Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk R1 Clunky Gears Help?
jakeob

posted on 29/3/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mk R1 Clunky Gears Help?

Just arrived home in my first Kit car ,, Orange MK R1 Advertised on here.

Problem is the gear change is too clunky, not just into first but all the gears up and down again. Aslo i have noticed it wont always move up the gears with out pressing the clutch.

It realy is a horrible heavey clunk, i called MK who said it sounds like the diff needs fettling, they can do it for a couple hundred quid. Also called AB motorsport who said i needed one of his fancy rubberiesd propshafts.

It does sound like its comming from the Diff, not sure what to do first, maybe take of the diff myself and get it checked localy as i dont fancy i ride to MK in the state its in,,

Any ideas whould be appreciated

Hellfire

posted on 29/3/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
No offence but if you're new to driving BECs, they can be a bit clunky through the gears if not driven correctly. It could also be a fault with some part of the drivetrain but it's difficult to know without listening to it or driving it. Why not try and find someone local to you who also has a BEC and take a passenger ride in each others cars to compare the experience.

Phil

A1

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
its hard to diagnose without seeing the car and experiencing, in my experience of r1s they take a few revs and a wee blip for the first three gears going up... its hard to do clutchless ups smoothly when youre not gunning it, if i were you id use the clutch for all changes till you get to know the engine.
try using about 7k revs, clutch and just a quick blip and you should find it much smoother.

where are you based?

[Edited on 29/3/12 by A1]

jacko

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Iv been out in this car [ not driven by its last owner ] and it was just like any other bike engine car i have been in clunky into first then ok it has / had paddle gear change so dose it need adjusting ?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perksy

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps somebody near you with a bec can have a sit in it and have a listen ?

*Might* just be that your not used to it and comparing it to a normal road car
gear selection ?

adithorp

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
As it's your first kit, I assume it's the first time you've driven a BEC. It'll take a while untill you get the timing right, with the speed of the shift and unloading the transmission, on the changes and untill then it'll feel clunky. Clutchless up-shifts are easier when driving hard: Getting them right on light load can be tricky and often people don't try. Give it a chance and you'll soon get it.

If you add your rough location to your profile it'll help find local advice.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
If there's no TRT or cush in the propshaft line, then it'll 'clunk' a tad. If there's a reverse geabox in the driveline (i.e Westfield Tunnel Lubricator), then it'll clunk even more. Add all this together with a worn diff and some backlash, and you're in a whole world of clunk.
If that's not enough, when the various flanges work loose, you'll get a nice rattle and grate to go with it. If you've got a centre bearing that's not happy, then it'll vibrate nicely too.

Whines (apart from those eminating from the wife), will be hard to locate. A diff. while will resonate nicely up the propshaft, it's like a wheelbearing, hard to find the source of the noise.

Most noises can be eliminated simply by using the engine like you would on a bike. R1's don't have much torque, so just keep it all above 10K and all will be well. Rattles and whines will simply disappear.

I *have* a wrecked R1 gearbox, sitting here next to me. I can assure you that any fault with the gearbox/engine won't linger, it normally destroys the engine fairly quickly. I've just bought the two layshafts/gears/drum that were on Ebay until about an hour ago, hoping they're OK....

If you're around Link Onshire then I'm happy to check your car out in the sunshine, all for a beer.

mark.s

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
put the clunky gearbox to one side for a minute ...how you getting on with a BEC?
Smigga

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Funny I've just registered to see what advice there was on clunky Megablade boxes! Mine clunks 1st and 2nd mostly, I have Westy reverse too which whines and grumbles, the clunks do my head in, but as an ex biker I knew about them, if someone said give us ex-amount and it'll be silky smooth, I'd pay it, but no-one seems to offer one solution as has been explained already. Ask any biker especially a Honda enthusiast and they will tell you to accept and get on with it.
Mines done 13k in the car so maybe 20k of hard miles, I'd imagine wear and tear to happen.
I'm getting a lot better with my changes and sometimes they're seamless, but 1st pull away is always a bit shakey, I'm thinking do I just enjoy it till it blows up? Try a new clutch, look for a younger lump? None of these may get things silky anyway? It just annoys when you have a few slick changes and then CLUNK again....
I would stick with for a while though Bud before you let it annoy you too much, once mines singing you just hold on tight and grin!

