I know some photography students still use SLR's instead of DSLR's because you do get a 'different' photo with them.

Im currently using a digital bridge camera which is great & the Mrs has a Nikon DSLR which is a fantastic piece of kit.

Its just unfortunate that these 35mm camera's are old hat now days

jacko

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
yes as you say, but time moves on with new things and designs
Jacko

ashg

posted on 4/3/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
the biggest problem with dslr is unless you have got several thousand pounds to spend it wont be 35mm full frame dslr, it will typically be a 1.4 or 1.6 crop sensor. which rules out shooting full frame in digital for most photography students as they cant afford the camera body let alone the lenses, which is why they end up using old under valued film slr cameras.

i would say stick it on ebay. you may not get much for it but im sure it will do someone a turn if they cant afford full frame digital.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

IanBrace
Builder

Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 4/3/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
If the small lens is a 50mm Pentacon they fetch up to £20 if it's a Carl Zeiss a little more and the bodies only make about £15 depending on which model it is..The bayonet fitting lens don't fetch as much as the M42 screw fit ones. I've picked quite a few up though for £10-15 for body and lens..
I have a bit of a collection of old Russian (etc) cameras. My first slr camera when I was 16 was a Zenit then moved onto a Practika and 20 years later went pro and still am!

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

Dave Ashurst

posted on 4/3/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a pile of all my old 35mm cameras. Always thought a 35mm-film-size digital adapter would be nice.
snapper

posted on 4/3/12 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with a digital adaptor is the it would have to fit with an accuracy of 1/2 a wavelength of light or it's out of focus.
Leaf do an adaptor back for 2 1/4 square format but that's tens of thousands of pounds.
I have a Bronica ETRS with 3 lenses and 6 film backs that's not worth 20% what I paid for it and 2 beautiful Linhofs that I can't sell

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Dave Ashurst

posted on 4/3/12 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Problem with a digital adaptor is the it would have to fit with an accuracy of 1/2 a wavelength of light or it's out of focus.
Leaf do an adaptor back for 2 1/4 square format but that's tens of thousands of pounds.
I have a Bronica ETRS with 3 lenses and 6 film backs that's not worth 20% what I paid for it and 2 beautiful Linhofs that I can't sell

Ooh, expensive!! I saw a big bin labelled "cameras £1 each" outside a second hand shop in Devon three weeks ago. It was full of assorted film cameras. Didn't notice any Bronicas or Linhofs though!!

and interesting, I wonder; does the surface of a digital sensor need to be so much more accurately located than a film? they are both photo sensitive devices... perhaps the degree of fit is the same. Then it's just a matter of adjustment.

If the sensor was made the same size as the film and similar granularity then wouldn't it be exactly as sensitive to fit as a film?

Hypothetical I know, but I wonder if it's viable as an aftermarket development. Camera manufacturers are obviously not going to be too keen, but someone with a factory in Shezhen might be persuaded.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 4/3/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
This might give you some ideas perhaps
kipper

posted on 4/3/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
old film camera's

Is my old pentax spotmatic really worth nowt.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

IanBrace
Builder

Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 4/3/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
Is my old pentax spotmatic really worth nowt.
Denis.

Not quite nowt, I'll give you £20 for it!

I managed to get an unmarked ME Super for £2.99 recently.. Going to need a bigger shelf soon, got about 40 cameras on it now!

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

Dusty

posted on 4/3/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto with my old pentax. But I have never produced a digital photo with anything like the technical quality as I did with the pentax. Currently have a £250 fuji. Also have a nikon coolpix, olympus FE280 and a no name cheapie all of which still work but don't get used!!!

That illustrates modern life to a tee. My pentax worked fine and lasted 30 years. Not one of my digitals has left me feeling satisfied and thinking 'Great camera, I'll keep this for the next 30 years'.

ashg

posted on 4/3/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
i must say in the past i was quite happy with the images from my compacts but since getting into slr i now think they are devils work for taking proper pictures. they still have a place for nightclubs and happy snaps where an slr just isnt practical but in reality just cant cut it if you want pictures your proud enough to print off and keep.

good example of happy snaps where i couldn't have used r didn't have my slr

from my panasonic compact camera

from my phone when i had no camera on me but couldnt miss the oppertunity.

then some nice slr images

[Edited on 4/3/2012 by ashg]

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

jacko

posted on 4/3/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i must say in the past i was quite happy with the images from my compacts but since getting into slr i now think they are devils work for taking proper pictures. they still have a place for nightclubs and happy snaps where an slr just isnt practical but in reality just cant cut it if you want pictures your proud enough to print off and keep.

good example of happy snaps where i couldn't have used r didn't have my slr

from my panasonic compact camera

from my phone when i had no camera on me but couldnt miss the oppertunity.

then some nice slr images

Is this photo on the Humber bridge ? i dont live far from it
Jacko

ashg

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
yes it is indeed. taken last year on the skcc uk wide road trip.

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Andy D

posted on 5/3/12 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I started with a Praktica MTL5 years ago.. moved on to a Pentax P30.. still got it, worth not a lot now I suspect.

Anyway, slightly o/t. I had few Tamron lens' for the Pentax, and having recently got a Nikon D5000 at Christmas, I thought I'd get a Nikon mount for the Tamron 300mm. Fair enough there'd be no auto focus, or even aperture control, but I thought I'd be able to use it manually.
Focus is not a problem, and I can manually select an aperture and shutter speed, but unless I'm missing something, there's absolutely to way of light metering with this set up.

First time I used it, I just took a couple of shots, judged the brightness on the screen.. and ajusted shutter or aperture to suit.

When I got home and transferred the images to the PC, they were all on the dark side.

A bit of tweaking on photoshop got them semi acceptable? see eg below.

Could any Nikon bods out there let me know if I'm missing something re the light metering on a D5000.

Macbeast

posted on 5/3/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I like my vest-pocket digital camera and I use it most days. I'm happy with the quality but the big beef is it's no good for candid shots or sport pics. You press the button and several hours later it condescends to take the shot.

Is there a compact £100 digital camera that takes instant shots ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

ashg

posted on 5/3/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
my panasonic tz3 will. it even has a burst mode to take several pictures in a second (cant remember how many) they can easily be picked up for less than £100 second hand

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Digital Camera in Black | eBay

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Macbeast

posted on 5/3/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
That looks rather good
Thank you.

Ah - spec quotes shutter lag as 0.4 secs

[Edited on 5/3/12 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.