Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Busa: gear indicator
yellowcab

posted on 12/3/12 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Busa: gear indicator

Im aware of GIpro, Geartronics and Acumen, all coming in at well over £90-£100...

My question is, has anyone successfully installed one of the eBay specials that sell for £13?

If so, is it reletively easy to wire in to the busa loom?

blakep82

posted on 13/3/12 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
loads of accumen ones on ebay for £65... with the tech support, instructions, warranties, etc that you'll get for a branded one, got to be worth the extra over the £13 ones from china surely?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

yellowcab

posted on 13/3/12 at 04:28 AM Reply With Quote
Good shout!

Can would you think I have I buy one for a hayabusa specifically, or just any? (thinking wiring/ plug & play)

yellowcab

posted on 13/3/12 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
I can only find £109.99 & £112.99 plus £6 postage for a Hayabusa one

blakep82

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Acumen's Gear Indicator DG8 - Red display | eBay

seems you're paying that much extra for a plug and play loom, never fitted one myself, but i can't imagine its that hard!
think it needs the wheel speed from the speedo sensor, assuming the hyabusa has electronic speedo, and a tachometer input, and it works out the gear from the difference between the two signals i think

Datatool DIGI Digital Motorcycle Gear Indicator - Aids Performance & Economy | eBay

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 13/3/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Can't really comment on the Geartronics indicator as they're relatively new to the market but can on the GIpro, Acumen & Datatool. Unless the Acumen/Datatool gear indicator has changed radically during the last few years, you will be disappointed with its performance. The Acumen/Datatool gear indicator compare RPM to speed and attempts to work out the gear you are in. In my experience, this makes them consistently slow, inaccurate and unreliable. Both the Acumen and Datatool gear indicators were designed by the same person BTW.

The GIpro however, reads directly from the gear position sensor on your engine and as such will give you accurate and instant readings each time, every time.

If it was my money, I'd go for the GIpro..........

Phil

nickw2000

posted on 13/3/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a cheap Ebay one. Works great asking as you have someware to mount sensors along the shift linkage. It displays instantly on a gear change too rather than a delayed reaction, also has a dim sensor for night
richard thomas

posted on 13/3/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Geartronics fitted, piece of cake to fit - plugs into gearbox sensor iirc, totally reliable, built in TRE also....

Can't remember what I paid for it, it was a couple of years ago now....not sure if they sell the same model nowadays?

yellowcab

posted on 13/3/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of your replies and experiences - its nice to read different peoples views.

I have made a 'Best Offer' on an Acumen one now, but I hope they decline my offer, as I would much prefer to go for a GI-Pro, or the eBay special by the sounds of it )

Thanks once again, will let you know how I get on )

Slimy38

posted on 13/3/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure this will help as it was something that I was going to do on my bike that isn't a Hayabusa, but it might give you some ideas.

When I was stripping my bike to replace the gearbox, I had a look at the gear selector barrel, and in particular the neutral indicator. The neutral selector worked by having a pin on the selector barrel, this interacted with a plate on the side of the engine and when it was in a certain position it illuminated the neutral light.

Things is, this plate was a moulded plastic fitting that screwed on to the side of the engine, with another metal pin embedded in it at the right position. So I was thinking what would be the problem with simply drilling six holes in the relevant places, and fixing more metal pins in place to pick up where the selector barrel was. A bit of wiring and some light and I'd be sorted.

A while later, it turned out that a company makes indicators exactly like that, they're called LEDgear. www.ledgear.co.uk appears to be offline now, but it went to prove that I was on the right track!

Here's a GS1000 one off Ebay that has a picture of what it would look like;

79 SUZUKI GS1000 L NEUTRAL GEAR INDICATOR SWITCH | eBay

Proby

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a cheapo jobbie half fitted at the moment. I also fitted an eBay special to my westfield and that worked a treat too. Instant response when changing gear unlike the speed/revs linked versions. Fitting switches can be tricky, but once setup it works great.
yellowcab

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mind a bit of wiring jiggery pokery )

Which eBay special did you opt for? got a linky?

nickw2000

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
i brought this, they also do a blue version.

as mentioned above, fitting sensors to make sure they are right fitted and working can take some time

Red Universal Motorcycle Bike Digital Gear Indicator UK | eBay

Proby

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
The one I've got half fitted is the same as the one in the link nick posted above.
yellowcab

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
My chavvy side of me wants blue, lol... But I'm gonna stick with red lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.