New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: diagnose my engine rattle
rodgling

posted on 17/4/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
diagnose my engine rattle

The short of it is, my engine sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5VNSIUZQSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxcptTmSqI

Last week I changed the oil and did a track day, half way through the track day I noticed this. I don't think I over-revved it (maybe once very slightly with engine braking), definitely didn't starve it of oil. Loads of oil pressure still.

Under the rocker cover looks healthy, no play anywhere. I can't locate the sound very precisely. I've disconnected each spark plug in turn and found no improvement. Removing the belt with no improvement rules out water pump, alternator etc. Knock sensors don't report a problem.

Driving at 50 mph I found that the sound went away with no throttle, the slightest bit of throttle and it came back. It's present if I just tickle the throttle up to say a steady 1500 rpm sat in the garage (so no load).

I've ordered a new timing chain tensioner in the hope that it's just a loose timing chain, any other suggestions or things I can look at?

[Edited on 17/4/12 by rodgling]

Chippy

posted on 17/4/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an engine strip to me, I wouldnt be happy with that. Could be a bearing of some sort, (small end). Does that engine have hyro tappets, could be one of those. You should be able to locate the noise with a piece of broom handle, used as a stethescope. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

rodgling

posted on 17/4/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not happy with it :-( Solid shims, no hydraulic tappets. I've tried locating the noise with a screwdriver as a stethoscope, no joy so far.
old_timbo

posted on 17/4/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked for a exhaust manifold to head leak? Can get a strange ticking noise like yours from these.
Volvorsport

posted on 17/4/12 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm , without even listening to it , if its not an exhaust leak , under load - its the big ends .

not saying its that , but in general big ends

i once stripped a diesel toyota that had good oil pressure , couldnt pin point it at all apart from the rattle under load - the bearing collapsed , piston was hitting the cylinder head aswell !!!!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

rodgling

posted on 17/4/12 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention, it had new big end bearings fitted just before I bought it, maybe 1k miles ago. I'd hope they're still OK. Presumably if a bearing has gone I can expect to find evidence in the oil?

The rattle sounds to me like it's about 6 Hz at idle, which is approximately every other revolution, makes me think/hope it's something in the head and not a bearing? I'd expect a bearing noise to be every revolution?

[Edited on 17/4/12 by rodgling]

Volvorsport

posted on 17/4/12 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
depends on the ignition events , but ive listened and it does seem mechanical .

can you get at the sump easy ? it might have spun a bearing too , i dont think its piston slap either ..

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

rodgling

posted on 17/4/12 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
can you get at the sump easy ? it might have spun a bearing too , i dont think its piston slap either ..

For some value of "easy". I took it off a few weeks ago doing the oil change to change a leaky gasket, it's a hateful job but it can be done with the engine in the car.

What would I be looking for with sump off? What's a good next step to diagnose this?

Volvorsport

posted on 17/4/12 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
well , with access to big ends you should be able to spot a massive amount of play in one compared with the others if it is that , as long as its nothing too obvious , youve got nothing too lose....

you cant really diagnose them properly without taking it apart sadly .....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

rodgling

posted on 17/4/12 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it's sump off if a new chain tensioner (I've ordered one as it's potentially a cheap and easy fix, so it's worth a shout) doesn't help then. What a pain.
omega 24 v6

posted on 18/4/12 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds strange. Almost like it half engine speed so my guess would be cam related.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

adithorp

posted on 18/4/12 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Difficult to say without hearing it in person... but sounds like big end bearing.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

franky

posted on 18/4/12 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Does sound strange dave, does the sound go at all at any rpm? you can get a cheap Stethoscope off ebay for a couple of quid. I'd hate to hear its bearing related. get stethoscope and then try and locate where you think its coming from. could it be the vanos slipping at the front of the engine?
rodgling

posted on 18/4/12 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
It's present at all rpm as far as I know. I'm going to borrow a stethoscope and try to locate it. I hope it's vanos or timing chain, bearings would be bad. I saw some heavy misfires on track which makes me think vanos.
hughpinder

posted on 18/4/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Happens under load at 'cam speed' - valve not seating/sticking partly open?

hugh

Daddylonglegs

posted on 18/4/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound 'deep' enough to be a big-end to me. What about an injector? I've heard them make some wierd noises in the past (assuming it's the type with solenoid)?

Just my 2p worth.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

JAMSTER

posted on 18/4/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
cam timing/vanos unit fault i've had smaller bmws making that sort of noise and it been down to eccentric shafts not sure if your engine has these but might be worth a look

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/01/07/23

[Edited on 18/4/12 by JAMSTER]

MikeRJ

posted on 18/4/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Vanos is not usually a low frequency intermittent rattle like that, it's more of a continuous clatter.

The seems to be idling quite roughly as well, have you checked the spark plugs? A loose plug can make a similar sort of noise.

[Edited on 18/4/12 by MikeRJ]

hughpinder

posted on 18/4/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I like the spark plug idea - I've had that with a defective plug that was blowing and it did sound a lot like that.
Regards
Hugh

rodgling

posted on 18/4/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not a spark plug, I've checked those. Could be vanos - I've been getting misfires and very bad emissions which could both be explained by wrong timing, but I'd like to be sure before I go down that road (it's expensive and I'd hate to go there and then discover I need a new block due to spun bearings). Could be timing chain?

It happens mainly not under load, either with the car in neutral and a tiny bit of throttle, or when on the throttle gently cruising. I've yet to hear it (maybe the occasional noise, but never a proper rattle) with no throttle. It's obvious on constant throttle and on over-run.

Oddified

posted on 18/4/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
From the sound and the discription of events, i'd guess at a little end.

Ian

rodgling

posted on 18/4/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
It looks a lot like a bearing has died. My (week-old) oil is full of what looks like glitter. I don't see any other interpretation?

Sump off tomorrow to try and figure out which one and if the engine is salvageable.

rodgling

posted on 19/4/12 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't get the sump off but had a poke under the rocker cover again. Valve clearance is way out, .279-.305 mm on the exhaust side (except one just out of spec at .254) which is OK, but all bar two are .279 - .305 on the intake side too which is supposed to be at .18 - .23!

Doesn't explain the mess in my oil but it's another thing that needs sorting.

Cams look a bit worn, but I don't know how worn is too worn?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.