Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tax disk positioning.
jmbillings

posted on 27/8/04 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Tax disk positioning.

Hello. T7 got a nice "no tax, you're in trouble" sticker on the window. But it does have tax. Sorted eventually (dont ever try ringing Stamford Police Station. It's impossible), but they said it *has* to be displayed on the windscreen. Ours is in a nice thiefproof one on the side of the scuttle, motorbike style. Personally, Im not convinced they are right - does anyone know for sure/have any pointers to the DVLA site that say? I thought it just had to be displayed "prominently" - after all, what if you have an aeroscreen etc.?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 27/8/04 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting... I have no screen at all, and I don't plan to fit one!

David

Hellfire

posted on 27/8/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO after reading the dvla website (DVLA) I'd say you were right.

As long as it is clearly displayed you're in the clear.

Their problem is the new 'stinger' camera's can't detect them - damned shame that is thay'll have to do it properly then.

I have just written to the DVLA asking for their advice (ours is not diplayed on the windscreen either) - there is no information as the 'search' facility is broken down.

[Edited on 27-8-04 by Hellfire]

Hellfire

posted on 27/8/04 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
We might be well reading this:

CLICK

Ho-hum...

jmbillings

posted on 27/8/04 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ho hum indeed!

Anyone know of a decent tea-leaf proof t.d. holder then? Any standard sticky on job and it aint gonna last long

Grr, bloody police, victimising innocent law abiding motorists - was only one of those "Community police officers", not even a real one! At the same time, he wasn't bollockin' teens for littering! 'spose they'll answer back...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 27/8/04 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
We got one of those aluminium machined one's from Haflords uses nuts and bolts to secure.

Available in all colours.... HERE

HTH

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/8/04 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just gonna mount mine on the dash like so many others. No windscreen to attach a taxdisc to... nevermind

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

tractorboy

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
ive got an aeroscreen and mine is attached to the dash board on a motorbike style holder.if i attached it to the screen firstly i dont suppose id keep it too long befor some toerag had it away and secondly my aeroscreen is dark blue so the police magic camera wouldnt be able to read it anyway!
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
i remember a while back this was dicussed at length (not necessarily on this forum, i can't remember), but i remember the outcome being that there is no legal place to position your taxdisk if you don't have a windscreen. this is a bit of a problem.

solutions included placing on roll bar behind passengers left shoulder and on the front left bar of the rollcage close to where it would on the windscreen. and seeing as neither are legal requirements its seems as if Bob C. Locostbuilder is at the mercy of vindictive policemen. it would be nice to ask said vindictive policmen if he could show you where you could place the disc legally on your windscreenless locost though

[Edited on 27/8/04 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Brooky

posted on 28/8/04 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
According to the The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002
the relavent section is
6. - (1) When a vehicle licence or nil licence has been delivered to the Secretary of State with an application for a replacement licence, no licence need be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle to which the licence relates until the replacement licence is obtained.

(2) Except where paragraph (1) applies, the manner in which any vehicle licence or nil licence in force for a vehicle is to be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in accordance with the provisions of section 33(1) or (1A) of the 1994 Act, when it is used or kept on a public road, is that specified in the following provisions of this regulation.

(3) Each such licence shall be fixed to the vehicle in a holder sufficient to protect the licence from the weather to which it would otherwise be exposed.

(4) The licence shall be exhibited on the vehicle -

(a) in the case of an invalid vehicle, tricycle or bicycle, other than in a case specified in sub-paragraph (b) or (c) of this paragraph, on the near side of the vehicle;

(b) in the case of a bicycle drawing a side-car or to which a side-car is attached, on the near side of the handlebars of the bicycle or on the near side of the side-car;

(c) in the case of any vehicle fitted with a glass windscreen in front of the driver extending across the vehicle to its near side, on or adjacent to the near side of the windscreen;

(d) in the case of any other vehicle -

(i) if the vehicle is fitted with a driver's cab containing a near side window, on that window; or

(ii) on the near side of the vehicle in front of the driver's seat and not less than 760 mm and not more than 1.8 metres above the surface of the road.

(5) In each case referred to in paragraph (4), the licence shall be so exhibited that all the particulars on the licence are clearly visible in daylight from the near side of the road.

The only legal place on my car ( on the near side of the vehicle in front of the driver's seat and not less than 760 mm and not more than 1.8 metres above the surface of the road.) is the passenger head rest, which becomes obscured when carrying a passenger. But if you have a windscreen it has to be in the bottom near side corner.
Hope that helps.
Dave.

[Edited on 28/8/04 by Brooky]

12a RX-7

posted on 28/8/04 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
those stinger camera's read your numberplate. They don't look for a tax disc
mad4x4

posted on 30/8/04 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The only legal place on my car ( on the near side of the vehicle in front of the driver's seat and not less than 760 mm and not more than 1.8 metres above the surface of the road.) is the passenger head rest, which becomes obscured when carrying a passenger. But if you have a windscreen it has to be in the bottom near side corner.
Hope that helps.
Dave.

How can the passenger head rest be in front on the drivers seat.? Unless you have it slid right forward and the drivers seat right back.

Would be in front of drivers seat mean the front edge? and not the backrest?

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/8/04 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote

on the near side of the vehicle in front of the driver's seat and not less than 760 mm and not more than 1.8 metres above the surface of the road.

unquote

so surely mounting it on the side of the scuttle on the passenger side would be OK?

I cant see any way that having it on the dash, so its only visible inside the car would be seen in a court as reasonably displaying it to the outside world. Mounting it on the scuttle side would be similar to a motorcycle, so his hounor would likely let you off.....

atb

steve

[Edited on 30/8/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Brooky

posted on 1/9/04 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
The passenger seat is bolted slightly forward of the drivers seat, the reason being so I can slip my trainers behind it when I am driving.
Sticking it on the dash is below the legal height, although that is what I have done.

[Edited on 1/9/04 by Brooky]

Hellfire

posted on 1/9/04 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
According to the DVLA:

Quote:

May I just clarify that "non display" of a tax disc is a police offence and they can fine for this. If the vehicle is licenced and this shows on the DVLA record then we would not do anything regarding this matter.

If the vehicle has no windscreen and no tax then it should be removed off the road and you should make a SORN declaration (statutory off road notification). As long as the vehicle remains on the road you are liable to be prosecuted.

I trust this clarifies the position.

Regards

Sara Meredith
DVLA Customer Enquiries (Vehicles)

That should clear that up then

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/9/04 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, clear as mud

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.