Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daughters Jet Air plane depressurises - hole in fuselage
Jasper

posted on 2/4/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Daughters Jet Air plane depressurises - hole in fuselage

So my daughter and her boyfriend are on a Jet Air plane to Thailand on Saturday night, 30 minutes into the flight, there is a loud noise, the cabin starts to depressurise and get cold, oxygen masks drop down, they have to drop altitude quickly and come back to Heathrow. Oh yes, and her oxygen mask didn't work..... There were people on the plane phoning and texting family and friends as they thought it was the end. She was a little shaken up to say the least.

The plane is knackered, so they have to stay in the local Premier Inn, no bags, no shops nearby, and no information to speak of. They finally get them on another plane last night.

So apart from claiming on their insurance for the usual delay, no bags etc etc, I would presume an incident like this would be serious enough to try to get some compensation out of the airline? Anybody had a similar experience?

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Ian Pearson

posted on 2/4/12 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
A sudden or slow decompression is not unheard of. Scary but not life threatening. Depending on what type of Oxygen system was fitted, the oxygen will only activate when the mask is positively pulled "DOWN". Many people talk or read throughout the safety demo and miss out on the life saving info. The fact that your daughter didn't pass out means the oxygen probably wasn't needed.

As for compensation, I doubt any would be due. Hope they are both okay. Sounds like large amounts of alcohol might've been needed!

owelly

posted on 2/4/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Compensation for what? They can claim for any losses they have incurred, including any lost days of the holiday, lost luggage, extra hotels, subsistence etc but what else do you think they can claim for?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 2/4/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Happened to me on an internal flight in the States in the mid 90's, best laxative known to man I'm sure, your mind is in turmoil for days re playing what could have happened, illogical but you do following such intense situations.

Good to hear they are OK and have gone off on holiday, best just put it out of their minds as soon as they can chalk it up to a life experience.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 2/4/12 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
They'll be compensated for the holiday disruption, but surely that's it. Why would they need compensation for a wee fright!?

It's Evolution Baby!

dhutch

posted on 2/4/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest, while I'm sure it wasn't much fun and I hope it never happens to me, I find this thread a little annoying at it appears to be of the tune of "They had a fright but are pretty much fine, its probably going to be sorted anyway, but how can we get the most out of the airline possible" rather than "They have been through hell, lost and lot and been left out of pocket for someone elses error, and been told there can have non of it back".

If for some reason as a paying customer you have lost a lot through someone elses error I can see how it could be reasonable to expect or seek some sort of compensation, but if something slightly random happens largely out of the providers control I don't see why you should expect or seek payment. Assuming they are planning to travel again, with the same airline or otherwise, where in the long term to they/you expect the money to come from! Car insurance gone up recently?

I'm not having a personal go, and i have written that in a bit of a hurry, but that's the brief window into my thoughts on these types of thread.

Daniel

blakep82

posted on 2/4/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
not a nice situation at, and glad they're ok, but thats just it, they're ok, no injury, no personal loss (assuming that the hole in the fuselage didn't mean their bags fell out) no loss of life, personally i think means theres no compensation due. except for loss of days holiday, which should be covered by travel insurance, and if the airline want to give a holiday voucher for the inconveniece, thats up to them, but i don't think theres any grounds for compensation tbh. not a fan of compensation claims. the compensation culture we're getting into is responsible for driving prices on everything up

i assume the airline covered the premier inn costs, not returning baggage isn't great, but i guess theres a lot of work to do like investigation and stuff, that they can't unload the plane for til they've got photos, evidence of stuff, checked there was no bomb, all that sort of thing.

can't find any info on this flight online? i usually comes up on the news when this kind of thing happens. that quantas flight that dropped 100ft or something the other month, my sister was on that, and that was all over the news that day

[Edited on 2/4/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hughpinder

posted on 2/4/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear they're ok.
Just out of interest, I went on an alarm management course a while ago and cabin depressurisation was one of the topics covered. Did you know you only get 3 minutes oxygen throught the mask? The reasoning being that the correct response is a fast dive to below the level where you dont officially need it. The crew however get 30 minutes, so top tip of the day - if you are at 30,000 ft and the plane hasn't dived after 2.9 minutes, mug one of the stewards/stewaresses!
Regards
Hugh

Jasper

posted on 2/4/12 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with not liking the 'compensation culture', I'm not talking about trying to sue for psychological damage or anything - but they have lost a day of their 'dream holiday' to Thailand which they have been saving for for months, and had the life scared out of them.

The airline were completely crap afterwards organising anything for them, keeping them informed - they were lucky to get on the flight the next night. The airline failed to tell them the news, they heard it from the guy at the front desk of the Premier Inn. They had no luggage, and no access to buy toiletries or spare underwear etc.

The kind of compensation I'm talking about would be a free flight or something like that, I think if I was on the plane and had been scared half to death that would be an unreasonable request. Same thing happened to a friend on a Quantas flight and they got a round the world ticket.

Macbeast

posted on 2/4/12 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
" Sorry a bit fell off our airplane and you had the poo scared out of you. also sorry the oxygen masks didn't work. Here's an open ticket - when would you like to fly with us again ? "

" well if you're going to take that attitude .......... "

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Ian Pearson

posted on 2/4/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Glad to hear they're ok.
Just out of interest, I went on an alarm management course a while ago and cabin depressurisation was one of the topics covered. Did you know you only get 3 minutes oxygen throught the mask? The reasoning being that the correct response is a fast dive to below the level where you dont officially need it. The crew however get 30 minutes, so top tip of the day - if you are at 30,000 ft and the plane hasn't dived after 2.9 minutes, mug one of the stewards/stewaresses!
Regards
Hugh

Your course was badly informed. Some aircraft have a central ring main supply that lasts hours, some have a chemically generated system that lasts for a minimum of 15 mins/22 mins. The crew have the same suppl,y as the passengers, but have a portable supply to enable them to move around the cabin to save the lives of those who have not managed to don a mask. It is not always possible to descend to an oxygen rich altitude and a 3 min supply of oxygen could be a killer.

