Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: connecting 4 wires into 1
shortie

posted on 27/8/04 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
connecting 4 wires into 1

Just wondered how people have done this, I have one feed from the ignition which splits to four at the fuse box so just wondered how people have connected the one wire into the four.

ta,
Rich.

mad4x4

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Solder joints and heatshrink for me

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

craig1410

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
The easiest way is just to use a crimp. Use the straight-through crimp if you know what I mean and just make sure you are using the correct size for the sum of the cross-sectional areas of the wires being crimped.

The red crimps can take wire from 0.5 to 1.5 sq.mm, the blue crimps are 1.5 to 2.5 sq.mm and the yellow crimps are for 3 sq.mm to 6 sq.mm. So if you just add up the area of the wires you are connecting to each side of the crimp then you can choose the correct sized crimp.

Given that you are doing 1 to 4, you may need to "cascade" a couple of crimp connectors to do a sort of 1 into 2 into 4 arrangement. Make sure that you don't neglect the need to use appropriately sized wire to carry the theoretical maximum sustained current for each part of the loom. You might want to use a 4mm wire split into two 2mm wires and then split again into 4 1mm wires for example.

Another alternative is that some fuse boxes incorporate a "bus-bar" where you can connect a single large positive feed and this is connected to several fuses by a solid metal bar under the fusebox.

Try Vehicle Wiring Products if you need any wiring stuff.

Hope this helps,
Craig.

ReMan

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Or use something like the dead end connector as per my avatar, if I understand what you mean coirrectly
derf

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
you can also just tie them together, by that I mean split each wire end into 2 sides, then wrap the 2 sides of wire A into wire B, then doe the same to C and D, then tie A/B and C/D together, then solder and wrap in heat shrink, this IMHO is the best way.
Peteff

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Solder joints here as well.

They were good enough for the Ford loom. I use a ray gun type soldering gun for them.
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=soldering+gun&Search=1
shrink wrap or tape them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick205

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I crimped a ring terminal on to each feed wire and then used a stainless bolt and metal locknut to hold them all together. The whole lot is then wrapped in tape to insulate. i figured that if I need to add or subtract from this then it would make it easier.

Nick

twinturbo

posted on 27/8/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Solder every time.

TT

zetec

posted on 27/8/04 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
If each wire is for a different circuit, with each circuit supplying one or more components then the fuse box with a common supply rail is best as you will be able to fit the correct fuses for each circuit.

Try and avoid tape joints as the SVA inspector won't be too impressed.

Hellfire

posted on 27/8/04 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Solder joints and heatshrink for me

Ditto

jmbillings

posted on 27/8/04 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
1.) Strip insulation away.
2.) Twist wires together.
3.) Sellotape.

Job done

Nah, solder and heatshrink is the way ahead - follow steps 1 and 2 first tho'.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortie

posted on 27/8/04 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, think I will get a fuse box with busbar where you can connect together what you want, basically this feed is the main ignition feed in then it splits to provide power to four fused circuits:-

Headlight - 20A
turn\brake lights- 10A
Side\tail\fog lights- 10A
ign - 10A

ta,
Rich.

craig1410

posted on 27/8/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you do decide to use soldered connections then make sure you use adhesive lined shrink sleeve and more than one layer of protection because the very last thing you need is for the heat shrink to come off and allow your unfused wires to short out to chassis!! This can happen very easily if the heat shrink isn't cut nice and squarely and forms a tear. Then the heat in the engine bay will cause the heat shrink to shrink further and tear right up the middle.

By far the safest route is to have a single large wire from a screw terminal crimp on your battery (or from your ignition switch connector) terminated inside a busbar type fusebox with another screw terminal crimp.

As someone pointed out, the Ford loom does indeed have some soldered joints up near the ignition switch but they are actually crimped in uninsulated crimps then soldered and covered with several layers of adhesive wrap. This is the only part of the Ford loom I have so there may be other places where they use soldered connections too.

Busbar is the best route though.
Cheers,
Craig.

hortimech

posted on 28/8/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shortie
Thanks for the replies guys, think I will get a fuse box with busbar where you can connect together what you want, basically this feed is the main ignition feed in then it splits to provide power to four fused circuits:-

Headlight - 20A
turnbrake lights- 10A
Sidetailfog lights- 10A
ign - 10A

ta,
Rich.

lets see if I've got this right, one wire from your ignition switch is going to power all of the above circuits? just how thick is this wire and how many amps can a sierra ignition switch stand.

Why does everything happen to me

mad4x4

posted on 29/8/04 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Best bet is to take that one wire and use it to switch a coil on a relay. This will then give you 15Amps / 30 Amps or 60 Amps Capability depending on the relay contacts.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

shortie

posted on 29/8/04 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
What I am doing is no different to that of the existing fireblade fusebox, only edition is the fog lamp.

Feed wire is 3mm 33amp, looking at the existing blade loom the feed wire looks more like 2mm!

Rich.

hortimech

posted on 30/8/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I would go for a relay or two if I was you, this could then feed into one side of a fusebox, the feed outs going to your individual circuits. this would protect your ignition switch from an overload.
you could always buy a fire extinguisher if you go your way

Why does everything happen to me

silex

posted on 30/8/04 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I too would isolate the keyswitch with a relay.

Oh, I also use brass crimps with adhesive line heat shrink tube over the top when it comes to splices.

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.