Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Silencer
Chris_R

posted on 24/8/04 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Silencer

Has anyone made one? I'm thinking of making a straight through back box using wire wool to deaden the sound. Don't want it to be too quiet though. Any tips?

It's not for the locost, it's for my Cav.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 24/8/04 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
dont use wire wool, it burns, you can get exhaust waddind it is pretty much the same as loft insulation.
Tim

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
type 907

posted on 24/8/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Back box

I'v got a half made back box in my garage
for an alfa cloverleaf.
I put a straight through pipe on so he could still use the car
while I made the box. He came back the next night and said,
" forget the box, I'll keep the pipe, sounds gorgeous".

Paul G

Too much is just enough

DaveFJ

posted on 25/8/04 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I'll vouch for Paul G's silencers........

When I visited he was in the middle of making a pair for an Aston martin IIRC.... and damn fine they looked too !

Cheers

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

craig1410

posted on 25/8/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,
Make sure you use stainless steel wool around the perforated tube and then some form of loft insulation/rockwool material around that. Also, make sure you pack it in really really tightly.

I didn't actually do this myself because by the time I priced the various materials required I was able to buy a ready made silencer more cheaply, even from Demon Tweaks... £57 each for a 5" outer diameter, 625mm long, 3" centre bore straight through glass-pack. It's not stainless but I didn't want stainlessa anyway.

Cheers,
Craig.

Chris_R

posted on 25/8/04 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thought about just replacing the box with a pipe. Is it legal?

blueshift

posted on 25/8/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
There's a sound level test for SVA, and I think in theory you can be pulled for having a noisy exhaust fitted post-sva.
Peteff

posted on 25/8/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
It's legal as long as it's not replacing a catastrophic converter and doesn't make too much noise. I don't think they SVA Cavaliers Blueshift.

[Edited on 25/8/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ned

posted on 26/8/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
use the insulation type material, but dn't pack it too tight as it can be noisier! You want the material to absord noise, not let it bounce around/echo in there..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Chris_R

posted on 26/8/04 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, thanks for the info. For me louder is better so will give it a go and see what happens.

craig1410

posted on 26/8/04 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,
I was going by what "Simon" said, if you'll pardon the pun. He made up some exhaust silencers for his Rover V8 and realised later that he hadn't packed the cans tightly enough and had to get more wadding. I did a lot of research when considering making my own silencers and a recurring theme was to make sure they were packed tightly and to use stainless steel wool around the perf tube.

Cheers,
Craig.

jmbillings

posted on 27/8/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
we made one, used to buzz at a certain rpm but worked ok. We've recently replaced it with an MK one, and it sounds *so* much nicer tho!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.