Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone put twin 45s on a zetec?
scott-78

posted on 5/6/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone put twin 45s on a zetec?

Hi..
I have a silvertop 2.0 zetec engine and a set of 45 DHLA Dellortos which I planned to go together running mappable ignition (megajolt). On recently reading a Burton Power catalogue is says Zetecs run rough on 45's unless you purchase the progression hole Webers (which cost more!!) .. I appreciate with 45's its never going to like being cooped up around town at low speed etc but are they really that bad??
Your experiences on this would be much appreciated .....
Do I go ahead with the 45's or sell up and get some bike carbs from Bogg Brothers?

Also the 45's were off of a good running 2.1 Vulcan Pinto in decent tune and are a matched pair from new.

zilspeed

posted on 5/6/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I put an old set of ex Lotus 907 Dellortos onto my Zetec some years ago (about 98 IIRC)
Wec hose these because the local scrappy sold me them for £40.

We used Dave andrews mapping tool to choose the chokes and jets.

On our 1600 Zetec, I think we had 32mm chokes.

It ticked over like a watch and when you planted the boot from low revs, it moved through the progression onto the mains pretty much seamlessly.

Our modest choke sizes gave the engine an easy time moving through progression.

perksy

posted on 5/6/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Has Weber 45's on a 2 litre silvertop with 36mm chokes and 5 progression holes
Weber alpha and TPS
When it was set-up right it would pull in 5th gear from 1500rpm

Dellortos don't suffer with the same progression issues

neilp1

posted on 5/6/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I had twin 45s on silvertop zetec in my Tiger. Ran fine, in fact too fine around a bend where I totaled it!
scott-78

posted on 5/6/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
This is sounding quite positive so far, Im thinking that buying an inlet manifold and going with the 45's would work afterall.
Great to hear that other folks' cars haven't disapointed.

To sell them and go down the bike carb route would be more expense on a project that has taken waaaay longer than planned already!!
Didnt know Dellortos hadnt the issues with progression holes, although the info isnt as common on these of course.

mookaloid

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scott-78
This is sounding quite positive so far, Im thinking that buying an inlet manifold and going with the 45's would work afterall.
Great to hear that other folks' cars haven't disapointed.

To sell them and go down the bike carb route would be more expense on a project that has taken waaaay longer than planned already!!
Didnt know Dellortos hadnt the issues with progression holes, although the info isnt as common on these of course.

I'd go with the dellortos if it was me - worst case scenario is they don't work and you have to sell the manifold on ebay and get most of your money back - then go bike carbs. I think they will work though.

the progression hole thing wasn't just an issue with zetecs - I believe lots of engines didn't like them.

The dellortos have the advantage of being able to swap the choke sizes which gives the ability to move the torque and power up or down the rev range a bit. you can't do this with bike carbs

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

big_wasa

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had the five hole 152g 45's. It would tick over like a watch put you couldnt just plant it as it would bogg down and die. Fuel injection is much better.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 5/6/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a set of 45 DHLA's on something as small as a 1040cc Imp engine. Beautifully tractable, even when fitted to something as compromised as an Imp lump running R23 cams at low throttle.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWoLpDMZFts&list=UUyFWzcAohQlXMs-nutECxEw&index=7&feature=plcp

Should be superb on a Zetec? Look good too (OK, so it's an opinion).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.