Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: irs chassis
andybuff

posted on 3/3/02 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
irs chassis

could anybody send me drawings of an irs set up using sierra diff. like mk indy and locost limited chassis
Metal Hippy™

posted on 3/3/02 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of drawing?

Hand sketch, AutoCAD, Pro Engineer?

Maybe the photo section might be of some use?

Rich.

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

rac

posted on 15/2/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would like a set in AutoCAD if anyone can oblige please, for a setup with wishbones - not the standard Sierra training arms though.
Second to that then a dimensioned hand sketch would do, as long as the figures are right! I'll redraw it (them) and feed them back to others.

James

posted on 17/2/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andybuff
could anybody send me drawings of an irs set up using sierra diff. like mk indy and locost limited chassis

As far as I know they don't really exist- or atleast no-ones admitting to having done any yet!
Have a look at the small picture in The Book in the fuel tank section, it has an IRS picture there. Combine that with the available pictures of MK, ST etc. and home build stuff and it's really pretty easy to come up with something!

Good Luck!

James

kingr

posted on 17/2/03 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Don't hold your breath, but I'm currently learning solid edge while creating a rather tasty 3d model of the book chassis front with a tiger (IRS) rear end, which is, coincidentaly enough, what is sitting in my garage in a halfway state of completion. So, if and when I complete them, rest assured I'll post them on here. I've already modeled the rear wishbones if you're interested. They have been adjusted to result in the same mounting dimensions but using lolocost wishbone tubes, bushes and crush tubes, all of which have been seperated modeled and assembled. The coilovers could be particularly fun !!

Kingr

Findlay234

posted on 17/2/03 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
i have two different autoCAD drawings of IRS rears.......

kingr, youre using solid edge? we use that at work. you have it at work or at home? its pretty effin good isnt it. we got some luverly workstations here that will let us model our assemblies, with over 5000 seperate parts. thats over 5000 seperate 3D objects for those of you who dont use it....... also the space mouse makes the job a whole lot easier as well.

kingr

posted on 17/2/03 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Space mouse? 5000 parts, that's one mammoth assembly, what are you using SGI hardware or what? Can't think any i386 platform is going to cope very well with that. I've got it at home, errrmmm, on trial as such, possibly, although I think I deleted it, or something.

Kingr

Findlay234

posted on 18/2/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
well the dongle at the back is the licence. so if youve got that and your companys agreement ur not breaking the law..... supposedly.

the space mouse is not a mouse as such but a small and very sensitive joystick that manipulates the model through the 3D space. so you control the model with your left hand and draw with your right (using the normal mouse)

PerspexIt

posted on 19/2/03 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All!

i was designing something like that using turbocad, i have solidedge, too difficult!
I designed a mix between the McSorley +4 and the Tiger's IRS.
Mine was just a "test".. anybody have a clear idea if the suspension geometry will work well (or just decently) in the reality?

-P

jcduroc

posted on 26/2/03 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PerspexIt
i was designing something like that using turbocad, i have solidedge, too difficult!
I designed a mix between the McSorley +4 and the Tiger's IRS.
Mine was just a "test".. anybody have a clear idea if the suspension geometry will work well (or just decently) in the reality?

I'm (re)designing a complete chassis for:
- IRS double-wishbone w/ Sierra 7" diff and half-shafts;
- IFS w/ Cortina Mk3 spindles7/hubs/discs

It all shall be hand-draft and scanned to .gif/.jpg; I can't use CAD or Solid Edge or whatever...

If the spirit is sharing why doesn't everyone makes their own designs in the most common way? I shall as soon as I'll have them.

Joćo

kingr

posted on 27/2/03 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Joao -

If by "in the common way" you mean putting it in the public domain, then that is what I have every intention of doing. However, the question of law does come up a little bit and I wouldn't want to take money from either of the authors of the books. There are a few things that make me feel more justified in publishing the plans if I ever finish though. Firstly, it's not a new design and any designer that tries to tell you that they thought it all up from new is talking crap, Ron champion took his cues from Wastefield, MK took his from Ron Champion, and SPD took theirs from MK (more than just a little). Secondly, I am actually adding value to the designs, not just copying them wholesale. Thirdly, RCs design has errors and Tigers is absolutely ridden with them, it was bad enough using their plans for just the rear, I shudder to think what it must be like using them for the front. Finally, people don't just buy the books for the plans, both contain a large ammount of useful information. Don't underestimate the tiger book, while it is less comprehesive than RCs (I wouldn't want to build a car using only them) they make an excellent suplement to RCs book, and are more up to date (version 3 of BYOSC not having yet appeared).

Kingr

James

posted on 27/2/03 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If the spirit is sharing why doesn't everyone makes their own designs in the most common way? I shall as soon as I'll have them.
Joćo

I've designed (and now built) my own IRS system and I'm in no way selfish about others using it but I'm a little concerned about publishing it for a couple of reasons:

1. Firstly (and I guess most importantly) if someone uses it and for some reason dies or is seriously hurt because of it not only would I feel terrible** but I might get sued or something! (ok, I know I can use disclaimers and stuff but even so).

2. Secondly, it may be a blindingly obviously poor design to everyone but me and I don't wish to publicly be flamed or humiliated (any more than I usually am anyway! ).

Cheers,
James

** For atleast a couple of hours!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.