Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Tank Construction Question...
nickharding

posted on 15/4/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel Tank Construction Question...

Didn't really know where to put this thread so decided to put it here as it is part of the chassis build i suppose.

If I build a tank following the book, could someone tell me what litre tank it would be? It's just my engine is going to be very thirsty and will be used on road too.

Cheers!

Or if someone could recommend me a size, even better!

designer

posted on 15/4/12 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Just do a search and there are loads of places to get it!!

http://www.petfish.net/calculators/calculate.php

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 15/4/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Simple maths to work out the volume of the tank, LxHxW in mm!

posted on 15/4/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
10cm x 10cm x 10cm = 1lt
nickharding

posted on 15/4/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Could someone please help me workout the volume of this tank please?

Just tried to do it with the link provided and was told it was over 6000 gallons. Don't think so. Measurements were converted correctly too.

SausageArm

posted on 15/4/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Without working out the exact shape of the tank, it's in the region of 26 litres.
nickharding

posted on 15/4/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Needs to be bigger, will be road legal too and running about 300-350bhp, will soon empty that. Will just keep the same width and length and make it taller by another 10cm or something. As long as its about 35 - 40L it will be al right I think. When on the track I will just half fill.
DIY Si

posted on 15/4/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Using the link provided, and rough measurements, as the link assumes a rectangular tank, it comes out at roughly 6.5 gallons. Using the measurements, which I'm not sure would actually make a real shape, it's 24.5L.

And please don't take this as an insult, for I know maths isn't everyone's forte, but for someone building the kind of car you're talking about, you should be able to figure out the volume of a fuel tank.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

nickharding

posted on 16/4/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there and thanks for your input.

I am a lathe operator and a specific machinist. Just never had anything to do with volume and didn't know the formula.

Cheers.

I now know my size i will make my tank too.

T66

posted on 17/4/12 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
My front mounted tank is going to be a queer shape, so shapes have been in my head while I decide on shape & volume. While making a coffee I was pondering cylinder shapes, before I knew it , I had emptied the 32L pedal bin and had it tucked under the bonnet of the fiat.

Just to get a general idea. Im currently trimming and shaping 2 x Budweiser boxes taped together. Most I can hope for is about 5 gallons.

nickharding

posted on 17/4/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate.

Thanks for your ideas! .. Will have to do some cutting and shaping of my own just to get an idea of its actual size!

Going to make it the same size as the one recommended in the book (if it is to be said 26L roughly) i will just make it a few CM taller just to make a bit closer to the 30L mark. will be happy with that.

Cheers,

All the best.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.