Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding for the first time
roadrunner

posted on 15/5/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Welding for the first time

I am going to start practicing welding soon. I think it's one of them skills that a bloke should have at least some experience of.
So, I am using a small Kende gassless mig 105/f machine.
Any tips before I start, or should I just get stuck in.
Brad.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
This is worth a look

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

T66

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Have a bit of a light read about the subject, wear gloves, clean metal helps a lot, good ventilation...

I taught myself 20 years ago, not brilliant but I get by..

Just crack on, more you do it , better you get.

mig welding.co.uk is a good help

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
get a load of scrap metal of different thickness, a vice and big hammer for bashing it apart to check your welds.

Take your time, read A LOT (that link is an excellent one) and don't be worried about getting critisism on the forum when posting your welds - their tips REALLY help.

ChrisL

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Keep your wire dry and don't forget to flip the eye shield down before you get blinded!
jacko

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I thought you could weld

No serious Brad just give me a shout if you want at any time
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
On ChrisL's point, my youngest bought me an automatic mask a few years ago and it's been invaluable, wouldn't be without it now

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

roadrunner

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
This is worth a look

I already have that Lincy thing, but thanks again.
Thanks for the info fellas and fellasses (you never now). I will re read the info on the link above and get straight on with it.
Jacko, I will see how I get on first, thanks.
Brad.

coozer

posted on 15/5/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well, good luck with that machine, you'll soon be cursing and swearing wondering why you bothered.

Best thing is to get a go on a BIG proper mig to master the welding bit. Small machines are useless for beginners IMO

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jacko

posted on 15/5/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Well, good luck with that machine, you'll soon be cursing and swearing wondering why you bothered.

Best thing is to get a go on a BIG proper mig to master the welding bit. Small machines are useless for beginners IMO

I agree with that gas MIG welders are far far better
Jacko

[Edited on 15/5/12 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris-g

posted on 15/5/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
When I started welding I borrowed some videos from the library. They were made by the welding institute and were invaluable. Youtube would also be worth looking at. Good luck and have fun.
cliftyhanger

posted on 15/5/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I learnt on a clarke 90A gasless. Great little machine for cars and up to 3mm steel, as long as you didn't rush it.

Gasless is very handy for outdoor work, and the flux seems to help if the metal isn't as clean as it could be in awkward corners. Always looks a bit messy after the weld is done as it is covered in the flux residue, but that cleans off PDQ with a wire brush in a grinder.

That leads me on to wire. Use 0.8mm flux cored stuff, I get it off the bay in batches of 10. Good price when bought like that. Avoid the 4.5kg reels unless you have loads of welding to do in a short space of time, the 0.9kg ones last a fair time, plus they are unlikely to go rusty (game over then)
Buy plenty of tips. A wire brush in a grinder and flapwheels are your friends. And if doing "spotwelds" get a metal punch/joddler. Saves a huge amount of time and effort drilling all those holes.

Peteff

posted on 15/5/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with practising with a decent machine before you condemn your efforts with the Kende piece of crap. It is one case where a bad workman blames his tools does not apply, if your welder is crap you will not get a good result.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tegwin

posted on 15/5/12 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Learning on gasless is harder, the welds wont look so "neat".

I would learn with 0.8m mild steel wire and gas!

The best thing you can get if you dont have one is an auto darkening mask..they are pretty cheap these days, you will be able to see what you are doing, getting the weld started at the right angle is the hardest part.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

fimi7

posted on 16/5/12 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Start with the thinner of the wires, gives a little more time and you can run things a little hotter. I started a few months ago, would not call myself a welder yet. but it opens up a whole different way of looking at things.

Example where in the past you would have put a whole and bolt, you might weld on a tab.

--- Ali

Slimy38

posted on 16/5/12 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
As above, get a whole load of scrap to work on, including some lengths of steel that will be the same spec as what you're intending to work on. Start with butt welds first, then go on to angles etc. I got an auto darkening mask off Ebay for <£30, it's worked fine and is so much easier than a flip down mask. Don't forget the welding gloves as well, things get seriously hot really quick, and sunburn is not pleasurable at any time.

For the welding itself, there's a fair few video's on that mig-welding link, plus many more on youtube. The one tip I picked up early on was listen to the weld. If it sounds like frying bacon (a constant clean sizzle) then your wire speed and power are spot on. If it fits and spurts then something is wrong.

FuryRebuild

posted on 16/5/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
All good advice, and I think I've bumped into most of those pitfalls.

I also invested in a pair of nomex cooking gloves from lakeland plastic. Don't know if they still make them but they're fantastic for handling hot work.

I moved over to tig, and felt like i'd found my home. I also moved over to tig about the same time I found the mig-welding.co.uk forum, so i think better education had more to do with it.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

roadrunner

posted on 16/5/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
All great advice, I feel like a pro already.
ChrisL

posted on 16/5/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Wow didn't realise auto darkening helmets had got so cheap, just bought one! Cheers for the heads up
FuryRebuild

posted on 16/5/12 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
It really is the way to go. Makes a tremendous difference to the quality of start you get, and it removes all temptation to do the wrong thing.

Furthermore, closing your eyes tight isn't necessarily enough to avoid arc-eye.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

nickharding

posted on 31/5/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you wear gloves. Wont want the spatters going on your arms. Very sore.

Slimy38

posted on 1/6/12 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickharding
Make sure you wear gloves. Wont want the spatters going on your arms. Very sore.

And a cap facing backwards, it as an amazing ability to go straight over your head and land on the one place that is usually left uncovered!!

DIY Si

posted on 1/6/12 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickharding

I have to say that I rarely wears gloves when working on cars as I find they restrict my movement on the gun. And if you're doing it right, there shouldn't be that much splatter.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Peteff

posted on 1/6/12 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY SiI have to say that I rarely wears gloves when working on cars as I find they restrict my movement on the gun. And if you're doing it right, there shouldn't be that much splatter.

I have to say the opposite, I've been welding cars for 40+ years with oxy acetylene and mig and wear gloves whenever doing anything with hot sharp metal. There will always be an occasion where you just think you can push something you have just tacked into place or decide something is not quite right and want to pull it. If you are under a car keep your ears covered as well, it's frightening when a spark goes in and you hear it fizzing as it melts the wax

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

FuryRebuild

posted on 1/6/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
You need gloves. Don't forget the huge amounts of UV the weld kicks out. it's not good for your skin. If feeling matters, get a good set of tig gloves - mine are calf-skin and there's very little sensation I don't get. ahem.

When I'm doing thin plate (say at 30A) I have to dial up the lightness on the mask and there's very little peripheral sensation of light. However, if I've got the current right up (say at 80A), I can sense the uv flash around the sides of the mask, the garage lights up and I can feel the heat through the gloves and my sleeves.

So, wear gloves, avoid the uv and all the long-term issues that come with it.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.