Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calling all Land Rover gurus'...
richard thomas

posted on 30/4/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Calling all Land Rover gurus'...

Been trawling the Land Rover forums looking for some info, however as always I revert to this place to get some advice from those I trust....

I have decided my year 2000 Discovery Td5 (manual box) could do with some more poke....have been planning to give the intercooler a good flush out etc....and have started to look at chip upgrades and larger intercoolers and stuff. I do use it for towing (a caravan - sorry..but looking to drag it out to France again this year and sick of slowing down up steep hills), and would like some advice on the best £ per bang based on any experience you lot might have out there....

Chip upgrades (various) seem to be from about £500, chip and intercooler upgrades from about £1000 - anyone had it done? Or know somone who has?

And was it really worth it?

(Obviously, ideally I would like to hear that it's possible to get 1000bhp for a fiver....)

Cheers, Rich.

T66

posted on 30/4/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have exchanged a few emails with Ralph Hosier before, he is a top bloke with a really mad website.

He is one of the techy writers for some of the car mags, theres not much about LR he doesnt know.

http://www.rhel.co.uk/articles/articles.htm

kevmcdo

posted on 30/4/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I have had a few TD5's over the years and they respond very well to being remapped or having a power plug in fitted, you can expect a very honest 160hp and a healthy boost in torque. It makes towing a caravan very dangerous though as you do tend to forget it's there on a long run

Flushing the inter cooler is a good place to start on 12yr old td5 as uprated ones are a bit pricey but well worth it!!
Blanking of the egr is also a 5 min mod that is cheap to do.
Fitting a pacet or kenllow fan is also a good mod as it lets the engine rev up a little more freely too.

Twisted performance or allisport are both very good and have been around for years doing Landrover upgrades so they may be worth a call.

Neil P

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 2002 Disco TD5 with a Jeremy Fearn chip and intercooler upgrade. It had it on when I bought it and the receipts in the document pack are for around £1200 or so.

I've just had a look on their website and the current package is £850 + VAT, so £1020 fitted and gives you 198BHP. That's a pretty significant boost over the standard figure. Mine does about 25 - 26 MPG if you don't go daft but down about 20-21 if you drive it hard.

It's still not a sports car but it pulls big trailers etc without really noticing and has surprised a few people trying to get past on motorway on-slips! It accelerates up any hill you point it at.

It does put out a little black smoke if you boot it hard, but again if driven sensibly, it doesn't (mine does tend to do this quite a bit ).

I've also blanked off the EGR and taken the viscous fan off completely. I remember being told that it is built to be capable of cooling itself in the desert and isn't needed under normal circumstances. I have never seen even a hint of overheating without it fitted and had actually forgotten completely I'd done it until I saw the comment above about the Kenlow.

I have had other LRs. My last Disco was a 300TDI and having driven a standard TD5 at work I can tell you that they feel like real slugs after driving mine. I would be very reluctant to go back to a standard one now.

Neil

Irony

posted on 1/5/12 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I admittedly know little about LD but I drive a Defender 110 at work and one day it went wrong. The local LD dealer where we got it took it back for repair and lent us his own personal Defender 90. They are both TD5 but his was chipped or remapped and it did make a significant difference. It was actually fun to drive and it shocked a lot of people coming off roundabouts etc.

Everyone at work was a little bit sad when our own came back.

locoboy

posted on 1/5/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
We have done the following to our work one - all done to give it a 'bit' more grunt but without affecting reliability. 90% of its miles are done towing a triaxle trailer with a nother 4x4 on it.

EGR blanked off
Decat pipe
Centre Exhaust silencer removed
KnN panel filter
Intercooler flush

All easy bolt on, bolt off modifications.

It makes it more responsive and doesn't risk the reliability of what is already a fairly unreliable vehicle, as we need it in use every day.

ATB
Locoboy

mad4x4

posted on 2/5/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
When I was looking to get my TD5 done the Best guy is the country was somewhere round HULL or Whitby. I was considering traveling down to see him.

But Basicaly Biger Intercooler , Remove EGR , De _cat then look at Remapping not point in re-mapping till all that is done....

Personally after owning a Disco 2002 td5 Auto - I wouldn't bother I'd buy a Ford Ranger 3.0td or a L200 or something instead. At least it has power to start with..... My disco was S***!

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

richard thomas

posted on 2/5/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys,

Had done the EGR blanking a couple of years ago...reason I have really considered a bit of an upgrade is that reading a LR forum I decided to take a look at the MAP sensor - it was absolutely full of oily black crud.....and poking finger inside the inlet manifold through the MAP sensor hole I can feel a film of crud in there too....hence the task to flush the intercooler out...although I think most of the crud will enter the inlet manifold after the intercooler through the (once connected) EGR system.....

Any commets on how likely the intercoler is to be cruddy?

Am sorely tempted to remove the viscous fan and replace with an electric one....not cheap though....have read a lot of people have simply removed the viscous and not have a fan fitted at all with no adverse effects - but something inside me just won't let me do it.....

Strangely though....since cleaning the MAP sensor up, the engine warms quicker......ca't fathom that unless it was overfuelling previously due to poor signals....will keep an eye on fuel consumption to verify this....

richard thomas

posted on 5/5/12 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just an update for anyone who may be interested....

Since cleaning the MAP sensor, the car is a little smoother - however main difference is that the fuel economy is markedly improved, and the car warms up quicker....can only assume that this is because it was overfuelling all the time...

However, I decided to flush the intercoler out today and when removed noticed it was a bit of an odd shape - looked like the bottom 2 cores were 'inflated'.....suffice to say it has blown - filled it with water and it honks out....which also explains some of the lack of power...

So now I have to get a new intercooler....while I am at it I might as well get an upgraded one....and seeing as that it getting fitted I might as well get a re-map....

I've seen claims of 190Bhp and huge torque gains with that sort of work done....fingers crossed

Wheels244

posted on 5/5/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Try

http://bellautoservices.co.uk/remap-chip-tuning/

He worked wonders on my mates Disco.

richard thomas

posted on 5/5/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Try

http://bellautoservices.co.uk/remap-chip-tuning/

He worked wonders on my mates Disco.

Thanks, I'll give them a ring.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.