Mugging the crew would result in a minimum of 2 years spent at HM's pleasure!!

In Jaspers defence, some seem to be having a dig at him. He's no scrounger and asks the same question most of us would in a similar situation. Incidents like these can be quite frightening, and I would imagine that some kind of gesture will be made by most airlines.

westf27

posted on 2/4/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just be glad shes alive and well.A mate of mine lost his son,no amount of money will change that or the way he feels every day.
As for compo....come on

PAUL FISHER

posted on 2/4/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^ As above, that would be my view
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/4/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm...

Head injury due to mask hitting you on the head? Burn injury because the take-off coffee was too hot? Trauma? Whiplash injury due to aircraft's rapid descent.

You should have at least 3 fully qualified 'trauma managers' to hand, perhaps 4 - grounds to get compensation if you don't have all four?

What else? - well, surely your relatives on the ground suffered trauma too? Get them to claim? Dunno.

Did your mask fail due to negligence by any party, was the mask non-operation due in any way to prejustice about your height, weight, religion, sexual orientation, or other things too politically sensitive to mention?

britishtrident

posted on 2/4/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Which airline ? won't be Quantas or BA most likely a south east Asia carrier --- my first guess would be Garuda .

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 2/4/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Which airline ? won't be Quantas or BA most likely a south east Asia carrier --- my first guess would be Garuda .

think Jet Air is an airline?

insurance should cover money for the day lost, she could contact them after they get back, saying they weren't impressed with the way the airline handled it, info, etc, oxygen mask didn't appear to work etc, but don't ask for anything, they might give some sort of holiday vouchers as good will gesture, and they probably will, but i wouldn't say shes actually due anything as such, but might like to be generous

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Jasper

posted on 2/4/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm quite surprise at some peoples views on here, maybe it's the old British 'Don't Complain' attitude.

I once spent 5 hours stuck under the channel in the tunnel on a train. We got 3 first class return trips out of them for that. Don't ask don't get!!

sdh2903

posted on 2/4/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Chemical oxy generators have a firing pin that requires a positive pull to fire the generator, its amazing how many people don't know it yet its explained everytime during the safety demo.

I'm an aircraft engineer by trade yet I still listen to the demo's on every flight as there are that many different aircraft types and exit configurations, it really pi$$es me off when you see people completely ignoring them, the info could save your life.

The depressurisation could have been caused by a hundred things so why should the airline pay compo? If it was a faulty valve supplied by the manufacturer shouldn't you be asking Boeing or Airbus for some compo? Come on, everyones ok, the hotel was covered, Airlines are struggling enough as it is without everyone becoming American and sueing everyone.

I doubt it was Garuda, Ive worked/flown with them several times and their customer service was first rate

flibble

posted on 2/4/12 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps you should send the pilot a few quid for keeping your daughter safe in an emergency situation I'd just be happy she was healthy and carry on living!
MikeRJ

posted on 2/4/12 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Well I'm quite surprise at some peoples views on here, maybe it's the old British 'Don't Complain' attitude.

Just a general hatred of the entire "compo" attitude I think (hope). You can complain without having a greedy hand held out.

Certainly your daughters lost holiday should be paid for (and travel insurance should cover this), but do you honestly believe compensation will help her forget her experience?

[Edited on 2/4/12 by MikeRJ]

T66

posted on 2/4/12 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Chemical oxy generators have a firing pin that requires a positive pull to fire the generator, its amazing how many people don't know it yet its explained everytime during the safety demo.

I'm an aircraft engineer by trade yet I still listen to the demo's on every flight as there are that many different aircraft types and exit configurations, it really pi$$es me off when you see people completely ignoring them, the info could save your life.

Excellent point !

I always have a good look round while shuffling toward my seat on an aircraft, knowing where everything is, when the thing fills with smoke and the lighting goes off will save your life.

You cannot rely on anyone around you to help when it all goes wrong.

scootz

posted on 2/4/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

Excellent point !

I always have a good look round while shuffling toward my seat on an aircraft, knowing where everything is, when the thing fills with smoke and the lighting goes off will save your life.

You cannot rely on anyone around you to help when it all goes wrong.

+2

I used to travel on planes regularly over a three year period and it never ceased to amaze me how many folk didn't pay ANY attention to the safety briefing.

It's Evolution Baby!

RK

posted on 2/4/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
that's because they are merely doing what the airline wants: get in tube get hammered get off at other end.itsperfectly safe
sdh2903

posted on 2/4/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
that's because they are merely doing what the airline wants: get in tube get hammered get off at other end.itsperfectly safe

No disrespect but that's bollocks, any cabin crew will tell you one of the worst parts of their jobs is dealing with drunks. Just recently one of our aircraft had to divert due to a drink yob kicking off, by the time the idiot had been ejected the crew had gone out of hours causing 200 plus hotel rooms and delayed flights etc. so I doubt the airline wants it.

RK

posted on 2/4/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
As someone who spent about 10 years flying for a living, I can tell you that it is in fact true. They don't like misbehaviour, and shouldn't, for safety reasons. But I am speaking from my own experiences as a pilot.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.