Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil temp Sensor location
thepest

posted on 23/5/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Oil temp Sensor location

Hey, just thinking about where to place this thing. I could put it after the oil cooler, however it does have a thermostat so little oil passes through it until warmup and even so its oil after the oil cooler so temps would be on the low side.

Alternatively in the sump just near the pickup.

First option lets me see the oil temp going into the engine, would the second option be a more realsitic value of what the oil temp is?

theduck

posted on 23/5/12 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Get something like this OIL FILTER SANDWICH ADAPTER PLATE VOLKSWAGEN GOLF JETTA | eBay

So you can have your oil cooler lines and your sensor all at the filter.

will121

posted on 23/5/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
ive got mine fitted into an adapted sump plug with a 1/8 threaded adaptor shows the general oil temperature

photo

[Edited on 23/5/12 by will121]

dhutch

posted on 23/5/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ive not got any wires onto it yet but when I asked the same question I ended up putting it into the sump as mines a steel stump I had of for shortening anyway it was easy. Just tapped out a M8 weld nut to 1/8th NPT. But next time the filters off I might look at tapping a similar hole into my sandwich plate at well to compair, ive got the tap now....!

Daniel

[Edited on 23/5/2012 by dhutch]

lsdweb

posted on 23/5/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
As it's a crossflow, have the oil sensor dragging on the floor behind the car as that's where most of the oil goes :-)

I'm only joking - love the crossflow.

There are loads of oil filter adaptor plates available and these make it an easy option to fit sensors and oil cooler hoses.

W

britishtrident

posted on 23/5/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
It is the temperature after the cooler that is important, it should be within 10 degrees of normal water temp.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

thepest

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, the adapter plate wont work for me due to space requrements unless I relocate the oil filter. I'm already using a sandwich plate for the oil cooler thermostat.

I figured I'll have the temp sensor just after the oil cooler then, during normal driving it hardly reads anything, on the track I've had temps of up to 90deg (out of oil cooler)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.