Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question on electric starter for reverse
Siduna

posted on 29/4/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Question on electric starter for reverse

Hi all!

I'm working on using a starter motor from a car for reverse gear. The starter is a Bosch and comes from an Opel Omega 1996. The sprocket wheel has 9 teeth but I'm uncertain of the module. I've been measuring and calculating and comes up between 2 and 2,5. The teeth does not have "standard" profiles, and I gues no starter gears have ("thinner" for easier engagement).
Can anyone of you guys bring som light on what module the sprocker gear has? I'd like to be pretty accurate since I intend to machine a gear that fits to the starter engine. On the same shaft I'll place an idle gear for chain tensioning ... pretty clever!?

Writing with a broken pencil is pointless

40inches

posted on 29/4/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
You may find that the Vauxhall starter turns the wrong way.
Rigging an electric reverse has been done, many times, check my archive for all the info you should need, and the only starter motor you can get at a reasonable price that turns the correct way, as far as I could find, are the VAG ones.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=40inches&folder=Electric%20reverse

phoenix70

posted on 29/4/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
40 inches, you wouldn't have the original CAD drawing for your bracketry would you? thinking of getting andyw7de to cut some for me and it would save me having to re-draw them

Cheers

Scott

40inches

posted on 30/4/12 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
No problem, U2U your email address and I will send them

Siduna

posted on 30/4/12 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
40 inches, strange as it may seem my design is not "sensible" to the rotation direction of the started engine. I'll use it to turn the idle gear for the chain tensioner thus applying the reverse direction of the chain (no prop drive in my case). Hence I can turn the engine so that the sprocket gears turn the right way for making the car going backwards.
Therefore I'm still in need of knowing the gear module on the sprocket wheel on the starter engine. My guess (!) is that for most European cars the moduel is the same?

40inches

posted on 30/4/12 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Siduna, the gear isn't a MOD pitch, it's a DP pitch, 12DP to be exact. I was expecting a MOD.
I took a Ford, Vauxhall(Opel) and a VAG starter motor to HPC, along with a ring gear from an Audi, they confirmed that they are all
12DP. If you look in my archive at the photo of the Audi ring gear, you will see that the gear teeth profile is in a very simple form,but
it obviously works well for the time it is actually in use.

[Edited on 30-4-12 by 40inches]

Siduna

posted on 30/4/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the information! Highly appreciated.
Would have been happier learning that it was a MOD pitch though ... imperial standard isn't really the thing where I live ... just have to start up the brain cells and the machinery to make a gear wheel then ... 12DP is the equivalent of 25,4/12=2,117 MOD ... a lot of "obstacles" coming my way ...
Are there any suppliers in the UK for DP pitch wheels I could by and do the final machining myself?

40inches

posted on 30/4/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry! that should have been HPC Gears not CPC.
Catalogue
I couldn't find anywhere in the UK that was any cheaper
Where in the world are you by the way?

[Edited on 30-4-12 by 40inches]

Siduna

posted on 30/4/12 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip 40inches!

Where in the world I live? Sometimes I wonder if it's a country or a joke, but it's called Sweden.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.