Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec to Mazda MX5 Gearbox
dohnut91

posted on 10/5/12 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec to Mazda MX5 Gearbox

Looking through this forum there has been alot of advice as to what flywheel to use with what clutch for a duratec to mazda gearbox. Could someone tell me what i would need for my conversion, as spent far too much on different flywheels and clutches now and really need a difinitive answer.

Im running a 2.0 lt duratec from 2001 mondeo onto a 2007 MX5 gearbox.

Thanks in advance

MkIndy7

posted on 10/5/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
The easiest answer is Mazda everything!
Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and starter, release bearing and dont forget the spigot bearing aswell.

The confusion arises as *some Ford bits may work with some Mazda bits i.e a Ford dual mass flywheel starter might fit a MX5 flywheel as they are a larger diameter than a solid ford flywheel.

I had a Fiesta ST150 engine with a solid flywheel, excellent I though untill we put a mx5 clutch (to match the gearbox splines) under the ST150 pressure plate we had, put it all the the car and something caught. Suspecting it was the pressure plate center spider catching we modded it but still no luck.
Bought a MX5 pressure plate, only to find the bolts were on a larger diameter than the ST150 flywheel, so had to buy a MX5 flywheel aswell.

Finally got it all in and working, came to fit the starter and it wouldn't fit so needed a MX5 starter aswell!

So it all depends on what bits of the puzzle you've got and if puce the time to try as modify bits to fit or want to just bolt it all together.

dohnut91

posted on 10/5/12 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
yeh i gathered that would be the easiest way, but the mazda flywheel has a different PCD for the crankshaft bolts and i didnt fancy elongating them. But if i have to then i have to.
MkIndy7

posted on 10/5/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dohnut91
yeh i gathered that would be the easiest way, but the mazda flywheel has a different PCD for the crankshaft bolts and i didnt fancy elongating them. But if i have to then i have to.

Are you certain you've got the correct year MX5 flywheel then?

Our MX5 flywheel bolted straight upto the ST150 crankshaft the solid flywheel had just come off.
Surely they wouldn't make a completely different crankshaft just for the Dual Mass flywheel models..

dohnut91

posted on 10/5/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
all i can find is that all mazda ones are 6x65mm but my duratec is 6x70mm
MkIndy7

posted on 10/5/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dohnut91
all i can find is that all mazda ones are 6x65mm but my duratec is 6x70mm

Maybe all the earlier fully Mazda engined ones 6x65.. then after 2007 they were 6x70 the same.

I could be wrong but I really can't see their being 3 different cranks between Ford/Mazda/Dual mass flywheels

dohnut91

posted on 10/5/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
yeh i would think they were the same, just didnt want to fork out £300 for a new one when its wrong. cant seem to find any second hand ones at the mo??
Furyous

posted on 10/5/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
When I put the standard Duratec flywheel bolts into my MX5 flywheel I found they stuck out a little once they were turned all the way in. I was replacing them with ARP bolts anyway, and they fit fine.

The spigot bearing is the same one used for a Type 9. The shaft on the MX5 box is 15mm.

Late edit: I've just realised you were talking about a different PCD. I didn't realise the holes would be in a different position.

[Edited on 11/5/12 by Furyous]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.