Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wiring the starter and alternator and battery
loughlin1

posted on 20/3/12 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
wiring the starter and alternator and battery

Hi All
Im lost
going to wire the barrery to the starter and then the alternator but do not know what wires go where I THINK I run a LARGE cable to the starter and then run a cable from the starter to the alternator but if someone could tell me step by step that would be great I have a 2lt pinto engine with a lucas alternator

big-vee-twin

posted on 21/3/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Large wire from battery positive to solenoid terminal on starter motor.

Smaller cable from same terminal on starter to alternator output (4mm if the alt is a 40amp one) this is for charging battery.

Cable feeding loom through a 40 amp fuse to same terminal on alternator or on battery positive.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

snowy2

posted on 21/3/12 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Same as me. it really could not be easier.....
large wire from bat to starter (pre-engage type)
Thick but no where as big (50A capacity) from same connection on starter to EITHER large terminal on alternator. the small connection connects to ign. bulb on dash and it to your ign. sw.
i have in various places on this forum an article on wiring your car, read it. Perhaps the site admin can pin it for easy reference.
if something as simple as this has caused you problems i strongly advise you to get your cars electrics checked over by some one competent. before your car goes on the road.

[Edited on 21/3/12 by snowy2]

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.