Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec with MX5 box?
PSpirine

posted on 11/3/12 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec with MX5 box?

I did some searching but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Will all Z-series Mazda engines and Duratec 4-pots bolt up to a Mazda Mx-5 gearbox? If so, what years of MX5 do I need to be looking at?

rusty nuts

posted on 11/3/12 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I know that the later MX5s use a box that will fit as they use a Duratec, it may be a 6speed box? As for fitting an earlier box I can't help
Furyous

posted on 11/3/12 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
You'll want a gear box from a Mk3 MX5, late 2006 onwards. The 5 speed code is N7, but I don't know if the 6 speed has a different code. I'm pretty sure the Mk2 MX5s did not have MZR/Duratec engines.

The gear ratios for the 5 speed as far as I could find are:

1 - 3.71
2 - 2.19
3 - 1.54
4 - 1.18
5 - 1.00

The six speed is the same but with an extra gear. I don't know the ratio off hand.

Apparently the 6 speed is a fair bit bigger and the 5 speed is pretty tight in my Fury's transmission tunnel as it is. I've had to chop a few mounting brackets off the gear box to make it fit comfortably.

Poorscousertommy

posted on 11/3/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I have the same combo - N7 and Duratec will mate, however I understand that you will need a few of the Mazda mating parts. Don't know the definitive list but MKIndy7 on here is on his second install and has a thread detailing the install.

Another consideration is that the box causes the engine to lean over by 10deg, so you will need a modified sump.

I believe it's a great combination with a fantastic gear change action, however any bellhousing savings are cancelled by the above..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.