Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk R1 Clunky Gears Help?
jakeob

posted on 30/3/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
If i end up buying a TRT any ideas whos a good supplier? Ab motors quoted me £380+vat is that about right?
jacko

posted on 30/3/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Have you any photos of said car ? please
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davg

posted on 30/3/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jakeob
If i end up buying a TRT any ideas whos a good supplier? Ab motors quoted me £380+vat is that about right?

Dunning & fairbanks or Baileymorris will sort you out with prop requirements.

Get the car checked out for probs first before diving in, also consider whether you want fit a reverse box at any point as again props required different again. You don't wanna make another boo boo

Cheers D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

jakeob

posted on 30/3/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
yes Jacko,

There in the photos of the last owner (martynrich67 )

afj

posted on 30/3/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Errrr.... no, having a chain isn't any 'better' as regards the noise. The chains flap around, there is no cush in the drive,

Errrr.... yes there is a cush drive on nearly every bike I've ever seen, it's between the rear sprocket and the rear wheel.

Cheers
Davie

As I said the Cush on the bike is very soft compared to a trt prop which is still almost solid

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jacko

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
yes Jacko,

There in the photos of the last owner (martynrich67 )

It will be this one then before Marty bought it
Description
Description

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Errr.... Sorry I wasn't too clear, but just to put some detail on it, there is no rubber cush on the chain drive (well, a simple drive at least). Bikes do, but not in the car application.
My car has the chain wrapped around a 48T sprocket bolted straight to a Fiesta plate differential, there's nothing in the transmission line (bar a few tripode joints). Every gearchange goes straight through the chain, which really lets you know about it.

My comment was just that all BECs that I've built/raced with many engines and configs aren't entirely noise free! I was simply encouraging the newbie owner to use the pedal on the right to smooth it all out a bit.

koiking125

posted on 31/3/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see you at MK this morning Jakeob. Hope they managed to sort the problem and you got home safe.

Kev

[Edited on 31/3/12 by koiking125]

[Edited on 31/3/12 by koiking125]

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

jakeob

posted on 31/3/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Alright Kev,

Just got home ,, but on the train(

After servicing the Diff turns out its not that, At least i know its not me and theres a definate loud clunk that should not be there bec or not

There gona try a different prop on Monday ,, then if not that must be the box(((

koiking125

posted on 31/3/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, that's not good mate, let's hope it's not the box. Do you live far from MK? Hope they get it sorted for you quickly.

Kev

jakeob

posted on 5/4/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thought i would give an update on my repairs so far.

Took the car to MK who did a road test and confirmed there was a problem"Terrible LOud Clunky noise" not normal at all.

Ok they took off the Diff , opened it found it to be in rarther good condition, made some slight adjustmets and refited to the car, This made NO difference to the fault.

Then they swapped the Diff with one they had lying about also siad they had replaced the propshaft centre mount /bush.

Called me on the phone said the cars sorted,,,, I picked the car up today and guess what still the same.!!!

So Now i know there is a fault, the Clunking is not the norm for a BEC ,,, but dont know what to do....

I am thinking about sending the Bl@@@dy thing to AB performance to see if they can sort it.

Any advice would be welcome

r1_pete

posted on 5/4/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Start with the gearbox output shaft to propshaft adapter, known to work loose.

Then take a look at the clutch, with there being no cush drive, it can accelerate bearing wear and wear in the cutch drum, look for grooves where the plates sit in the outer drum, which cause back and forth movement in the clutch an clunks as drive is taken up.

skippad

posted on 5/4/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds normal...
It's an aquired skill that can only be achieved by practice, which means driving as much as possible,.
It reminds me of golf...one day you can play perfect, the next day crap, it needs practice, practice, practice.
If you don't get any better at it...sell it

Smigga

posted on 5/4/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Next step, try mine, DON'T spend any more money, then a good mechanic that's good with bikes AND cars, if its just not for you...THEN Pistonheads....

Dave

jakeob

posted on 5/4/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
If it was down to my driving and lack of practice,, i would have expected the lads at MK have told me that,

As i have said they Danny And Gaz both confirmed its not a normal noise, and there is a fault. Problem is they cant find it

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/4/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look round your car when I was collecting my diffuser, a real great car you have bought there (apart from the clucking that is), top spec, hope you get it sorted
jakeob

posted on 5/4/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

Then take a look at the clutch, with there being no cush drive, it can accelerate bearing wear and wear in the cutch drum, look for grooves where the plates sit in the outer drum, which cause back and forth movement in the clutch an clunks as drive is taken up.

That sounds like a good move,, the output shaft can that be checked on the outside, hmmm might strip the clutch this weekend too

Thanks

jakeob

posted on 5/4/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dave ,,

Just say the word mate and we can meet up

Cheers

koiking125

posted on 5/4/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Jokeob, put your location in your profile, there might be more people than you think locally that could take a look.
Kev.

Smigga

posted on 5/4/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
My clutch seems to clear better sometimes better than others, wouldn't mind getting it replaced but when I get the revs right it's seamless, out with the kids tomorrow aim to be back for 5 could meet opposite Memphis Belle bout 6 on the little carpark? I'll text you around 5 anyway, weather permitting...

Dave

brookie

posted on 6/4/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
send it to andy he will sort it for u
SJL

posted on 6/4/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Have you confirmed it is fitted with a TRT prop. When my prop was made they didnt use TRT tube even though I specced it. It was off and replaced after about 500 miles. Was bloody horrible.

When friends drive my car I notice the clunking as they are not used to the light clutch,paddle shift,dog box etc.

Smigga

posted on 6/4/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Been in the OPs car today, really nice car and goes well, BUT big clunk under our elbows, feels like something lose around the prop/diff area on gear takeup, not his driving...An expert ear required...

Dave

ReMan

posted on 6/4/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

That sounds like a good move,, the output shaft can that be checked on the outside, hmmm might strip the clutch this weekend too

Thanks

Another known prblem, if you're pulling the cutch is the centre to work loose in the basket casting, this causes much drivetrain slop

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

jakeob

posted on 8/4/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well decided to have a look at the clutch

Drained the oil and removed the clutch case, and plates, its had a Barnett clutch fitted and all the clutch plates look like new.

I have noticed if i hold the clutch basket and pull backwards and and forwards the basket and the cog move about 2-3mm.

Also if i try to rotate the basket back and forth it moves maybe 4-6mm while the rear cog stays still.

Wondering if this is normal

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.