Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indicators and lgeneral switch advice.
deep blue

posted on 22/3/12 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Indicators and lgeneral switch advice.

I want to simplify the electrical switch gear on a trials car, and would appreciate any advice you can offer.
Can i legally dispose of the steering column indicator switch and fit a center dash tractor style indicator switch ditto the dip and beam headlight hazard etc. I do not want to go to all the trouble of changing everything and then being failed at MOT. . any advice please.

russbost

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, you can. Providing all the lights work etc. it doesn't really matter how they are controlled for MoT (different story for IVA), I don't think there is even any requirement for switches etc. to be identified, but perhaps one of the testers on here who are current could confirm?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
wilkingj

posted on 22/3/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
+1

However, I would add a buzzer to the indicators, as you will always be forgetting to cancel them with a dash mounted non cancelling switch.
This could lead to an accident that could be seen to be your fault.

It will be a bit annoying, but better then than having an accident as someone pulls out in front of you as you are indictating to turn and then dont!
Just my 2 D's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 22/3/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Self-timer indicator switch as fitted on some 1950s cars such as the MG TD & TF
The nearest moder equivalent is http://www.completeautomobilist.com/products/414-mechanical-flasher-unit

[Edited on 22/3/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RickRick

posted on 22/3/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
i've got 2 switches on the back of my paddles, one a momenty 2 way toggle on the left for my indicators, can be a bit tricky holding it on for some turns but mostly its fine, and once you've started turning there's not much point in continuing to indicate, the other side has a latching toggle switch to activate a changeover relay for dipped to main
deep blue

posted on 23/3/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the replies, i want to simplify everything and assemble everything to aid fast simple maintenance and less reliability issues.. Reliability is everything to me.
Davegtst

posted on 23/3/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an on/off/on toggle switch just behind the gear lever. Everything is on toggle switches, can't stand using old parts on a virtually new car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.