Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooker hood with very long outlet duct. Options?
matt_claydon

posted on 4/4/12 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cooker hood with very long outlet duct. Options?

I need to put in an extractor hood and would prefer an externally vented rather than recirculating system. However, the only route for the outlet duct is into the ceiling, horizontally for 2m, vertically for 3m through the first floor and into the loft and then horizontally another 2-3m exiting at the eaves. Most extractors seem to specify a max run of three metres. Do I have any options? Is it acceptable to add an in-line fan part way along the ducting to act as a booster? I should add i need an 'island' hood which seems to limit options somewhat.

Cheers,
Matt.

bbwales

posted on 4/4/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

You have U2U

Bob

Ninehigh

posted on 4/4/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have thought a longer run would be much of a problem, I mean the air's not going to leak out. I suppose any grease would settle and cause problems down the line... and a fan halfway down (I can see) getting greased up.. Maybe one nearer the exit?

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 4/4/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps a stupid question and something you've already ruled out, but can you run the duct horizontally through the ceiling then exit through the nearest exterior wall? Provided your kitchen has an external wall of course.

Rich

matt_claydon

posted on 4/4/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the joists run the wrong way to run to the external wall
Agriv8

posted on 4/4/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
U2U Jon Ison,

If I remeber correctly he has an ebay company selling cooker hoods . He is reansnobally helpfull - unless he is trying to kill himself arround cadwell with a screwdriver gearstick .

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

britishtrident

posted on 4/4/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
The long vertical run will have a flue effect ---- warm air rises

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 4/4/12 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
If worried stick a shower fan on the outside wall, use one that works on moisture content so it kicks off when required ?

Not that expensive from B&Q, as its not hazardous like a fire flue I do not suppose you need anything really apart from external flaps so it cannot be blown into.

Regards Mark

nick205

posted on 4/4/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Could you make a feature of a surface mounted duct on the kitchen ceiling? Brushed stainless or painted in sympathy with the rest of the decor.

I'd be concerned about condensation and grease build up in a long run and with vertical sections it would pool in the first horizontal run.

JoelP

posted on 4/4/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
That is a long run, but there are many things you can do to mitigate it. Use 6" solid pipe (ie smooth internal bore), proper corners etc. Grease build up isnt an issue, it will only minutely affect the bore size.

Only drawback with a long or restricted run is that the fan can be noisy on full speed, due to backpressure, and sometimes incorrect ducting can invalidate your warantee due to motor strain. However, extractors arent that complex and in my experience dont tend to break.

Another solution is to remove the motor from the extractor, and fit a remote, more powerful one, further away. Benefit here is also quieter running.

Have you considered a downdraft extractor, that rises out of your worktop and ducts below the floor?

PS i wouldnt just add a second fan myself without matching the extraction volumes. Most bathroom type fans would just restrict the flow, and a big powerful one could make the kitchen end run too fast.

[Edited on 4/4/12 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Smigga

posted on 4/4/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
You can reduce standard ducting down to about 3inches of flat tubing screw fix sell it, you cold drop your ceiling if your really insistent on a duct, personally for all the hassle I'd recommend a GOOD filtered unit plus an extract fan on a kitchen wall...

Dave

theprisioner

posted on 4/4/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
10m ducting

http://www.screwfix.com/p/100mm-mixed-flow-fan/26867
matt_claydon

posted on 4/4/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, some food for thought!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.