Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12 coolant pipework q's
Moorron

posted on 24/3/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12 coolant pipework q's

Hi guys me again, im still having temp issues with my A1 ZX12 Indy, my issue is in slow traffic or at a stop the engine temp rises and the fan comes on but never turns off.

Im seeing 115 degrees on my temp gauge and it only drops down to 95 when i get moving above 40 mph. I spend the last few weeks remaking my cooland pipework but im still unsure if im reading the bikes original setup correctly.

The issue is the bikes water/oil cooler pipework, seems sinple but i dont know which way the water is running thru it so cant check my connection ponts. First time around i had a 'T' from the bottom rad-pump hose that run into the oil cooler pipe on the side of the engine and then just left the bikes pipework which went from the oil cooler to the connection on the block just after the water pump. This is how the service manual shows the route but instead of it comming from the 't' piece it would be from the bottom of the radiator on the bikes original unit.

After speaking to a friend he told me he couldnt see how the water was moving from the bottom rad hose thru the oil cooler in that dirrection, as the pressure and flow is greater on the 'after pump' side. He told me to take the 't' and stick it into the top rad hose but ive done this and my fan still stays on.

What i need to know is which way does your oil cooler pipework run on your ZX12 installation, with pictures if possible so i can make sure mine is the same before i start looking at other things.

cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

minitici

posted on 24/3/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think your original piping was correct.
Feed for the oil cooler should come from the cold side of the radiator (i.e. bottom hose).
zx12r cooling
zx12r cooling

Perhaps you need an electric pump to assist at low revs and to avoid heat soak when stopping.

Hellfire

posted on 25/3/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
We have a tee piece in the bottom pipework which feeds the oil cooler as per your original setup. Do you have any vents in the bonnet to allow hot air to escape in standing traffic? The size of mesh in your nosecone (assuming you have some fitted) could also be restricting airflow.......

Phil

Moorron

posted on 25/3/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
looks like i got it right the first time around so ive making more pipework today. I just could see how water is moving that way when the pump is pushing it the other (at the block connection).

Hellfire, it was fine with my other ZX12 engine so i dont see why it could be those, i do have large vents at the rear sides of the bonnet and the fan seems to be doing it job of moving hot air thru the rad. But with the bonnet off the fan switches on and never off.

The car works fine over 30mph, and i do see the temp needle move when i blip the throttle at idle so think its coolant flow or lack of at low rpm.

I could swap the water pumps from the old engine to the new one but every time i rmove something off either engine i end up spending days trying to drill out the snapped bolts so really only want to do this as a last resort.

I really need to get my hands on a set of ZX12 clocks to see what the bike would be showing, has any one got an old set or a spare one i could lend? its the temp gauge i need working only.

cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

speedygonzales

posted on 27/3/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you're saying the setup worked with your old lump, then I don't see why it should be any different with the new one - unless the cooling circuit is so much more restrictive on your new engine?

If you want to measure the coolant temperature, why not just stick on some coolant temp tabs around your cooling system. You'll get a really good idea where the hot spots are. If you've got metal coolant pipes it will work well as they are good thermal conductors (and the water temperature won't be that different). Even on rubber hose it will give you some idea.

At least you'll identify where the problem is. You can also tell which way the flow will be as the temp tabs should heat up quicker on one side.

I think a bigger rad and/or an electric pump would be the things to go for if you want a quick & easy solution.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.