Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a netbook upto £250
cjwood23

posted on 5/3/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a netbook upto £250

Looking to replace my old Toshiba laptop soon as its getting a bit past it and it's quite big!
Already have a decent'ish desktop for home use but looking for something portable.

Don't want to spend a massive amount (no more than £250) as it'll probably wont be used for running anything too fancy - mainly photo editing, iTunes and some word/excel stuff.

Ideal it'll have a webcam and possibly 3G for Skype but I have a vodafone dongle I could use so no issue - just looks neater without the dongle.

Will also need to get an external DVD writer but have seen those for £30.

Looked at the ASUS/Samsung ones in Currys/PC World but am a bit confused with the comparison between the Intel Atom and the AMD dual core processors.

Cheers

Chris

samjc

posted on 5/3/12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Msi wind in argos are £179
great kit ive not been told of trouble with them the newer ones have hdd2

Oddified

posted on 5/3/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bought the Asus from pc world a few weeks ago, can't fault it. Runs everything i want and the battery run time is very very good.

The only thing to note with new mini lap tops/netbooks is most come with windows 7 starter, which has several usefull bits missing so like me you'll probably also need the upgrade to windows 7 home.

Ian

cjwood23

posted on 5/3/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
Bought the Asus from pc world a few weeks ago, can't fault it. Runs everything i want and the battery run time is very very good.

The only thing to note with new mini lap tops/netbooks is most come with windows 7 starter, which has several usefull bits missing so like me you'll probably also need the upgrade to windows 7 home.

Ian

Cheers for the reply - which one did you get?

Chris

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/12 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Acer
E machines
Asus

all much of a muchness just select based on memory and battery size.

The HP is of course very good but the keyboard isn't to everyone's taste.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ian

Even better just stick Mint Linux on it as dual boot it runs very well on Atom processor Netbooks. even with only 1mb memory.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

contaminated

posted on 5/3/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
There's not much difference in any of them to be honest. I bought a Samsung one in PC World at Christmas and it seems fine.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Andybarbet

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ive bought 2 in the last 6 months from currys_pcworld on ebay, they are customer returns that are 'refurbished' paid £125 each for them including delivery. They also give you a 3 month warranty.

Both 10" Advent Milano's - does me for net surfing, bits & bobs, i too have a desktop thats better but find i dont really use it anymore.

Its a bit hit or miss as to what they have in stock but it might be worth a look - Ive had no problems with them & my 12 year old abuses his one !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Laptops-Netbooks-/177/i.html?_catref=1&_ipg=&_ssn=currys_pcworld&_trksid=p3911.c0.m1538

It was the only way i could afford to buy 2 netbooks but am really pleased with them.

Good luck

Oddified

posted on 6/3/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cjwood23
quote:

Ian

Cheers for the reply - which one did you get?

I got the Asus 1015bx, but as others have posted, there's loads of makes/models which are all similar. I went for that one because it looks good, does everything i wanted and the keyboard was the nicest to use (just my opinion of course!).

Ian

cjwood23

posted on 9/3/12 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments guys.
Will see which one I prefer this weekend.

Thanks again.

Chris

cjwood23

posted on 12/3/12 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I got the Asus 1015bx, but as others have posted, there's loads of makes/models which are all similar. I went for that one because it looks good, does everything i wanted and the keyboard was the nicest to use (just my opinion of course!).

Ian

Hi Ian,
Doe this one have 3 USB's and Bluetooth?
Spec on Currys website and Asus websites don't tie up.

Cheers

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.