Smigga
Btw if your near the NW I'm happy to meet up and compare....

Davg

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------

jakeob

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the speedy replies

I am based in Warrington nr liverpool. I understand its a Bec and there a bit raw, but the clunking was the same when the Seller was driving, i was expecting it to clunk in to 1st but was surprised at how heavey it was,, then it did it in all the gears up and down.

Thers no reverse on this one

jakeob

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fancy a swap dave?
Smigga

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hey,hey I was blasting down the A57 about 2 hours ago! Well meet up if you like, but NO I dont want to swap, mines special lol!
I'm just up the road m8, I'm having an op on my shoulder in the morning, pm us your mob if you like an ill text you soon as I'm fit I'll take you for a blast, you know the guys at MB Tech atall? They are pretty poo hot with anything fast, they used to look after my M3, I'm sure the owner had an MK Busa, he'd have a look for sure, gona ask them for a price on an uprated clutch on mine...

Dave

Smigga

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Is it black and orange by any chance?

Dave

jakeob

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Dave,, Dont tell me all the orange ones do it
jakeob

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Smigga, just sent u2u
Smigga

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
You guessed it! Thought that was not road registered just for track? If its the local car I saw. Couple of weeks back, low miles £6kish?

Dave

afj

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Its an easy fix.......

ear plugs and a helmet mines got the right backlash in the diff a good gearbox a trt propshaft from bailey morris and it still does it. i think on a bike the sound is the same but is absorbed thru the chain and much softer cush drive and is not amplified thru the transmission tunnel which is 2 inches from your butt

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Smigga

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by afj
Its an easy fix.......

ear plugs and a helmet mines got the right backlash in the diff a good gearbox a trt propshaft from bailey morris and it still does it. i think on a bike the sound is the same but is absorbed thru the chain and much softer cush drive and is not amplified thru the transmission tunnel which is 2 inches from your butt

I'm sure your right! Not the same through a biker boot and your 5 ft away with a lid on, try riding a bike in soft trainers and the box gets a bit clunkier!
Would love to smooth mine out but it is what it is, and it goes better than most £70k tintops upto a ton and all for the price of second hand fiesta!

Dave

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Errrr.... no, having a chain isn't any 'better' as regards the noise. The chains flap around, there is no cush in the drive, again it's a whole world of mechanical noise.
Difference with a Westerlomkcaterfield is that noise is distributed over the whole car, the only time my front engined bricks were unacceptably rowdy was with the bonnet off.

My current Midi is in a different league, the induction is only inches away from my bleeding ears. Ouuuchh...

Anyway, if all the BEC thing gets too much, there's probably a nice Megane down the dealers for a PX.

Smigga

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem[/

Anyway, if all the BEC thing gets too much, there's probably a nice Megane down the dealers for a PX.

Nah the wife's had 2, I'll cope with my noises, at least you know why your fuel keeps disappearing fast!

Dave

daviep

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Errrr.... no, having a chain isn't any 'better' as regards the noise. The chains flap around, there is no cush in the drive,

Errrr.... yes there is a cush drive on nearly every bike I've ever seen, it's between the rear sprocket and the rear wheel.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

jakeob

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well before i spend any money on it , i am going to drive it up to MK tomorrow morning and get them to have a look,

If it turns out that that its down to earplugs and helemt, it will be up for sale again.. Although i would be totally amazed this is how it should be

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/3/12 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jakeob
Well before i spend any money on it , i am going to drive it up to MK tomorrow morning and get them to have a look,

If it turns out that that its down to earplugs and helemt, it will be up for sale again.. Although i would be totally amazed this is how it should be

That will take DONUTS record away for quickest to be put up for sale

Hellfire

posted on 30/3/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
If it really is an issue and that bad, a TRT (Torque Resilient Tube) propshaft will reduce the clunking massively and the more you drive it, the better you'll understand it and be able to prevent it. Unfortunately, it will never disappear totally due to the nature of straight cut gearboxes.

Give it time and you will be able to live with it..........

Phil

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.