Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: front or rear engine?
sa-fabrication

posted on 2/6/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
front or rear engine?

Hi all,

I am building my own custom design chassis, and I can't make my mind up as to what engine and where.

I am thinking of mounting a bike engine in the rear, providing the power direct to the wheels. But so far I have built the chassis to take the engine in the front.

Swings and roundabouts, bike engines are built for bikes, and if its in the rear it will probably make the car wheely.

What's your thoughts.

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

MakeEverything

posted on 2/6/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need to go to Newark in a couple of weeks and have a look at those already around. Just because they are bike engines, doesnt mean it will make a car wheelie.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MikeRJ

posted on 2/6/12 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sa-fabrication

Swings and roundabouts, bike engines are built for bikes, and if its in the rear it will probably make the car wheely.

Why would a bike engine at the rear make it wheelie, but a car engine at the rear would not? Notice the location of a bike engine in a bike...closer to the front than the rear but they can still wheelie. Weight distribution, wheelbase and height of COG will determine whether something is prone to wheelies, not the donor vehicle.

There are numerous successful mid-rear engined cars that either use bike or car engines such as the Sylva Mojo, Sylva RIOT/J16, Sylva J15, MEV Sonic 7, MK middy, the "Blitz" buggies, GTM Libra, GT40 replicas etc.

iank

posted on 2/6/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Not to mention the ASBO http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=170854

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

sa-fabrication

posted on 2/6/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I never said that it wouldn't wheely with a car engine in the rear.

I am going to Newark in a few weeks, hopefully with my trade stand.

I have been looking around again thismorning and I think I am going to put the bike engine in the rear. I will try and post some pics later.

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

maccmike

posted on 2/6/12 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Surely it wont be rear engined? It'll handle like poo.
sa-fabrication

posted on 2/6/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
Surely it wont be rear engined? It'll handle like poo.

Well that's what my worries were, so I thought I would start this thread to see what other peoples thoughts and experiences are.

twybrow

posted on 2/6/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
No offence, but if you need to come on here, to ask whether you should put your engine in the front, or the back, then I would think you need to do some more reading! By rear engine, I assume you actually mean mid-engined? Ie just behind the seats, but well ahead of the rear axle....?

If your chassis is built for front engined, I think you would be foolish to try and re-engineer it to mid-engine - I would start with a middy instead! Just my 2p worth!

Good luck with your build.

maccmike

posted on 2/6/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
either front or midengined. Unless you got millions and porsche contacts I wouldnt do that. You want the weight inbetween the axles. Let us know what you decide
b14wrc

posted on 6/6/12 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there sa-fabrication,

Where are you based? Welcome to come and have a look at mine sometime if your near cumbria??

I had similar ideas to you and built my own chassis design around the standard locost putting my transverse drive train in the back. The 20v turbo is canted farward and means its COG is going to be about 500 - 600mm in front of the axle, meaning mid engined.

Have a look at the work i have done, you might get some ideas.

quote "But so far I have built the chassis to take the engine in the front."

I have to agree with some of the other comments though, if you have already built your chassis to take an engine in the front, you might as well carry on as intended..... Its going to look a bit funny being as long as a standard locost and then a big section at the back also....just my opinion. My car retains almost the same wheel base as the standard locost but the front is a lot shorter.

A lot of work went into redesigning and developing to put the engine in the back. 2 years on and still not started it in steel yet! LOL.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.