Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hammerite - your experience
Tigers

posted on 30/8/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite - your experience

Hi!

I'm thinking to paint my chasis with Hammerite, as I dont't know any other rust preventive paint. Do you have any experience with it? Does it realy works?
Isn't it too soft for chasis and do I need any primer for that?
Thanx, Janis

PS. Also maybe someone can suggest where to buy weld-through primer online (in europe), because I keep on asking it here, but no one seems to heard of such thing...

rash

posted on 30/8/04 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
hi
i am going to use hammerite for the chassis but i am going to prime mine first with galvafriod its a little expensive but it is a superb rust preventor hope this is of some help

theconrodkid

posted on 30/8/04 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
i found hammerite chips too easily,i painted mine with red lead,use a small roller for better finnish ,then household gloss,dulux or another name brand is usually better than b&q type stuff

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jon Ison

posted on 30/8/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
not keen on hammerite either, it does chip very easy.........

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/8/04 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
por 15 1000£ a litre bullet proof

Viper

posted on 30/8/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
£1000 a ltr? wants to be made of gold....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/8/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite is great for what its intended for - heavily pitted, descaled rusty parts. It will not adhere to smooth surfaces like your chassis will be. If you do want to use hammerite, leave your chassis at the bottom of your local harbour for a fortnight before you paint.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Viper

posted on 30/8/04 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
or have it blasted first

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/8/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
..and then use a decent paint!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeRJ

posted on 30/8/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite (especialy the smooth version) chips very easily in my experience, because it is so hard when it (eventualy) dries.

I have primed bits of my chassis in Davids Zinc 182 primer, and it seems remarkably tough. Just need a decent topcoat, was wondering if the Jenolite "Repaint" stuff was any good?

POR seems to get glowing reports, though very expensive.

Dusty

posted on 30/8/04 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Weld through primer is available in Halfrauds as U-POL #2 Weld through primer in spray cans.
wilkingj

posted on 30/8/04 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I use Chassis Black from the local Agricultural Merchant. Tough as old boots, and Cow / Pig p!ss proof as well!

Cheap and cheerful, I use it on my Landrovers..

Galvafroid, Excellent, but expensive... Hold Up a tin... its heavy.. ie loadsa Zinc in it.

Hammerite, too brittle, especially the smoothrite version. excellent on a slightly rusty surface, ie not good on new bright bare metal. (IMHO).

Best Regards

GeoffW

Tigers

posted on 31/8/04 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is that my chasis has already started to rust in some spots (keeping it in quite humid garage )
Of course I'm going to clean it with The TOOL before painting anyway.
Thanks for tips!

Janis

Terrapin_racing

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like POR15 would be ideal. Then topped off with chassis black by POR.
Used it at the weekend - great stuff, just don't get it on your skin!

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=28

David Jenkins

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
My main complaint with Hammerite is the "repaint within a set time, or wait 6 months" problem. I want a paint that just dries, not one that cures over the major part of a year!

I've used POR-15 quite a lot - just remember that you must use Metal Prep before, as it just won't stick to shiny metal. It sticks like the proverbial once the surface has a key.

David

craig1410

posted on 1/9/04 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have used Smootherite on my front uprights and a few other suspension components and it is "alright". I agree that the recoat within 8 hours constraint is a bit of a pain and requires a bit of planning ahead to avoid missing the re-coat window.

For my chassis I used an acid etch high build primer (SuperEtch) which wasn't expensive. It comes as a 1 litre tin of primer and a 1 litre bottle of activator/thinner and that was plenty for two good coats on my entire chassis, floor and de-dion axle. Dries very very fast and gives excellent build and superb adhesion. I then scuffed this down and painted with Dulux Weathershield black gloss using a cut down foam roller. It's very nice paint to work with and goes on easily. It dries overnight and is hard in a week or so.

Cheers,
Craig.

Tigers

posted on 1/9/04 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I ordered POR15. Was a bit expensive, but I hope it will be good.
Thanx for sugestions!
Janis

violentblue

posted on 1/9/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
the powdercoating place in town did a friends hot rod chassis for $80 cdn, he just brought it to them blasted and ready to go. can't buy paint for that price.

a few pics of my other projects

nutter

posted on 1/9/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
use chassis black, thats what its desgined for, you can get it and lots of other cool stuff from here http://www.frost.co.uk/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.