Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Pinto gaskets doubt
xico_ze54

posted on 5/6/12 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Pinto gaskets doubt

hi there

I bought a full set of gaskets and oil seals for the entire engine, but I have some doubts about which of them are applyed in dry and others nead some kind of sealant or glue.

for instance: the thermostat housing in the engine head are a bit corroded, so I think it have to nead some kind of glue and others that I can't figure by the old gaskets if they had glue or not.

someone who had made this kind of total replacement of gaskets and seals could help me in a way to not make mistakes?

thank you

Amadeu

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 5/6/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
both thermostat and waterpump housing require a gasket sealent. (obviously one thats water resistant)

[Edited on 5/6/12 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 5/6/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I use sealant on all gaskets except head and exhaust
Never use sealants with bearing seals
I have had issues with sealant and oil pickup so use a thin layer to bond gasket to sump and letting set.
Rocker gasket is sealed to rocker cover then thinest of layer on cleaned head surface
I often use O rings and sealant for the rocker cover bolts

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

ss1turbo

posted on 5/6/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Rule of thumb - card or paper gasket, use sealant (and normally just the slightest smear to cover it - don't drown it). For anything composite, don't.

Cork ones tend to depend on what its sealing, but I tend to use a smear of something as its usually something that has a tendency to leak!

Rubber gaskets (more modern sump and cam cover), then refer to manual (but normally a no).
Any exceptions I can't think of...?

Long live RWD...

austin man

posted on 5/6/12 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
cork ones improve with a smear of grease plus ut holds them in place while you line the two faces up

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cork or paper gaskets put Blue Hylomar on one sisde and a very thin smear of silicone grease on the other that way you can de-assemble the joint.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.