Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What does the collective think of this kit?
beagley

posted on 5/4/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
What does the collective think of this kit?

Was being very "productive" at work yesterday and stumbled across this little gem.

For those that have a discerning and cautious eye (like myself) that like to see the domain before they click on a link, here it is in plain english:

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818

They have an expected COMPLETED VEHICLE cost of under 10,000 gbp... which is phenomenal. SWMBO seemed to be pleased that it was a good bit less than the current target of my affection, but unfortunately this kit isn't released just yet. They're hoping for later this year or early 2013........ so...... It also appears that this company wants to go world wide, so if anyone is interested drop them a line. (NTDWM, just like to see small businesses succeed)

Beags

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

jossey

posted on 5/4/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I like it. Wonder if the body will fit a moddified locost chassis.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rod Ends

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't it say kit for under $10K, complete car for $15K?
Can you get a Subaru for $5K?

iank

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote

Though I wouldn't order one until I saw more than a couple of cad renderings.

10k for the kit sounds reasonable, 15k on the road sounds cheap (but the kit is very comprehensive so it might be ok)

[Edited on 5/4/12 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wylliezx9r

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Doesn't it say kit for under $10K, complete car for $15K?
Can you get a Subaru for $5K?

Early Impreza turbo's start at £500, so yes.

Kit looks realy cool, will be nice to see the production bodywork rather than the CAD rendering. I would definately consider building one if it can be done on the budget they are suggesting.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

beagley

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I was very surprised by their target prices.

Did some shopping on the Bay of Flea and some other classifieds and there are quite a few early Subies that can be had for $1,000. Not to mention the breaker's yard wrecks I've found for 150 gbp, my head is running way too fast at the moment. Those subaru lumps like to take boost so I don't see much of a problem of getting 250is hp out of them with little to no modification.

I really like the concept rendering thats just below the main cad rendered picture of the body. If my new job pans out lets organize a group buy!!

bonzoronnie

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cool

Quite like it.

The Subaru donor part brings a nice warm feeling to my loins.

If the production parts look as good as the concept drawings I can see plenty of interest.

RK

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
ff is what all kit companies can only hope to be. they are first class by all accounts and even have a weekend at their factory so you can put a roadster together in a team prior to delivery of your own kit.

this new kit is race only so dont know about your iva etc. adds to the cost obviously

scootz

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice... but then most things they do fall into that category!

I also like the RCR lineup... linky

It's Evolution Baby!

eddie99

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I want one!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Chippy

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Body looks very nice. Chassis not so good IMHO, don't like the way they have done the triangulation on the sides. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

beagley

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Any of you gents know any tailors??? I need somebody to make me some deeper pockets for all these toys.

I was hoping to get some work done today, but thanks to the RCR link posted above and some of these others all hope is lost on productivity.

Cheers

Beags

Slimy38

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see any reference to GBP, am I missing something?

It's a very nice car, I just wonder how much it would cost to import on top of their base price. And as RK says, the IVA restrictions may result in a bit more work needed.

I will be keeping an eye on it though...

beagley

posted on 5/4/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I can't see any reference to GBP, am I missing something?

It's a very nice car, I just wonder how much it would cost to import on top of their base price. And as RK says, the IVA restrictions may result in a bit more work needed.

I will be keeping an eye on it though...

I used google to find the conversion for you lot. Not to stray off topic, but its irritating when other Americans use the "We use $ here in AMERICA so that means the rest of the world should too!!!" line. I believe the UK word for that is "daft" right? Anyway, I took the 15k dollar value and converted to pounds for you. Just trying to be as helpful as I can.

Beags

[Edited on 4/5/2012 by beagley]

Paul_C

posted on 5/4/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
It does look good but appears to be mainly CAD generated pictures with some part finished components.
Have they enginered all the changes to the Subura parts? Stuff like the gear change and the cooling system. The chassis doesn't look all that sophisticated either but it is quite reasonably priced. I'd like to see a running demonstrator.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.