Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharger whoops!
ChrisW

posted on 26/4/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Supercharger whoops!

Today the bits of metal I ordered to make up a frame to rest my supercharger in the hydraulic press turned up. Great I thought, I can finally get on with the rebuild.

So, I merrily cut up the metal bars and set the 'charger up in the press ready to push out the rotors. Bit of pressure, nothing moving.... bit more pressure, nothing, little more and crack.

Now, I'm no expert on superchargers, but I don't think this is going to work again:

supercharger broken
supercharger broken

So, question is, what do I do now?

The supercharger is a TRD unit designed as a direct bolt-on fitment to US spec Toyota Camrys. They're very difficult to come by and fetch big money, especially on this site of the pond, so finding another 'for parts' isn't going to happen. But, it's well known that it's an Eaton M62 unit in a custom housing that fits in place of the inlet manifold.

Now, that said, as it's an 'M62' will the rotor pack and (more importantly) the alloy plate be the same in all M62's? In other words, if I buy a replacement unit from a Mercedes which are a lot easier to come by will I be able to swap the internals over?

Any other clues as to how to solve this problem appreciated. I won't say how much I paid for this very rare bit of kit, or how long I was looking before I found this one, but lets just say I'll be gutted if it's a dead loss!

Chris

[Edited on 26/4/2012 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Autosri

posted on 27/4/12 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
what about chemical metal or drilling an tapping a load of fixing and some sealer as i guess thats not a structural mounting but more a inlet flange
Canada EH!

posted on 27/4/12 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
Is it possible this is the same blower used on the Previa vans? If so one close to me is going to the wreckers on Saturday
imp paul

posted on 27/4/12 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
hay up Chris can you not get it tig welded back on as it looks like it would chin up mate
HowardB

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ouch, I feel the pain!

Of interest will it come apart, or is it still all stuck togeter?

If it can be dissassembled, can the case be tigged and skimmed?

Sorry, not got any other bright ideas,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

BenB

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote

I reckon it's Tiggy time personally though it would depend on the alloy used.

owelly

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
You need to get on the blower (sorry) to someone who refurbs the M62 and ask them, and possibly cross-reference part numbers. I'd also be looking at geting that casing repaired, even if it means getting it TIG welded and then milled back to size. Good luck.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
if they are that rare then v it up on the inside tig it round then re machine it. almost anything can be fixed it just depends if its an economical repair or not

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

mark chandler

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ouch !

Time to TIG, it looks like you have plenty of room around the gears to add a fillet on the inside, the rotors are supported each end and aligned by the body so not a scrap item yet and hopefully no need to machine either.

While it’s in parts you can port for extra oomph, I got good gains on mine by modifying the inlet and outlet to copy a Gen5 Eaton.

I have an AC TIG, but have not done ali for a couple of years but happy to give it a go, may be a bit agricultural.

Regards Mark

welderman

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
As posted above, if it will tig up then im willing to have a go

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Steve Hignett

posted on 27/4/12 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
As posted above, if it will tig up then im willing to have a go

Doooo eeeeetttt....

jimmyjoebob

posted on 27/4/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
The cracked part looks like a standard eaton component. There are a couple of companies that do superchargers based around eaton units and it is normally only the main housing that they custom manufacture.

Replace the fractured part. If you weld it you will end up with distortion and remove the heat treatment. Might be OK but why take the risk. If the rotors touch each other or the housing you scrap it.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

tasmod

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Martin Keenan at MK Engineering would weld that up no problem.

I assume from your post that it doesn't matter about other rotors as it's the housing that's custom?

Rob

ChrisW

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tasmod
Martin Keenan at MK Engineering would weld that up no problem.

I assume from your post that it doesn't matter about other rotors as it's the housing that's custom?

This is basically what I was asking really. Yes, I know it could be TIG'd, but I'd prefer to replace if possible.

If the 'M62' bit is the rotors and the top plate then I can (hopefully) just swap it over. The rotors really needed re-coating anyway so it's not the absolute end of the world.

I guess what I need is someone who rebuilds these things for a living that I can take all the bits too and see if I can match it up to anything.

Yes, worst case it will TIG up, but it will need to be done very accurately. If the bearings in this plate are out of alignment with the ones at the bottom all sorts of nasty stuff will happen.

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

tasmod

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, realised reference alignment problem later.

Sorry I see you mean the main housing is custom but this is an endplate.

I had a similar problem when a customer had a blocked oil feed line causing bearing seizure, so bad it stopped the engine and it wouldn't turn over at all on starter. Endplate was scored deep but had it welded up and skimmed accurately.

Rob

pewe

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Talk to Roger Clarke here in Reading.
He's an ace welder to the point of being anally retentive in his perfection.
Quote from Scoobynet:-
Try Roger Clarke
12a, Shaftesbury Rd, Reading, Berkshire RG30 2QP (Just off the Oxford Rd) 01189 507735 or 07803477221.
(Amazing quality & hugely talented.)

And if you're in the area pop in for a cuppa.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

imp paul

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
i would let joe welderman sort it he is the man
froggy

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure its a generic part as the difference between m45 and m62 is rotor length not diameter ,i had the part you need from my trashed m45 but sods law it went in the scrap bin a couple of weeks back

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

carboy0

posted on 27/4/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
[img]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[/img]

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

ChrisW

posted on 28/4/12 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Need to start looking for pics of M62's disassembled I guess and see if it looks the same. That's the ideal scenario in my book as the rotors I have are not in the best nick - see my previous thread, some of the coating has worn off.

But yes, I accept, welding it could probably be done if it came to it. The only problem is that I can't get the rotors out, and now I can't press it either as I'll just damage the housing even more.

Chris

My gaff my rules

ChrisW

posted on 29/4/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know of a (preferably local) supercharger rebuild company/person to take this mess to for some advice? I'm near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

I'm sure there was one in Langley (near Uxbridge), or close by there, but can't find it now!

Chris

My gaff my rules

BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/4/12 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Does anyone know of a (preferably local) supercharger rebuild company/person to take this mess to for some advice? I'm near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

I'm sure there was one in Langley (near Uxbridge), or close by there, but can't find it now!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I would just get another blower if i was you. what engine are you putting it on? have your already made the required mountings / pulley's?

If not go for the most common blower, M90.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 30/4/12 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
quote:

Chris

Hi Chris,

I would just get another blower if i was you. what engine are you putting it on? have your already made the required mountings / pulley's?

Please read the thread before replying!!!

My gaff my rules

BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/4/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
quote:

Chris

Hi Chris,

Please read the thread before replying!!!

Have read it again! you have a V6 in an MR2, the blower you have was designed to fit the V6.
Have i got it right?

I would say you are better off modifying the installation to take a common blower, i dont know what size the V6 is but the M62 is only big enough for a 2L engine UNLESS you are only planning to use very low boost, to make the whole thing worth while you need design an install that is capable of decent power. It is FAR better to underdrive a blower than overdrive it, so the bigger blower is the way to go. M90.
It looks to me your blower is scrap, so now's your change to upgrade. Do it properly, do it once.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 10/5/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just an update on this. First off I finally managed to get an account on the forum that was recommended, although it wasn't much help in the end.

However, I have discovered that the BMW Mini M45 supercharger PROBABLY shares the bearing plate (the bit I broke) with the M62. The only difference is the length of the rotors and of course the housing, all the other dimensions are the same.

So, my plan is to buy an M45 and raid it for the broken part. Obviously these are far easier to come by in the UK than an M62, and therefore considerably cheaper.

I say 'probably' because all I've been able to do so far is compare photographs and dimensions. Everything matches up so far but until I get the two parts together I won't know for sure. Will update as/when that happens.

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.